“lovely food cooked beautiful, always served hot” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 67 Restaurants in Windermere
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
sheffield
“lovely food cooked beautiful, always served hot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

lamplighter is a lovely place to eat, the food is always cooked beautiful and always served lovely and hot... (never had fish like it )

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London
“Awful. Would not reccommend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We came here on reccommendation from our hotel.
The room was very hot and stuffy. The service was good. The seafood we had was awful-almost inedible if we hadnt been so hungy.
The salmon was swimming in butter, it was gross. The haddock felt like it had been frozen for months. Was very tough and chewy.
We got out of there asap.
Would not go back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
ops_oldengland, Owner at The Lamplighter Dining Rooms, responded to this review, October 17, 2009
Dear Guest,

My apologies for the delay in responding to your comments on trip advisor, although I had done so some weeks ago they do not seem to have been posted.

I was naturally saddened to read your comments on the trip advisor site. Please be assured that it is never our intention that any guests would leave our property having had nothing bt the very best experience. I can only be sorry at this stage that you did not bring this to our attention prior to your departure from the restaurant as we would of course have endevoured to rectify the situation immediately.

Based on the comments that were made, I would advise that all of the fish is delivered daily to the hotel and I can assure you that the Haddock to which you refer had never seen the inside of a freezer. With this item being one of the most popular dish on the menu the order delivered in the morning is often sold on the same evening and is therefore as fresh as can possibly be he case.

With reference to the salmon, the dish itself is served with a parsley butter as stated on the menu, which is added at the last minute as the fish is finished for a matter of seconds under the grill. This element can be either removed completely or the size reduced to suit our guests tastes. I can assure you that should you have sent the dish back or made reference to this fact we would have immediately rectified the situation and re-plated or indeed re-cooked the dish for you.

We of course appreciate that all of our guests needs, tastes and views are different and I would thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the issues that you faced as well as your positive comments with regards to the service that you recieved. I am disappointed that we were not afforded the opportunity to address these issues for you.

I very much hope that dispite your comments that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the property in order that we may endeavour to redeem ourselves in your eyes and should I be of any assistance to you in this regard, then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With renewed apologies

Yours sincerley

Sue Tasker
Warrington,England
“Great Meal at The Lamplighter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Went to The Lamplighter over the bank holiday weekend for a birthday meal. The food was excellent, I would particularly recommend the scallops with black pudding which I had as a starter but could have eaten the same again for my main meal.
Try and sit on the first floor looking out of the large windows up the street. Great atmosphere, great location, a must.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
lancashire
“great food lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

after sampling our breakfast of real bacon and cumberland sausage in the hotel part of the building we had no choice than to try the bar food. sue was there to greet us (i do not think they ever stop). there was a huge selection on chalk boards from currys to dover sole to drunken bullock. it was served on huge plates at what can only be described as bargain prices. we ended up to scared to try anywhere else this time, but we are looking forward to our return visit next month. thanks to all. food to die for.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
England
“My favourite "gastro" pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Make no mistake, this is no michellin star cuisine. But this wonderful pub restaurant located in windermere is not about refined food. Its about honest, simple food cooked well and served without an ounce of pretence.

We've been going here for over 10 years on/off and they've never let us down. Sure the decore is rather 70s, food repatoire is not much of deviation from your standard pub food but so what! Char (local trout) is beautifully cooked with herb butter, potted shrimp rich and delicious and even the chilli is good. And its a bit like going to your favourite auntie's - you'll never leave the place hungry. Oh and the sticky toffee pudding with cinder icecream isn't bad either. And you could have a shouting match with your slightly deaf grandfather without getting embarrassed at all - everyone's being jolly and cheerful they wont even notice.

They do fall a bit flat on the drink selection though - they have a tiny bar and therefor only 3 or 4 draught beers. I never understood this bit for a place that should sell itself as a gastropub but hey ho, it wont stop me going there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere