“Perfect Stay, wonderful staff, 5 star Dining” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Winter Offer From £109DBB
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Windermere
Ontario Canada
“Perfect Stay, wonderful staff, 5 star Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

A great treat to be staying at a beautiful hotel, Hillthwaite House in the Lake District.
Accommodation was super - staying in a 2 bedroom suite in the Lodge. Congenial staff helped research a great tour company called "Mountain Goat" for two Canadians on a first time venture to the Lakes.
Creativity of the chef made our dining experience truly memorable. The desserts - so delicious. Breakfast was enjoyed over looking the vistas and a friendly chat enjoyed with the staff.
Great to find an indoor swimming pool after a day out to relax in.
I would love to recommend this hotel for anyone touring the Lakes. Their website has great specials and I am sure this spring the gardens will be glorious.
Pauline Kibbe
Campbellford, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Bradford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

We were not dissapointed by this hotel. I had not read any reviews about it , just checked their website.. The accommadation was excellent, staff extremly helpful and pleasant . The views were inspiring and i spent a few hours watching the landscape change with the changing light. Both my wife and i were bowled over by the standard of the food in the restaraunt which was exquiste along with the service,. The staff could not have looked after royalty any better, in fact i would go so far as to say they treat you like royalty. We had an extremely enjoyable week there. The whole place felt like a home from home,

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

I can only concur with previous reviews of Hillthwaite House which focus on the positive aspects of this hotel. The welcome and service in this hotel cannot be faulted - particularly in the restaurant which provides a reasonable quality evening meal, of five courses, within the overall cost of the stay. The accommodation was comfortable - and afforded a welcome weekend break. The hotel is clearly in need of a sympathetic reburbishment, in order to meet popular standards - refreshed carpets and decoration would certainly add to overall comfort.
However,within its price bracket, I would suggest that this is an average hotel in Windermere, and negative reviewers can only have been seeking a very cheap weekend away for a Samling standard of accommodation!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Having booked a relaxing weekend away at Hillthwaite House I was slighly concerned about the few bad reviews on TripAdvisor. I shouldn't have been, and neither should anybody reading this, because the Hotel was absolutely wonderful, from a warm greeting on arrival a briiliant newly refurbished room and the excellent food and service. I dont know where the guests who gave bad reviews stayed but it surely wasnt where I stayed. We stayed in Room 16 which has fantastic panoramic bay window from floor to ceiling giving views across the lake and mountains, you just sit it the window, maybe sipping the comlimentary wine, admiring the fantastic views.Complimentary tea and coffee facilities were very welcome as was the fridge, yes a fridge, to keep my wine cool. The bed was so big you could get lost in it and the bathroom was bright and modern with a jaccuzzi bath. The whole room was absolutely spotless to which my wife personally complimented the housekeeping staff on our departure. The food in the restaurant was excellent, a five course meal with each course being just the right amount to leave you looking forward to the next and to finish of with dessert and tea or coffee. The evening meal menu changed daily and there was a wonderful choice for breakfast in the morning. But my biggest compliment has to go to all the members of staff from a warm welcome from reception on arrival, the brilliant restaurant staff and the ever unseen housekeeping staff who keep the whole place spotless. Thank you all for a most wonderfull stay, we will most certainly be returning.

Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

From three very satisfied customers , me , my partner & Daisy the dog . As somebody who has travelled widely staying in some of the best hotels world wide I have nothing but positive comments to make about our romantic Valentines weekend at the hotel . I can only think that those who have made such disparaging comments must have been staying somewhere else . Yes . I would agree that first impressions as you enter the hotel leave a lot to be desired in terms of dated decor , tired carpets etc but once you see beyond that I have nothing but good things to say . As for comments about the food I am absolutely bewildered as I thought the quality & variety of food on offer was excellent . I was particularly impressed with the extensive choice of cooked food at breakfast. When I made the booking I was a little apprehensive about what to expect from the bedroom as I was advised only certain rooms were available to those with dogs . I was delighted therefore to be given a large garden room with a huge bed , large settee for Daisy & a brand spanking new en suite . Although confined to the Conservatory when with the dog this was no hardship & Daisy enjoyed greeting all who came through the door very enthusiastically . I found all the cosmopolitan staff extremely efficient & friendly & I was only too pleased to add an appropriate gratuity to my bill to reflect this . We were also given complimentary tea & cream scones on the Saturday afternoon . Apart from the decor my only two very minor gripes relate to the small bath towels ( bath sheets please ) & the extra nightly cost for the dog . Not sure why this is necessary ? . I would love to return to Hillthwaite House & have already recommended it to others .

lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Just arrived back from a fantastic half term break to the Lakes staying at The Hillthwaite House Hotel in Windermere. I too was was a little cautious after reading the negative comment BUT I cannot believe it was written about the same hotel my husband and I stayed at. This was our first visit and it certainly will not be our last. Everything from the VERY WARM welcome to the delicious food and pleasant room was first class. The staff at the hotel couldn't do enough to make our stay a most enjoyable one. The room was comfortable and very clean. Some friends came to visit us for a night and took advantage of a swim in the pool and stayed on to enjoy another mouthwatering 5 course meal. The lovely views over the lake and mountains beyond shown in the brochure were real. The location is central to Bowness and Windermere and although situated at the top of a steep incline it was not a problem to us as it added to the charm of the of the hotel's high rise position. I can imagine it would be wonderful in summer to sit on the garden terrace enjoying such majestic views- here's hoping!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Cheshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

I wanted to take my girlfriend away for a romantic break in the lakes and having read the reviews on this site Hillthwaite House seemed just what we were looking for. However, the whole thing was a huge disappointment, I only wish we had walked out immediately like the last but one reviewer (26 January) on this site. I am not usually one to complain, in fact this is the first poor review I have given, but this place really let us down in a big way. The hotel is incredibly dated and very tatty. The rooms are full of cheap MFI type furniture and the bathrooms made out of plastic with dirty shower rails. Our deal included a five course 'gourmet' meal, which was terrible. My girlfriend's starter of honey on toast set the scene. The second course was tinned soup, the pudding we couldn't eat and I had the most measly portions of cheese possible. Even the chocolates afterwards 'the petit fours' were inedible, it staggers me how anywhere can even make chocolate taste bad. And just to show it wasn't a one off the breakfast the next day, a full English, was even worse. I would say on par with a poor greasy spoon. I am not adverse to greasy spoon, as long as you don't get charged restaurant/hotel prices! The cooking standard was terrible and there is no way this was produced by a qualified chef. The next day we checked out a day early and were charged extra for the room plus an admin fee, in total £75 more taking the total for one night to a staggering £270. Considering the hotel was empty this was the icing on the cherry on the cake. the extra £75 was worth paying though just to get out of the place. We weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay or if there were any problems, which smacks of this happening on a regular basis. I have stayed in many places in the Lakes and have always had a great time. This time sadly we got caught out, just make sure you don't. As for the positive reviews about this place, these people need to try out a few of the other hotels around as they will no doubt be blown away. We went on to the Drunken Duck in Ambleside afterwards and this place was delightful, plus served amazing food and very friendly.

• Liked — The restaurant staff
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hillthwaite House Hotel? Share your experiences!