“Do not visit this hotel!” 1 of 5 stars

Savoy Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Queens Promenade, Blackpool FY2 9SJ, England   |
Ranked #74 of 74 Hotels in Blackpool
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Do not visit this hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Below is an email complaint that I sent to the hotel. The response I have received so far has basically offered me to pay again for another stay at a discounted rate. The general manager clearly hasn't listened to my concerns. I have asked for a full refund and am already in contact with my solicitor with a view to take legal action where I will claim costs and damages in addition to the refund of the room. Please do not visit this hotel it is simply awful.

Savoy Blackpool hotel

I booked to stay at your hotel for 4 nights between 8th October 2012 and 12 October 2012.

We were especially excited as we were taking our mother for the first time to visit Blackpool and to see the bright lights. Unfortunately our holiday experience was way below our expectations thanks to your hotel.

We had raised our concerns prior to staying at your hotel after reading reviews via TripAdvisor. We were reassured that the reviews were not an accurate reflection and that you would make sure that the rooms would meet your high standards. As per your website "The Savoy hotel Blackpool has 145 beautifully decorated Bedrooms", this was certainly unfounded with our rooms when we visited the hotel.

When we first arrived at the hotel we were on the fourth floor, the lift only accommodated us to the third floor and we had to carry our luggage up a set of stairs. When using the handrail, it was sticky and dirty, not a great first impression. Our Mother entered her room first only to be hit by the cold draft through the whole room. When we tried to put the heating on, it didn't seem to work. We then went to our double room and fortunately our heating was working. However instead we were greeted by mould growing round the window, window sill and on the net curtains. There was tea left in the tea pot, and rings where the cups have been on the saucers. We then turned our attention to the bathroom and it got considerably worse, The door of the shower was broken, there was mould round the shower and there was a hole in the wall. (Please see photos attached)

As you can imagine we were not best pleased. We raised our concerns with the hotel management as soon as we had left the rooms on the Monday. It took two days for my mother to be moved to another hotel room (after two broken heaters were given to her on the Tuesday). We reported our shower problem and that also took two days to be fixed, then only for the door to fall off again! Therefore we were unable to have a shower in our hotel room for the duration of our stay. We wouldn't be able to use the fixture an fittings in the bathroom anyhow as they were falling off the wall (as per our photos).

Throughout the week we voiced our concerns about the cleanliness of the rooms to your staff. The staff were unhelpful, rude and were not taking our concerns seriously. An example was when in the dining room for breakfast. We noticed that the tea dispensers (hot water) was not turned on, the water was luke warm at best. I asked a member of staff to look at the hot water dispenser or to bring over some hot water for me. The member of staff said there was nothing wrong with the dispenser and offered no solution. It was very frustrating, as it added to the overall bad experience of the hotel. The food was also below par and the selection was poor.

Another example of the poor service was the chambermaid service. Looking past the poor cleanliness, when the room was "cleaned" they used my mother's flannel to wipe the bathroom down! It was dirty and black after returning from a day out in Blackpool. Completely startling to both my Mother and us.

We really love Blackpool and were extremely excited about our holiday. As one expected Blackpool was amazing but your hotel really was more of a horror story and we really felt let down by the rooms, food and service.

I don't think I have to inform you of the the health and safety risks that were present at the hotel, especially considering we had an elderly relative with us in a room with no heating. However, I am perfectly inclined to report the hotel to the local authorities in addition to trading standards as clearly you are falsely advertising the hotel.

I expect a speedy resolution from you in the form of a full refund.

Regards,

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have stayed many times in Britannia Hotels and have always found them comfortable and good value for money.

We have stayed twice at the Norbreck Castle in Blackpool on their dance breaks but, although we have been happy with this hotel, we decided to book The Savoy this time, partly because it is nearer to town and partly because I thought it was probably a bit classier than the Norbreck and there would be fewer children in the half-term break. Big mistake!

