“DO NOT STAY HERE...!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 74 Hotels in Blackpool
Leeds, United Kingdom
“DO NOT STAY HERE...!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is THE worst hotel in the WORLD.! Stayed with my Mum for a 2 night B&B for the illuminations on 12th & 13th October 2012. Unfortunately it was booked on a non-refundable basis over the internet (BEFORE we had read Tripadvisor).
The hotel is dirty - everywhere. It is damp and smelly, with falling plaster, gaps between skirting boards and walls, curtains ripped and draughty. The first room we were shown had filthy stains on the walls, holes in the doors, mould on bathroom tiles and windows and not a square corner in the room. We promptly went to reception and bluntly said we wanted a different room and gave the reason why. The receptionist never batted an eyelid, just gave us the key card to a different room. I can only presume that this is a regular occurance. The second room was not much better, but had a nice sea-view. The impression I got from the staff was that they are resigned to the fact that the hotel is a dump, but there is nothing they can do about it.
Breakfast was buffet style. The cheapest ingredients and overcooked. The worrying bit is that a piece of plaster, about 2' square, was loose and flaking just above the buffet counter. God knows what was dropping on to the food.
Evening entertainment. This consisted of a pensioner and a keyboard with a lot of echo on his mic. Now Blackpool must be teeming with talent and aspiring entertainment, so why settle for this?
Couldn't wait to leave and if this is the standard of big hotels in Blackpool, then I certainly won't be going to Blackpool again. Not one of the other guests we spoke to had a good word to say for the place either.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel, in Lytham perhaps?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Sale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just returned from 2 night half board. Hotel comfortable and warm. Clean room and fresh towels each day. We found all staff helpful and caring, especially in bistro where we had our excellent evening meal and breakfast.

We cannot believe how good the value for money is at this hotel, and the negative reviews on this site do not reflect reality.

We will certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

The place is not fit for a break away! The toilets in rooms dirty, the decor/curtains looked like it had been eaten by rats! Windows in bedroom couldnt be opened and were glossed shut! We booked as a 4 and were separated and put on 2 separate floors of hotel. The staff were unbelievably rude and had a couldnt give a toss attitude! Food was way below average and the fact all glasses and plates were dirty u didnt want to use them! Wont ever return!

• Stayed October 2012
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here for, thankfully, only one night. I wonder how many room 358s there are because I had that room and it was dreadful (see one of the previous reviews). The bed was like sleeping on a board, floorboards creaked, tv was ancient and couldn't even get bbc1, shower cubicle was mouldy, there was a swatted fly on the wall, the whole room looked and smelled grubby and crawling. The one good thing was the sea view - or it would have been if I could have seen it through the manky window.
We had to wait half hour for breakfast as the dining room was packed - rock hard inedible black pudding, fatty bacon, limp see through toast, solid fried bread, luckily the previous tray of fried eggs had just run out so we knew the ones we had had been freshly cooked.
There is only one lift carrying a max of 3 people and servicing both guests and housekeeping staff. Twice were kept waiting an interminably long time for the lift only, when it finally arrived, to have to allow housekeeping staff with fold up beds, linen and towels, to exit the lift before we could get in. Goodness knows how they cope when they have coach parties all trying to get to their rooms after check-in. When I arrived it was easier for me to carry my overnight bag up six flights of stairs than to wait behind 7 other guests to get in the lift.
The material on a lot of the chairs in the bar is torn (though they are quite comfy) and the woman who was serving in the bar was so miserable that I doubt she would ever get any tips (apart from "give us a smile").
Our company paid for 11 of us to stay here to attend a function at the Tower. When I get back to work on Monday I'll advise them to avoid this place like the plague next year (unless, of course, we've all caught the plague from our one night's incarceration).
A 1 rating for this place is generous but there isn't a minus.

Room Tip: The only way to choose a good room is to choose another hotel.
Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I went with a coach party and I think nearly everybody had complaints about the rooms and the service. The room my friend and I shared had misty windows, one with broken/missing levers, a badly rusted radiator and pipe, torn fabric on the chair seats, peeling wallpaper, dirty light fitting which had been moved and showed the previous colour of the ceiling and tape running up part of a window frame, presumably to stop water getting in as the woodwork looked water damaged. There was evidence of other windows having been taped at some time. The shower curtain had mould stains, the toilet seat was damaged, there were splashes down the tiles and a large of amount of filler round the basin which was rather grubby. We had to ask for more towels as only bath towels had been provided. The beds were very firm so we requested that toppers or quilts be put on, which they did. The bedroom door was a nightmare and needed two or three good hard shoves each time to get it open. We saw a couple of other rooms that other members of our party had, one had a huge pipe clad with foil-like insulating material running through the room and a window that had frosted glass and a fixed wire mesh over it so that you could neither see out nor open it. Some had windows that didn’t close properly. Other rooms had white washed windows, torn curtains and stained or worn carpets. The public areas were all very hot. The staff on reception were ok but in the restaurant some were rather brusque in their manner, hardly giving you a chance to read the menu before standing there with pen and pad poised to take your order and then practically throwing the food in front of you. We asked one waitress what she would recommend and she replied that she wouldn’t know what any of it was like as she didn’t eat it and informed us that as soon as her shift was finished she was off to get her bus home. We also bought a bottle of house red wine at the bar, but when we opened it, it was off and tasted bad. I took it back but the barmaid made no attempt at an apology and said she would have to speak to the manager. On her return she informed me I couldn’t have another bottle of red as that would mean two bottles wasted if I didn’t like that one either but I could pay for a more expensive bottle or have house white or rosé instead. It turned out they use Merlot or Shiraz for house wine and as I’d had the Merlot she swapped it for the Shiraz, which was fine. There was no concern about keeping a guest happy – it almost seemed that you were a damned nuisance. There is more I could say, but I would think this is more than enough to put off anyone thinking about booking at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The room was large and well appointed for one, but it would normally have slept three people. It looked out over the Queens Promenade and the Irish Sea. All areas of the hotel were in need of a good clean and a lot of money in refurbishment. The staff tried their best and I found them polite and helpful. However, this did not make up for the shabbiness throughout.
The breakfast was excellent and was buffet style. Dinner was nice but surprising. The main surprise was that a pork chop was called gammon on the menu. It was tasty nevertheless.
My stay was for one night and the DBB price was average in this part of Blackpool.

Hopefully the hotel can be restored to its former glories, and can move from shabby chic to sheik.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea. If the telly isn't working then you can count trams and bob...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Auchmithie ,Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spent a week in this hotel & that was more than long enough . It must have been grand in its day , but is now just a very run down place . From creeking floorboards to bedroom doors you had to shoulder charge to open , its well past its best . The room was large & the beds very comfy , even though the mattress didn`t fit the base of the bed . A good shower , but too few towels for the number of people in the room , which was four . The maid only appeared to make up the beds , very poorly , & didn`t hoover during our stay . The same threads were on the carpet throughout our time there . The breakfast was buffet style & very good , even though they kept running out of plates & some of the food etc . They took quite a while to replace the items required . The evening meal was table service & took forever . Too few staff for the number of guests seated . I don`t know if it was the same kitchen staff in the evening , but they were terrible . Food was very overcooked & tasteless . One evening with 10 people sitting at out circular table we were given one small dish with veg to do for us all . Portions were tiny & you were left still feeling hungry . After the meal the evening entertainment started in the dining room / ballroom . The bar in this room was never open & you had to go through to the reception area bar for your drinks . This usually was staffed by one person , who couldn`t cope with more than a couple of people waiting . Large queues built up & no other staff member helped out . The barperson also had to collect the empty glasses from around the seating areas , so the bar was unattended for long periods at a time . If you commented on this you got a curt reply in return . Not very customer friendly ! The Hotel is a fair bit out of the way of the main part of Blackpool & is very quiet . All in all not a place I would recommend & I certainly wouldn`t go back again .

Room Tip: Pick one that you can actually open the door of .
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!