“Get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oakdene Apartment Suites

You added Oakdene Apartment Suites to your Saves list
Oakdene Apartment Suites
98 Oak Street,Windermere | Cumbria.The Lake District., Windermere LA23 1EN, England (Formerly Oakdene Apart-Hotel)   |
Ranked #97 of 111 Windermere B&B and Inns
Liverpool
“Get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed on Saturday 22 Feb for one night:

PROS:
- spacious (Apt 1)
- central location (2 min walk from Bowness shops and restaurants)
- reasonable price (by Lake District standards!)
- friendly landlady
- price includes free swim at nearby Best Western (invaluable in wet weather!)

CONS:
- dated decor and appliances
- DVD player didnt work and TV only had normal range of freeview channels despite being Sky
- unfriendly landlord (reporting the faulty DVD player at 6pm seemed to be the most unreasonable thing to have done and we had numerous grumpy comments made as if somehow we were an inconvenience not paying guests!)

Conclusion:
Was our cheapest option for a short notice decision to visit and it served a purpose but wouldn't stay there again I'm afraid. Other people have reviewed more positively so no doubt suits some people perfectly and others not.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
topdropper, Owner at Oakdene Apartment Suites, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you felt our apartment was not up to your standard. I cannot understand why you would book, probably the cheapest establishment in Windermere, and then expect it to be the best in Windermere. For an apartment for 5 people you paid £115 for one night on a Saturday during half term, believe me that is unbelievable value for money. I cannot understand why if you did not like it ? you said how nice it was on arrival.I let you check in at 12.30 in the morning, I gave you a pass for two days at the leisure center even though you only stayed one night. The photos on our web site show exactly what the apartment looks like, you got exactly what you booked, I except that the DVD player was not working, but unfortunately sometimes things do get broken and I did not know it was broken until you came and told us at 7 pm on this Saturday night. My husband was in bed with flu, and I dragged him out of bed to see if he could fix it for you. I am sorry if he was grumpy, he was really very ill, but I except that is no excuse. I could not get a replacement at that time of night,but my husband told me you had your own?so I didn't worry. I have since replaced it with a new one. We supply Sky TV as we advertise. I believe we give the best value for money for accommodation in Windermere which includeds Free off street parking, I acknowledge that decor is a matter of taste and you can't please everyone, as everyone's taste differs, but we do supply modern kitchens and bathrooms, all but one apartment has two bathrooms ( including the one you booked) with bath and walk in shower. All our apartments are furnished with quality furnishings nothing has chips or marks on it, our beds are top of the range, as as is our bedding, and everything is spotlessly clean. We supply tea and coffee making facilities and towels and toiletries. We do ask our guests to wash up their dishes as we are not serviced apartments and I know this is most peoples gripe, but we feel as we do not charge B&B prices but we save our guest money by providing them with so much more facilities, rather than they having to spend money on meals out, that it is only reasonable they wash their dishes, which means just popping them in the dishwasher, and we provide dishwasher tablets, dish cloths tea towels washing up liquid etc. I am sorry you felt this was not good enough, but I am afraid I cannot see where I can make any improvement.
regards,Irene.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

just back from a great stay in Windermere where we stayed at oakdene. We found the apartment clean & spotless on arrival & the help from the owners on where to go eat & local attractions went above what you would expect. We have to thank the lady for taking time off to bring us a walk by the lake that only the locals know. Windermere is a great place to visit and the holiday was also great thanks to the owners of oakdene. We would recommend oakdene as a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
topdropper, Owner at Oakdene Apartment Suites, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review,it always makes our job a pleasure when we get nice people staying with us.
We are glad you enjoyed your time here and hope to see you again soon.
kind regards.
Irene Owner Oakdene Apartments
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

When a hotel picks up their phone and listens to the request by the customer, if they do not want 9 men staying at their hotel then they should not say yes and take their money.

From the get go when the landlady met their customers she was picking out the person who was going to be the 'bad one' and threatening use with the fact that her son is a policeman, keep in mind that we had not even booked in yet.
A self catering hotel where you were not allowed a drink or make food, or even to put the heating on does not bode well, it was freezing.

We arrived back at the hotel and had few drinks where the landlady came down and yelled at us for being noisy and the police were threatened again. We in the end decided enough was enough and went to bed. Then at 3am the best man received a call off the bride-to-be (she booked the stay) saying the landlady had rung her complaining that there was noise (a extractor fan and TV) and she was going to call the police if it was not sorted. The best man went to investigate and it turned out the the tv was on 20 and the extractor fan turns on when the light is switched on, are we meant to pee and do number 2s in the dark??