Generally, I agree with the comments of the previous reviewers. Our room was tiny - when the wardrobe door was open, it touched the end of the bed. On the Britannia website it states, “All en-suite rooms are spacious, comfortable …. “ Surely this is a gross misrepresentation! These rooms are only suitable for single occupancy. There was only one chair and only one bedside table in the room. There was a lot of dust in the room and there were filthy marks on the carpets. (Who on earth thinks it’s a good idea to have plain, beige carpets in hotel rooms?) We could not open the window and we could not look through the window because of the obscure glass. Even without the glass, I doubt we would have seen anything as there appeared to be a brick wall about two feet away. The room was very gloomy and depressing and we needed the light on all the time.

After unpacking and feeling really uncomfortable in the room, we pondered about whether it was worth asking for a change of room or whether, because we were only staying for two nights, we should grin and bear it. We decided there were too many things wrong with the room to do the latter so I phoned reception to request a better room. The receptionist informed me that there was only one other vacant room in the hotel and I was welcome to fetch the key and look at it.

The second room (Room 122) was very slightly better than the first in that the dirty marks on the carpet were not quite as bad and there was a bit of room between the end of the bed and the wardrobe. There were two chairs and two bedside cabinets. Although I really didn’t think it was worth moving, we decided to accept the room and re-packed our case and moved everything to the new room.

I decided to watch the news before going down to dinner but the television did not work. I rang reception and they said they would send someone to our room to fix the problem. Nobody arrived.

When my husband went into the bathroom to shave before dinner, he was disgusted to find dried excrement in our toilet. We did not complain at the time. Time was getting on, we were tired and hungry and we just wanted to have our dinner and then go out to see the illuminations. We assumed the excrement would be removed by the cleaner the next morning. We returned to our room at around ten o’clock that evening to find the television problem had not been sorted. I rang reception again and they said they would send somebody up straightaway. A few minutes later, a member of staff arrived with a different television, which did work. To add insult to injury, we could not hear the television because of the thud-thud of the disco that was immediately beneath our room. I believe there was a wedding reception in the hotel.

We spent the next day sightseeing and returned to our hotel in the early evening. We were even more disgusted to find that our toilet had not been cleaned and the excrement that was there on our arrival was still there! Because we were both exhausted, we just went to the restaurant for dinner, spent the evening in the town and returned to the hotel in time for bed.

From memory, I think we paid £190 for this two-day break. This is probably the most we have ever paid for a Britannia break. We have usually found them to be extremely good value. Because we have stayed in lots of Britannia hotels, we have accumulated Loyalty Vouchers, which I used in part payment for our stay at this establishment. We wondered if we given, probably the worst and second worst rooms in the hotel because we used the vouchers and did not pay the full price. Does anybody know whether this is the case? Have you had experience of using these Loyalty Vouchers? If this is the case, then I see no point in our taking part in this scheme. The vouchers are supposed to be a reward for loyal customers. If this is how they treat loyal customers, then I think they will be losing our loyalty.

I agree with the comments of the previous reviewer about the tone-deaf entertainer. I cannot believe they paid this man money to "perform".

On a more positive note, the waitress service in the restaurant was quite good and we were happy with the food.

As for the parking, there are only a few spaces at the hotel but there is free on-street parking so I really do not understand why the reviewer paid £10 per day in a car-park. We parked in the street at the side of the hotel and on the last evening, after moving the car, we parked about a hundred yards away, again, on the street for free.

I do believe not all the rooms are bad. We had a peek into one of the seaview rooms, which looked quite good, but I dread to think how much one has to pay to stay in one of these.

I have never ever before woken up in a hotel room, feeling glad that I was leaving that morning but that is how I felt at The Savoy.

