“Michelin starred - why?” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 67 Restaurants in Windermere
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Michelin starred - why?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I ate here last night - we're staying in the lakes for a week and wanted to eat here to see what all the fuss was about. Given it's held a michelin star for 13 years, you'd expect nothing but perfection. Wrong! The meal was nothing short of a disappointment, although the location and decor in the hotel is fabulous. The evening got off to a bad start with an incredibly pompous Sommelier - unfortunately he managed to get my back up from the moment we stepped through the door. I was driving so couldn't drink, and my wife doesn't drink much, and only wanted a glass of house white. The attitude we received for asking for a house white was utterly unnecessary - I thought we'd moved away from this kind of service in restaurants, but obviously not. Anyway, putting this episode to one side we moved on to the food. Which was average at best. The canapes were bland, the starters not much better, and the mains were unimaginative. If you're looking for food with a wow factor, don't eat here. Holbeck Ghyll is a very old fashioned lakes hotel - the service is stuffy and the atmosphere staid, and it's expensive - in fact the cost is beyond a joke. We paid £150 for 2, and the only drinks we had were a glass of white and a coke. We won't be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Jersey, United Kingdom
“DELICIOUS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This restaurant was amazing. First class attention to detail. Food was perfect and the staff were brilliant. We will go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
American in the UK
“Felt like I was dining at Downton Abbey :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Granted, my husband and I were given a gift voucher for a full dining experience at the Holbeck Ghyll (otherwise we probably wouldn't have been able to afford it under normal circumstances ;) but WOW, we had a special time we had! It was liking dining at Downton! Gorgeous setting, moving from room to room, drinks on trays, constant attentiveness, and obviously scrumptious food (I had the fillet)....It was an experience we will never forget!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Great food, lovely experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Came here for my honeymoon, and had very nice canapes and champagne in the lounge before the meal, which is a nice touch.
Meal is so tasty and good portions, as sometimes top restaurant tend to go too small with everything! Lovely dining experience and service flawless.
Must visit in lake district.

Oxford UK
“Get it in writing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Booked a table for 4 for a Saturday night 2 months ago. Never received an e-mail or other contact. Thought I would confirm but was told the resevation had been made for Friday night, not Saturday and 'couldn't understand why an e-mail confirming the reservaton had not been sent'. Now searching for somewhere to eat to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Appalling service.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere