“One night stay for illuminations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Alumhurst Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blackpool
Alumhurst Hotel
You added Alumhurst Hotel to your Saves list
13 - 15 Charnley Road, Blackpool FY1 4PE, England   |
Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Blackpool
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stoke on Trent
“One night stay for illuminations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Staff very pleasant, room very good nice and clean with everything we needed, breakfast was a bit chaotic but service was served with a smile. Bit disappointed we couldn't get parking on site but were guided to where there was ample parking, thank you for an enjoyable stay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your very nice review. It was good to meet you and we are delighted you enjoyed your visit here.
Pat & Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I will start with the positives..

1) Location – walking distance to everything!
2) Breakfast – Was really nice and the 2 ladies that ran breakfast were so very kind and sweet. They were working their tails off. I think they also clean the rooms. I almost felt a need to rescue them.
3) Cost – was priced very reasonably £40 for a single including breakfast.

Now onto the big picture:

I booked a group of 8 – we were not a hen party. We were not loud drunks who seemed to be in the masses in Blackpool. We were 8 women mostly in our 30’s and all with armed services/military affiliation. We’re pretty straight laced and some are not even drinkers.

Upon check-in, I discovered that my room was a broom closet. It’s a running joke that I always do the planning and pick the hotel when my friends and I go on a trip… and I always end up with the worst room. I really despise inconsistent room sizes. But, I could deal with it being small, but the fact that it smelled musty and there was NO air movement/ventilation or airflow was a disappointment. I walked down to ask Pat if there were any other single rooms. She answered me with “This isn’t London, love. This is Blackpool.” I’m well aware that I hadn’t booked the Mayfair, so I wasn’t expecting a suite with a TV in the bathtub. I’m sure she wanted to manage expectations but I didn’t appreciate the condescending tone, which I received a few times. It was so warm and with the small window open, I never got any kind of a breeze and literally had to sleep in my underwear on top of the duvet and was miserable. The room was clean but the carpets could do with a shampoo. I kept my socks on (even despite the warmth!)

What I do expect at a hotel is privacy and for all of my group to be treated like adults. What we experienced was like staying at your Aunt & Uncle’s house – complete with judgment and curfew. I felt like the owners were a bit too involved in their guests’ business. On our first morning at breakfast, Pat asked very loudly “How are the drunks doing this morning?” Yes, we were out the night before (this is Blackpool!), but once again, see above. Some of us had a few drinks, some did not. Regardless, it didn’t seem like small-talk, but more like pointing out that we had a late night out and in front of other patrons. I couldn’t imagine being questioned like that at the Hilton. One of the ladies in our group had a guest come back to her room (he did not spend the night & did not have a “free’ breakfast). She will be posting her own review because she was insulted and treated *terribly* as (Pat’s husband) who had clearly been watching her over the CCTV appeared in the middle of the night and gave her a “talking to.” I’ve honestly never in my life heard of something so intrusive and so offensive. If reception were 24 hours, perhaps she could have paid/registered her “guest,” but it’s not. That wasn't even the issue. They had a major problem with her personal choice, which again, is none of their business. We saw a lot of sights in Blackpool – loud, obnoxious, packs of intoxicated groups who were standing in the streets chanting, urinating, puking, etc. This was not our group but we felt that we were treated this way and to be honest, I’d rather walk across the street and stay with them than to feel the way that we did in this “tight ship.” I had an email from Pat waiting for me when I returned home explaining some of the hotel policies and we agreed to disagree but this whole experience has really turned me off to small family-run hotels. I value my privacy and those of my friends and while I understand that the owners are trying to provide a market for a certain clientele…. in a town of debauchery, you can’t pull the morality card when you own a 2Star hotel with wallpaper dating back to the 1970s!

P.S. The fancy/updated photos listed above are not the standard rooms. They are all double/triple the normal price.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have better air circulation (but have louder street noise).
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Carla, we have thought long and hard about how to reply to your review and having read through so many of our other reviews we know that we please so many of our guests and obviously we didn't please you. There are some unjust statements in your review, but it's too late now to worry about that. We have run this hotel for 40+ years and never had anyone say anything like that about us before, so we'll just have to agree to differ on how a privately owned hotel should be run.
Nathalia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed for 7 nights while attending the British Open, found it on the net and took a punt and couldn't have been happier with our choice, nothing was too much trouble and we had a ball. "Debrief's" each night in the cellar bar were fantastic. Steve and Pat were exceptional hosts and the breakfasts were sensational. We will go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your good review and I apologise for not replying sooner. Somehow I missed it completely. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here, we were certainly delighted to meet you having come all the way from Australia. The Golf Open week was brilliant and I know Steve enjoyed the company of all of you down the bar each evening, disecting the day's golf and looking at all the great photos the professional guys took.
Roll on the next Golf Open in St Annes.
Kindest regards
Västerås
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Officially just two stars, but the service and the atmosphere created by the proprietors makes the stay most valuable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thanks Mats, delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We could do with the 'Open' being on here every year. It's been a great week and we have met some absolutely lovely people, you included. All the different nationalities got on so well together. Ir's been a pleasure to work for you all.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

this hotel is great close to the shops night life shows and more me and my family have
been going to the alumhurst hotel for 15 years exsept for last year,
witch me and family will make up for this year, I would reconmend this hotel to anyone
any thing you want just ask and if thay can doit thay will, [ we know the people who run and
manage this hotel very well] we know what were talking about when you been going to the
same hotel for 15+ years

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter or just ask what you want
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Hi Val and Charlie,
Thanks for the lovely review and delighted to hear you are back this year. We missed you last year. You'll see some changes as we have redecorated 1st and 2nd floor rooms now and just the top floor to go this winter.
Thanks again
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in June 2012. Very welcoming hotel with laid back approach.

Basement bar was good fun with a Pool table and good juke box.

Location is absolutely excellent. A lovely street near the Town Centre and beaches.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Glad you enjoyed your stay here. Charnley Road is lovely in so much as we have all got together and put up our own Illuminations that burn all year round, our flowering tubs, flags and information ads that are there for everyone to see.
We are always pleased when a guest takes the trouble to post a nice review and we hope this means we will see you again sometime.
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed for one night for a trip to the Tower Ballroom. Pat was very helpful and friendly, sorted us a parking space and upgraded us to the 70's retro bedroom which was brilliant and spotlessly clean. An excellent breakfast served by friendly and efficient staff. Definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Thank you for the review and forgive me for not replying sooner. As usual keeping busy.
We are always grateful when guests take the time to write about us and doubly grateful when it is as nice as this. Thankyou and we hope to see you again sometime.
Pat & Steve

Been to Alumhurst Hotel? Share your experiences!