“Beautiful hotel and location” 5 of 5 stars

Dinner, B&B from £139prpn
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Windermere
Certificate of Excellence 2014
York, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have been to the Hillthwaite hotel many times and I cannot find another hotel in the Lake District that comes close to this one. The hotel is in a perfect location to explore Bowness and Windermere, with the most beautiful views of the lake.

The rooms are always clean and comfortable and the staff are fantastic. They are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble.

The restaurant has a lovely feel to it with delicious food. The evening meal is a 5 course meal with fantastic choice. The staff are also excellent in the restaurant.

The hotel is always incredible value for money and I should have written this review a long time ago to thank the hotel for continuous perfect stays. I cannot think of one negative thing to say.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hillthwaite, for the first time, as part of a group of ladies celebrating my sister in law's upcoming wedding. There were 8 of us in total, a few of which have stayed at the Hillthwaite before. I was prepared for an enjoyable weekend and had been informed about the great staff and lovely food...and they couldn't have been more right!

We were so well looked after from start to finish and the food was superb! It was a different menu each night and there was plenty of choice, making excellent use of the local produce. The room I stayed in was very spacious and clean and although it didn't have a view, it was close to the pool, which was a bonus!

We had such a relaxing and fun stay that we even talked about it being an annual thing! I certainly wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Hillthwaite again, in fact, I've just been looking at their New Year offers!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cheshire ENgland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Hotel:

This hotel is about 1 mile walk away from Windermere town centre. It located half way up a hill so the views it commands are excellent of Windermere and the surrounding mountains and passes. The hotel has a lovely dining area and lounge with a fire. The large conservatory is pleasant too and I beleive that this is due to be extended round the property.

The Dining:
We went on a Dinner Bed and Breakfast offer and so we upgraded to a superior room for the view. We went for a break before my wife had her baby, which at the time of writing is now 8 days overdue!

This included a fantastic 5 course meal every night and either buffet and or waiter served a la carte breakfast. I suspected that the menu might get a bit limited after 3 days but the menu changes changes daily according to what the chef get in that morning. We had alsorts and it was all excellent. There was a mixture of quality vegetarian options, game (different everynight), lamb, venison, duck, pheasant, chicken, pork, soups, sorbets. My wife had the desserts and she said she enjoyed them. I stuck to the cheese which in my view was excellent, not too big which is sometimes the temptation in some establishments. The dessert wine on offer is a good quality, I woudl have liked to have seen a couple more muscats or some other botryfied wine but it was good.

One thing I did not like was that the atmosphere in the lounge was not quite right. The music is 5 notches too quiet so rather stifles conversation. The tables for couples are too close together in the dining room, you feel like you are top of eachother listening in to their conversation. I appreciate that space is an issue but I do think that they coudl do with spacing out a bit and mood music turning up a bit so you can at least make out what it is.

Retiring to the lounge and fire was cosy and enjoyable.

There is the option of a fillet steak every night with a supplement. I have no issue with a supplement at all, I eat what I want but I would say that I have had much better fillet steaks elesewhere and that you are actually better off sticking to the daily menu- the chef does a very good job.

Eggs benedict every morning was good 2/3 mornings. The third morning it was over cooked but acceptable.

Bedrooms:

Our room was an en suite with a views of the lake and mountains. The bathroom is newly refurbished but the room itself, was a little tired, particularly the curtain and blind combination which do not fit the window. The room was adequate, very clean nothing to really complain about but then again nothing particularly great. I beleive that the hotel does refurbish continually but for the price I really think overall it is excellent value.

Staff:
The staff were very welcoming and obviously experienced, benefiting from the family run business environment. The staff were attentive. On a couple of accasions one member of staff seemed a little militaristic if you didn't fit in with the "schedule", you'll know who i mean if you visit- but it was just funny really- a bit of charachter.

Overall:
An excellent hotel with a fantastic value food, a good find that will be wanting to return to. I would recommend it and would visit again.

