“Great location a shame aboout the rooms” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Low Wood, Windermere, Windermere LA23 1LP, England   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rotherham
“Great location a shame aboout the rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel is on a very busy road across from Lake Windermere but is only a 20 minute walk in to Ambleside. The reception rooms are lovely expecially the restaurant. Food and service was excellent and the staff were very nice.

Only problem was the rooms which were clean but dated, no sky t.v, no fridge, no air conditioning.

Not great value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review with particular mention of the food in the Windermere restaurant and the service provided. With reference to the rooms being dated we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place which aims to upgrade the few rooms that we believe are in need of upgrading.

Guest feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team. Should you wish to stay at the hotel in the future please do not hesitate to contact me in person whereby I will be only too happy ensure you are given the best room type available and in one of our newly upgraded rooms, Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Cherry Burton, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was a last minute booking for a short break and was excellent value for money. The hotel and its facilities was first class with beautiful views of the lake which was enhanced by the wonderful weather we had. The restaurant and food was was excellent. I would definately stay there again and wouldn't hesitate in recommending the hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest, thank you for your recent wonderful review – I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team. I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel is in a great location and the views of the lake are breath taking, it did help we were there when the sun was shining but even on wet day the views would be great. Ensure you pay the extra for a lake view. But that comes with a noisy road, which is in fact hard to cross....with no crossing!

The room was a little dated, and not that large. The hotel closed the restaurant at 9.00 pm and even closed the extra bar on a Saturday night. If you wanted a swim without kids which were allowed in till 8pm, you had to swim, sauna etc and change in an hr.
The pool is good for a hotel. The food in the restaurant and the service when you get to use it was very good however one massive problem was the vegetarian menu, the pasta dish was shown as topped with parmesan, and it wasn't vegetarian !!!!!! But the waitress had to ask the chef to check. However at breakfast the vegetarian menu was kept separate to the meat!

Overall if it wasn't for the great view and location this wasn't the best hotel but was ok.

Room Tip: Lake view a must......as long as you can take the road noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Firstly I would like to thank you for your review and for the lovely comments regarding the location and views as well as the food and service in the Windermere restaurant, I was however very sorry to read that you felt the opening times for our leisure club were not suitable with regard to when children are allowed to access the pool, we do look at the opening times from all of our guest perspectives and feel that we have created a good balance for both individual guest and families, I will however ensure your comments are passed on for discussion.

I would also like to add that your valuable feedback has been discussed with our menu planning teams, the vegetarian choices will be the a serious focus on the next menu planning meeting which is due in the next week, once again thank you for your invaluable feedback. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Despite some very negative reviews we stayed 2 nights and were relieved to find our room was clean and modern and the food and service in the restaurant excellent. The lounge areas and views are lovely and the spa was also worth a visit. Our only issue was non working internet in our room, resulting in us having to use the public areas to check on emails but not a big problem. We would definitely stay again but would probably ask for the same room to avoid those commented on by others.

Room Tip: Room 509 was well decorated, clean and comfortable!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at Low Wood Bay Resort Hotel and Marina, it was great to read that you enjoyed the clean and modern room, the food and service you received in the restaurant and the lounge areas and leisure club! I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team in the hotel and leisure club. Once again thanks for the review and we hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future. Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at The Low Wood Bay however I can safely say I will never be coming back here, nor recommended it to anyone!

I booked a weekend away here to relax and see some close friends who live only minutes away.. the hotel looked classy on the website but don't let this fool you. There is a busy main road running between the hotel and the lawn and if you are unlucky enough to get a front facing room (like myself) you will hear the traffic passing all night.

Upon entering the hotel, although slightly confused about the lawn situation, I found myself in a new, posh and clean reception area which resembled the photos on the website. After checking in (reception staff were very nice) I went to my room which I can honestly say was worse than your bog standard travel lodge. Talk about dated and shabby! The bed was ok for comfort however I found the room far too hot. When I told a member of staff they got me a fan however it was hardly working and loud, although I do appreciate this member of staffs attempt to make me more comfortable.

The leisure club facilities are good, a little small but never the less good which can't be said for the lady who dealt with me at reception. She was rude and had no people skills. I assumed she was new due to the fact that she wasn't in the uniforms worn by others however she confirmed she was the MANAGER! She snapped that I needed a white room number to leave at reception before she would let me in so after retrieving this she demanded £2 for a dry and scratchy towel. I have been to many onsite leisure facilities and this is a first! A paying resident not even to be trusted with a towel! I didn't stay long as I felt uncomfortable.

This takes me to my next experience of rude members of staff in the Bistro. I was met by a man who, quite frankly, made me feel like a hindrance. He watched me come down the stairs and I heard him sigh!? I see now why there were few people in the cafe. I asked for a menu to which I was given a shabby laminated menu, still with dirt on it from the last people to use it! I came back to the bar to order but there was no member of staff there. I waited for about 5 minutes after which went to look around the cafe to see if I could find anyone. I glanced in the kitchen only to find this man that had served me sitting talking to kitchen staff. Once he saw me he quickly came out and served me.

The food in the Bistro was overpriced however it was nice.

After these experiences with these rude members of staff I decided I would eat out in Ambleside which is only a 20 minute walk away.

All I can say is this is a very poor hotel which has managed to scrape 4*...does it deserve them? I think not. Some members of staff were lovely however my running with the two on my first day was enough to make me not go back. After paying such a price, I would have expected at least a friendly reception, decent room and decent nights sleep (which I didn't get due to the busy road and noisy fan) save your money and go elsewhere!

Room Tip: book elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NevilJeffery, General Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Jack

As disappointed as I was to read your review, I do appreciate the time you have taken to bring to my attention the shortfalls you experienced. Our website and associated maps clearly indicates the main road in front of the hotel although I expect in warm weather, with open windows, the road noise can at times be obtrusive. The hotel is subject to an ongoing programme of bedroom refurbishment and I am sorry that you were in one of the few rooms awaiting works.

I regret I am unable to comment on the leisure club experience as the Manager is currently on leave; be assured I will be speaking with her on her return. Both the leisure club and Café del Lago falls under her responsibility.

I am sorry your stay was anything but enjoyable and that we were not aware at the time of your dissatisfaction

Having discussed the matter with the Operations Director I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in Low Wood Bay and would ask that you contact me on 015394 39370 with a view to a return visit as my guest.

Kind Regards Nevil Jeffery
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked three rooms and stayed at the hotel from 29th june for 3 nights. Rooms had fantastic views, spacious and comfortable beds. Good buffet breakfast with great choice. Lounge areas with lovely views of lake and very relaxing

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We are so pleased to learn you enjoyed your most recent 3 night break at the Low Wood Bay.
Please be assured the team will be made fully aware of your rewarding review and we sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind Regards Nevil Jeffery
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was treated to a weekend stay here in a room overlooking the lake, breathtaking views, absolute pleasure to wake up to that view each morning. The feature room we had was very comfortable and didn't want for anything during our stay there. We only had breakfast there but again you didn't want for anything as everything was offered and as soon as any food or drink ran out it was topped up immediately. Having free wifi was a bonus as I was able to put some pictures of the view on Facebook just so friends and family could see what they were missing out on! The hotel was very clean and the staff were extremely friendly. The hotel is situated closer to Ambleside than Bowness I wouldn't mind being "treated" to another stay there soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, many thanks for choosing the hotel as somewhere to stay whilst visiting the area for a break, I was delighted to read that that you enjoyed your stay, especially the room, the food and the service from out team. Once again thanks for the review and we hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future, Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Been to Low Wood Bay? Share your experiences!