“Beautiful view but thats about all.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 67 Restaurants in Windermere
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful view but thats about all.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I recently went for a fact finding mission to this hotel to see if I wanted to base my next holiday here. We went for coffee in the garden and sat down to wait for someone to take our order, and waited and waited. No one came so we went indoors to order. The staff were obnoxious and very self important. It was £14 for 2 coffees and a tea which took half an hour to arrive with no apology for the delay. It seemed that a select few of the guests were very favoured but the rest were an inconvenience. So my recommendation is go another mile down the road to the Swan Hotel which sits on a beautiful river, is very friendly and much more reasonably priced. The foods good too.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Deelish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Really lovely setting, fantastic food and great service a bit pricey but well worth it we would definitely eat there again!!

Visited June 2014
UK
“Afternoon Tea in a lovely location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My birthday present from my 12 year old son (via my husband) was Afternoon Tea for us both at the Lakeside, the hotel is in a lovely setting with wonderful views. However there were some down sides, firstly the Conservatory is an ideal setting for Afternoon Tea, but the almost constant stream of people walking through to access their rooms or the Spa is a little off putting, so perhaps it would be better to request a table a the far end of the Conservatory. Secondly the drinks and sandwiches arrived promptly and, when they were finished, a waitress brought the jam and butter. We then had to wait more than 15 minutes for the cakes and scones. I queried why it was taking so long and was told that they are hand finished to it takes time. I did query why then had they brought out the butter and jam so early and that, as we had booked in advance, our booking was not a surprise "walk in", but the waitress just shrugged an apology before disappearing. The final event that made my mind up not to return was when we were charged for my son's lemonade! It was clear from the voucher we handed over that it was his present to me. Being a fairly typical 12 year old, he is not keen on drinking tea, yet we were still expected to pay £2 for a glass of lemonade. The Afternoon Tea for 2 costs almost £50 and I would have expected that they could have run to a complimentary glass of lemonade in lieu of a pot of tea, but clearly not. I did not want to make a fuss as he was already embarrassed that his present to me had cost money so paid without saying anything. But then, with a hotel of this standard, I should not have to!

yorkshire
“Nice pint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Great beer, great service and fantastic location. The bar area is comfortable and the hotel itself looked top notch. Will plan to stay/eat here in next few months.

Visited May 2014
Leeds
“Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Steak and Ale pie to die for! Great service from well motivated staff who enjoy going the extra mile.

Visited April 2014