Staying at The Savoy was not a happy experience and we certainly shall not be repeating it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SOUTH LANARKSHIRE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

In all the the reviews that i have added to this site i have always tried even when hard to provide positives. I have now found one where there is nothing decent to say about what in its day was probably a grand old building.
On arrival we were given our room on finding it towards the rear of the building the smell of cooking oil was overwhellming. Room two the floor below just as bad room 3 the attic small room with paper begining to peal from the walls.
The chair in the room was stained and the towels had seen much better days.
The soft furnishings in the landings as you can see from the photos were disgusting.
Breakfast was buffet and quality was poor to average.
I saw people at the reception asking for refunds and wanting to leave early. The entertainer i only wish i could post the video i took on the phone was awfull couldnt sing and tone deaf.
One of the party i was in described marks on his sheets on arrival as someone had gone over his bed on a skate board with dirty wheels.
I was asked by the maid if i needed anything refreshed in the room i asked for fresh towels and i woulod swear the only thing she did was fold the towel up presenting it as a replacement. Bed was not made either.
I have used other Britania Hotels in the past and i have never had anything bad to say about them. They are usually a reputable company but this hotel is a dump and i think they should get rid of it from their portfolio.

Room Tip: Sorry but best advice dont go.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bolton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Very small car park, but parked on nearby public car park (£10 per day). Went to reception where a gentleman was complaining about the parking facilities, I supported this gentleman as the 3 reception staff were saying there was no reimbursements for public parking. Eventually manager came and sorted out a parking space on their car park.
First room stunk of stale cigarette smoke, so we asked for a move which was on the top floor, stained carpet, peeling wallpaper, smell from bathroom. We had booked for my niece's wedding there so 2 nights @ £100 per night.
As we felt it wasn't upto an acceptable standard we decided to go home and commute to the wedding, even though all our family were staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: No refunds in advance booking, so before booking ask to see the room first
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed at the Savoy 2-5 Nov and after spending three very uncomfortable nights decided to investigate my bed. I discovered the most horrificly filthy, stained and rotted mattress that was full of holes and with a split down the side with all the stuffing falling out. How this ever got past the housekeeping staff I can't imagine. Won't be booking with Britannia Hotels again !!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 3374 and all rooms above 2nd floor as this is the extent of the lift.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Spalding, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The wife and I booked and paid months in advance supposedly at a special price without any chance of a refund. Unfortunately the hotel is very tired, wall paper and paint peeling off the walls an ceilings. The Bed room window that looked onto a wall rattled all the time, so had to wedge it with paper to enable us to get to sleep in the very small double bed (only 5 ft wide) Bedside cabinet only on one side of bed, so had to use the floor on the other side to put my things. The curtains were very tatty and linings ripped.. TV was very old and BBC was in black and white. Believe at one time there had been a bath/shower, but bath leaving only the shower cubicle. As for the shower it rained harder than the water from the shower, not enough power to wash your hair. When complained engineer came and said it is working, could be low pressure when other people are showering. Alas on final morning shower door fell off onto the wife, pinning her against the wall. When we complained at the Reception the wife said she was traumatised following the incident, only to get a reply from the young girl wearing her outdoor coat "that is a big word". She didn't ask if she was ok or not, but the room cleaner did ask the wife if she was ok. Couldn't fault the catering it was excellent and the waiters very helpful. Overall not an hotel I will use again, previously we had stayed at Norbreck Castle but opted for Savoy because it was nearer the town. Luckily with the bad weather the bus and tram stops were virtually outside the hotel.. My daughter was with us and her room appeared to have been refurbed because it had a bath with shower, but she had to complain on two occasions about loud tv noise from floor above..... Definitely needs a full refurb........

Room Tip: Possibly book 214 sooner than 217
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Savoy from 15th to 19th October 2012. The superior room booked was excellent with a sea view and separate sitting and bedroom areas. The staff were extremely friendly and helpul if asked for something out of the ordinary. A bulb which was not working in the room was repalced immediately it was requested. The food in the restaurant was good and offered an excellent choice, the waitress service was good.

Room Tip: ring up and speak to reception before you travel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!