“Wonderful honeymoon meal” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
London
“Wonderful honeymoon meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were a little nervous about coming to the Holbeck Ghyll as some of the reviews about the service weren't great, luckily we only experienced excellent service and food. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the sommelier recommended a perfect bottle of wine. The food was delicious, my favourite being the chocolate tasting dessert - WOW! My husband had asked to keep a note of the wine, however we forgot to write it down - but the very next day we got a text message from the sommelier telling us the name of the wine we had, what amazing staff! If you want incredible food with a stunning view over Lake Windermere then do not miss having dinner here.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
“Very very good - recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous setting overlooking Windermere and the mountains beyond. The staff are friendly and attentive. It was my husband's birthday and i had asked in advance for a table by the window and was given it -which was lovely of the staff. We started off with cocktails. One was excellent and one ok. The food was very good in general. Great amuse bouches, then I had the scallops- good, followed by the best lamb ever. Husband wasn't as impressed with his choices. He felt that the crab was a bit boring and the beef too swimming in jus. His slight disappointment disappeared with the superb lemon plate for dessert. Sublime...

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
“Nice views, but there are better places”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Had a booking for canapés at eight to dine at 8.30, but it was 9 before we were seated and getting on for 9.30 before my drink and our starters arrived. As others have said the view from the terrace was fantastic, but the service wasn't that great, and whilst the food was nice, there are other (cheaper) places in the Lakes that I would choose before coming here again.

Visited July 2013
West Midlands, UK
“Inspired by the film 'The Trip'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Visited here for our wedding anniversary after being inspired by the film 'The Trip'; which incidentally I think is a brilliant film. At first I thought we were being ignored as we were left in the lobby for a good 20 minutes after checking in, on time, but that was no indication of the quality of the food & service; and on reflection in an age of rush, rush it was nice to take in the this beautiful building. Despite it being a Sunday evening the restaurant was very busy; the service was absolutely outstanding as was the food. would definitely come here again but hopefully during daylight to take in the view.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool
“Good but somehow not worthy of a Michelin star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were aware that there was a Michelin starred restaurant in Windermere and stumbled upon this whilst out cycling on a weekend break. Curiosity got the better of us so we took a look at the hotel and were lucky enough to get a booking for that evening. From what we saw of the hotel it was beautiful but the setting and the view is this hotels selling point. We sat outside for drinks and canapés before our meal which were delicious, so we anticipated equally good meals. I ordered tuna for my starter which was a small number of 1cm cubes of raw tuna fish. There was no indication on the menu that the tuna was uncooked - i couldnt eat raw fish so my partner ate this. The waiter, when collecting the plates, asked if we enjoyed our starters and I explained that I hadn't expected the tuna to be raw, he disappeared quickly from our table! My partner ordered ham hock, as a starter which was ok but we had chosen that the previous night at the hotel where we were staying and it was far superior there. The main courses (mine turbot, my partner chicken) were at best mediocre. I am a big dessert lover but found it difficult to choose a dessert as none of them seemed very appealing, I had the date pudding which was sticky toffee pudding re-named. All in all a disappointing meal and not what one would expect when paying in excess of £170 plus tip

• Visited July 2013