Room Tip: In order to get a view of any description you have to pay for the superior rooms, although some of t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Booked two nights, only stayed the one............. First night was fine, on the second night came down to dinner and sat at the same table we had breakfast on and dinner the night before. The restaurant was pretty empty, only had three couples seated and the room was quite cold so felt quite relieved our table was next to the radiator. Was then asked to move to another table, on looking round the empty restaurant I explained I felt cold and asked to stay we're we were seated. I was then told if I didn't move then I would get another guests dinner as that table was for another couple however, he would speak to the chef. I thought the behaviour was somewhat strange and his manner surely but decided to ignore the odd behaviour. After an hour of waiting and watching the other three tables eat into their third course decided to ask if our starter was on the way....... Was advised that due to the fact I had sat on the table that was allegedly for someone else (still in the empty restaurant and no sign of any other guests appearing) had resulted in the delay........ After a heated exchange from the waiter who proceeded to then wave a notice stand at me saying we should of waited to be seated and reminded me again that I was not in the allocated table had caused the delay in our food arriving...........Due ludicrous statement and embarrassing outburst of behaviour from the waiter, i then asked to speak to the owner who advised this was out of character and most unusual..... Most definitely unusual and rude, we thought........ By this time we had lost our appetites and decided to check out even though it was quite late into the evening as the weekend was ruined.........

• Stayed December 2012
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite House Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
We can only describe this scenario as extremely regretable. What started as a simple misunderstanding between the guest and a member of our staff developed into a sequence of events which unfortunately affected the high standard and quality of service we normally achieve and which apparently on this occasion the reviewer didn't experience, Over the years one of our greatest assests has been the warmth of welcome and the unobtrusive service for which our all staff have received and continue to receive so many compliments both verbally and in writing from our guests, and reference to other Trip Advisor reviews will confirm this. However, as a team we will undoubtedly all learn from this totally out of character and bizarre incident and re-double our efforts to ensure that all our guests, irrespective of circumstance, receive the same high standard and warmth of service upon which much of the Hillthwaite's reputation over the years has been gained and that an occurrence such as this will not be repeated in the future.
Telford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Booked directly with hillthwaite day before for two nights for family with small child under one. Explained needed room that was suitable for family and not too far from facilities as had a buggy to take to room. On arriving room was up two flights of stairs certainly not suitable for a buggy. Was told we could leave it in the conservatory at our own risk! The break was meant to include a Christmas evening with entertainment. All that happened was one of the workers played Christmas music whilst we ate our meal then played songs we had to guess to win a bottle! Was told not enough people so the entertainment had been cancelled. The next morning at breakfast we were seated at the same table and found that the high chair hadn't been cleaned and the food from the evening before had not been cleaned off the floor! All in all not a restful break! Also there were still clothes in the drawers left by previous people

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SOUTHLAKER, Manager at Hillthwaite House Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your review – we appreciate the time taken to respond. It’s safe to say we could have done better here. The highchair should have been cleaned thoroughly and you should have been told that the formal entertainment had been cancelled (as everyone else was). I believe we did find lodgings for your buggy. Please be assured that our staff will be disappointed to hear your feedback, particularly after a run of very positive TripAdvisor reviews. We would of course, be delighted to welcome you back and endeavour to offer you the relaxing break that many of our loyal customers believe we offer.
The Lake District
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Our little group came back to Hillthwaite again this Christmas for our festive get together, there was no need to look for a venue, as it was agreed "unanimously" that there was quite simply only one place to go HILLTHWAITE..

Yet again the hotel did us proud !! The service, the table layout, the surroundings and most of all the staff... It was equally as good as last year, in fact even better...

A finely tuned operation that has once again delivered a "World Class Experience" and made the start of Christmas truly magical...

The food was outstanding as well !!! FULL Christmas Menu with plenty of options to choose from.. in fact the meal was "that good" some of us were hoping to come back for a second helping the following Sunday.. But sadly, commitments have made it not to be so.. Mores the pity!!!.. But we "will" be returning to Hillthwaite throughout the coming year..

A very very "special place"

Thank you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We came here on a two night Living Social Deal and had a great stay. The staff were helpful and friendly, the lounges a great place to relax, the food excellent and the room had everything we needed. A special thank you to Paula for her friendliness

Room Tip: Room 25 - was fairly small with no view but lacked nothing and the bathroom was particularly good wi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hillthwaite House Hotel? Share your experiences!