A poor experience of hotels in Windermere

I stayed in Greenrigs the next night which was a few doors down from this eyesore and wow what a difference, management were very polite as well as clean warm rooms, and a lovely breakfast in the morning, bliss :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
topdropper, Owner at Oakdene Apartment Suites, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
"Revenge review" number 8 coming right up,the previous one was removed by TripAdvisor because of the reviewers foul language.
Before I start on the real reason for this review I would like to clarify something to all our readers out there in Review Land.
Anti-social behavior of any kind will not and never will be tolerated at Oakdene,neither will we put up with drunken threatening louts and foulmouthed leering drunks or yobbish antics from anyone under any circumstances.
Now lets examine this work of pure fiction.
A woman booked two apartments way back in March 2013,that's right,a woman,what turned up were 8 men out on a Stag do in five cars loaded down with cases of beer.They off loaded the beer and smuggled in an extra person without our knowledge and without paying,as you can see he readily admits to 9 persons staying,this is called "obtaining goods and services by deception" we allocate parking spaces for one car per apartment booked ,we then had the grief of trying to park the other three cars which we did,free of charge,but please be advised we are not running an NCP car park.
We warned this group that we are not a party pad and we do not tolerate any noise after 23.30.They all disappeared into the town and returned blind drunk at around 02.00.
The noise was horrendous,banging crashing doors,shouting and causing upset to other guests,the family staying in one of our other apartments met my wife outside at 04.30 in the morning to complain about all the noise and that her little girl was crying and terrified by all the racket.By this time we had heard enough,we called the woman who booked the two apartments,remember her? she and all her mates were staying well out of it in another hotel several miles away.We told her to call this bunch up and tell them to tone it down or I would be calling the Police,she did that,but it took another hour before they all crashed out drunk.
We would have charged this woman for the extra person she smuggled in without our knowledge,but in addition to giving us a false address she also gave us an invalid credit card.
All in all an interesting evening,just be thankful that it was not you or your family staying here at the time listening to this having wasted your hard earned money and having your holiday time ruined,I must say it does not happen often and we always try and nip it in the bud by not taking Stag groups in the first place,we were duped into accepting this crowd by the woman who did the original booking,we do accept well behaved groups and have done so for many years without any problems,but if you get stuck with 9 out of control drunks then you are really up against it.
So to recap.We have standards to maintain here at Oakdene and irrespective of the "revenge reviews" and personal attacks published on any review site on the internet those standards will be strictly maintained.
If you feel that you would be more at home as a guest on the Jeremy Kyle Show or serving as an extra on the cast of Shameless don't book with us,there are plenty of hotels and B&Bs that will tolerate your type of behavior but we certainly wont.
They were Bad,Really Bad.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Staying there the night before the wedding, advised as we arrived that we were allowed no beer, no food and no noise in a 'hotel'. Woken up numerous times by the psychotic landlady due to the 'noisy' fans and low volume TV. If you looking to stay in the beautiful Lake District, avoid this 'hotel'.

• Stayed October 2013
topdropper, Owner at Oakdene Apartment Suites, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I normally treat these "revenge reviews" with the utter contempt they deserve, TripAdvisor readers I trust you can make your own mind up.
My reply is on the review above as this one is written by the same person.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We chose this apartment as it is one of the few being offered in the lakes districts. The apartments themselves are somewhat dated but are clean and comfortable. Parking on site was a bonus however we had endless trouble with the Wifi so if you are technologically dependant this could pose a problem. The landlady was welcoming and approachable and their cat, Poppy delighted our daughter with her friendliness. There are two supermarkets close by and a good number of cafes to choose from a few minutes walk away. Bowness was also a short car trip or slightly longer walk away too. Overall a decent place to stay if you need an apartment in the lakes district but for those looking for something more modern and swish, then this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
topdropper, Owner at Oakdene Apartment Suites, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you for your review, I'm sorry you felt it was dated,we do redecorate and make replacements, every year.We use only quality furnishings, no flat packs.We are a 3 star grading and our price reflects this, however, considering the facilities we offer in a very expensive area,where property prices are not far behind London's, I feel we offer excellent value for money, probably one of the best in Windermere, yes you can get swisher places but none that offer the facilities we do where you can book a one night stay, and it depends on whether you want quality or bling, I am afraid I prefer quality and cannot bring myself to furnish with bling. I do hope regardless of our shortcoming's, you enjoyed your stay here.
Irene,
Owner,Oakdene Apartments
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We visited the Lake District on a Bank Holiday weekend. Because of this we were badly delayed on our trip there. We kept good communication going with the proprietor throughout and everything went very smoothly. We were greeted and shown around and the lovely landlady, who was very warm and welcoming, did the quick tour so that we could go and get ourselves a much-overdue dinner.

We stayed in Apartment 3. We were lovely and cosy all weekend with the heating on. The apartment itself was perfect for our needs, hot water whenever we needed it, a nicely sized kitchen and very comfortable living/dining room. I would highly recommend staying here.

There are many nearby amenities. Just at the end of the street there is a Co-op open from 7am-11pm 7 days a week, a wonderful bakery with heavenly bread and a butchers with award winning bacon. Walking down into Bowness-upon-WIndermere took 20 minutes and we were very close to the Railway and the famous Lakeland Plastics home store. Lots to do nearby and a lovely area to stay in. We had a car with us so the parking was ideal although there is a very good bus service which passes close to the apartment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind review,I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.
regards,
Irene
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We chose this apartment for a weekend university reunion. The apartment was clean and fresh. We found it very homely and warm with loads of space to spread out. The location was great for walking into town to shop and eat, and parking on site was very convenient. The price was really reasonable too.
An enjoyable weekend all round.

We would recommend this for small groups and families. We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your kind review,we are glad you enjoyed your time here and hope to see you again soon.
regards,
Irene.

Been to Oakdene Apartment Suites? Share your experiences!