“Fabulous food and service.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 67 Restaurants in Windermere
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Dined here on Friday 28 March. Had reserved a table online and received a warm welcome on arrival. The food and wine were excellent, the service polite and attentive without being overbearing, and it was a shame we were not staying in the area longer as we would have undoubtedly returned to eat there again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Kinver, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

From booking to paying, my boyfriend and I had a great experience at The Lamplighter. The staff were so friendly and made us very welcome. The food was delicious - very hearty generous portions, too! Great value for excellent food & a very well stocked bar. I would be back in a flash...if only we didn't live over 3 hours away!

Visited March 2014
Windermere, United Kingdom
“excellent night from start to finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We went for a meal a few weeks ago on a Saturday night and were very impressed with the food and the service was first class. The lady serving our table was very polite and friendly and explained in great detail about their Sunday roasts (traditional Sunday roasts dinners) and we can't wait to try it out. keep up the good work everyone and we will see you very soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Disappointing Reception”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

On my recent visit to beautiful Windermere, this restaurant, Lamplighter, came highly recommended by the owner of our guest house. However, no certificate of excellence nor high recommendation should excuse inhospitable service. There were only two couples in the restaurant and yet the gentleman who I presume to be the owner or chief waiter, chose to completely ignore my husband and me and gave his attention solely to the only other two guests. He invited the other two to go sit in the main restaurant and left my husband and me unattended in the back room. When he finally appeared to ask what we wanted we told him we had come to dine at the restaurant but if his cold reception was any indication of this restaurant's service, then we will take our patronage elsewhere. We promptly left to dine elsewhere where we would be welcomed. Our visit to the Lake District has been marred by this experience at the Lamplighter Restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
JDTasker, Owner at The Lamplighter Dining Rooms, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear SatrnR,

I must apologise for the delay in responding to your review. I have to confess that it has taken the weekend for me to calm down.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences whilst at The Lamplighter. We greatly value all of the feedback that we receive both positive or as in this case negative as it is only by way of such information that we are able to evolve and improve the high levels of customer service for which we are renowned throughout the area. I would apologise most unreservedly that we did not exceed your expectations on any level,

Let me however set the record straight as the content of the review does not in any way reflect the actual events.

Just prior to your arrival I answered the phone in another part of the building and spoke with a guest holding a part with us that weekend. Whilst on the call a member of the kitchen team advised that two couples had entered the main bar and were seated with menus. I politely made my excuses and and went to the bar. I acknowledged both tables (but mistakenly it would appear) went to the other guests first, took them through to a table in the restaurant after offering my apologies for the delay (5 minutes) and returned immediately to your table.

I again apologised and asked if you would like to dine with us. Your husbands response was we were but we will now be leaving. I again apologised at which point your husband said it was a shame as you had been recommended. I again apologised for the delay, said that I hoped that you would reconsider and reaffirmed that the food served were worthy of the recommendation. No matter what I said your husband continued in this manner and you left the restaurant, a decision which I of course respect.

Your inference that I left you and did not care about you in any way was completely unfounded. I immediately returned after attending to the other guests. I do not know of any restaurant in the world where a member of staff would try and speak with two tables simultaneously that were located at opposite ends of the room.

On the last point I am only sorry that this experience marred your entire visit to The Lake District although I note that you had a wonderful time at the the venue at which you stayed and also the alternate restaurant that you dined at and can only hope that you wrote our review first. We care passionately about what we do are deeply hurt whenever such comments are made and can not but take them personally, even more so when they are completely untrue.

I can only hope that you will return to The Lake District at which point we would be delighted to welcome you back to The Lamplighter as our guests. I would also be happy to discuss anything further with you directly on 01539443547.

With renewed apologies

James
Preston
“So good we went back a second time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

The food and service here are absolutely first class. However, one thing that could be looked at is the entrance area. It looks like a reception desk but as there is no one on duty there you are left to just find your own way through. Maybe a sign welcoming guests and pointing in the right direction? In fact the first sign you see as you come in is for the Gents Toilets!! Speaking of which, my husband says that there are many certificates of excellence in the outer area - surely these should be out on display in the main restaurant? Having said that, however, once you do get there the food and service are wonderful and I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere