“A beautiful wedding day thanks to the staff at Low Wood Bay” 5 of 5 stars

Low Wood Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Low Wood, Windermere, Windermere LA23 1LP, England   |
Ranked #11 of 19 hotels in Windermere
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“A beautiful wedding day thanks to the staff at Low Wood Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had our wedding reception at the Low Wood Bay last month and I cannot speak highly enough about the hotel!

From booking the day to leaving the morning after, we have had such an amazing experience. Both Rea and Gemma did a fantastic job in supporting us, helping organise both big and little details for the day. They kept us informed, were flexible with our requests and fabulous on the day and into the night. Dawid the Master of Ceremonies was also fantastic ensuring that everything ran smoothly on the day. Being an excited bride, they never seemed to mind when I would randomly turn up at weekends, just to look around, offering to show me about and discussing my ideas!

Upon our arrival, they took care of both us and our guests with a friendly efficiency, and when the meal was served, it was truly delicious, everything was hot and fresh, and the lamb practically fell off the bone it was so tender, I'm sure it isn't something all that easy to do for 80 people at once. The portion sizes were more than enough (I'm still disappointed I was too full from the main meal to try the hot pot in the evening!) and everyone commented how nice it had been.

During the evening celebrations, they changed round the room quickly and dealt with both our band and the DJ, and were nothing but polite and courteous, even as the night went on and we got a little rowdier!

For me it was the little things that meant a lot - the fact my suitcase was taken to our room early on, in the room was a card and a signed copy of a book on the Low Wood and Windermere, the fact the bar staff helped me find my bouquet when I set it down and couldn't remember where, then putting it in water for the night. Also the fact that the decorations we had brought were put up around the room and bar beautifully and then packed carefully away ready for us in the morning. Many of the other guests commented on how easy-going the staff had been, particularly in the early hours of the morning when they must have been tired and ready to clock off but continued to be professional and friendly, right into the small hours. Despite the fact that this is a good sized hotel with many weddings held there, I genuinely felt like I was the most important person in the hotel during my stay.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, both as a choice for a wedding or a weekend away. We have been fortunate enough to also stay over one weekend prior to the wedding, and made full use of the facilities and restaurant. It is my new favourite place, and I enjoy heading up at the weekend to sit in the cafe bar with a slice of cake and a hot chocolate.

I cannot wait to spend a night there on our first anniversary, which is also complimentary. In total, though a night at the Low Wood may seem a little pricey, it is definitely worth it. With regards to holding a wedding reception there, it is nothing but value for money with the service and quality you receive.

A big thank you to Gemma, Rea, Dawid and all the staff at the Low Wood for helping us have a truly memorable day!

Room Tip: Go for the feature lake view room, it is beautiful!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Marie, thank you for your wonderful review and the fantastic comments about the hotel and the team I am so pleased that you chose Low Wood Bay for your special day. It was a pleasure to host your wedding and welcome your family and friends to enjoy with you your special day.

I will pass on your comments to Gemma, Rea and Dawid. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspect of your wedding day at the hotel and I know chef will be pleased to read that you enjoyed the lamb, which did look delicious. It is the little things that make our guest enjoy their stay so much and I am glad that these ment so much to you.

As Low Wood is your favorite place I am sure we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel year after year, especially to enjoy your first wedding anniversary in 2014. Once again congratulations. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

956 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Walsall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Our third stay at Low Wood with our children (13 and 10) and once again we had a fab time. We like it because its family friendly without being overly children orientated, if that makes sense. We had the same room as before, a split level family room with lots of space. Breakfast, dinner and leisure facilities all excellent as usual. Staff are very friendly and professional.

We celebrated our wedding anniversary while we were there, the same day that a large wedding was taking place. I'm pleased to see on here that the wedding went well, despite the awful weather :-(. The staff seemed to be very attentive to the wedding party, and we still felt very valued as hotel guests, and not as an aside to the wedding. We had a little look at the wedding venue / function areas the next day and it all looked lovely too, with large rooms, extra bars and views of the lake.

Some rooms have free wi-fi, other not. Ours didn't but we used the free wi-fi in the hotel lounge when the weather was just too rainy to head out, and in fairness it was much nicer to sit there looking at the lake than in our room anyway.

Hopefully not too long til our next visit!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear regular guest, thank you so much for your wonderful review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your wedding anniversary and that your children enjoyed their stay too. I appreciate the comment about the hotel being family friendly without going too far, I feel we have a good balance of this and I thank you for mentioning this.

It was great to read that you enjoyed the food in the Windermere Restaurant as well as the leisure facilities and I will ensure the team are aware of your wonderful comments regarding them being friendly and professional.

We are fortunate to host over 50 weddings per year but we do go out of our way to look after all of our guests and your review is testament to that. Again thank you for your review and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We got married at the Low Wood in May 2013 and it was a truly excellent experience. The staff are brilliant and Gemma and Rea who co ordinate the wedding team were first class. Their organisation and communication through out was outstanding and made the entire process thoroughly enjoyable. Neville the hotel manager was also excellent and could not do enough for us. Our master of ceremony was David who was also brilliant throughout the day, extremely calm and well organised which helped me the groom a lot. All the guests had a great time and the ones who stayed over night were extremely happy with their rooms, food and leisure facilities throughout their stay. On behalf of me and my new wife a massive thank you to all the Low Wood staff and especially Gemma, Rea, Neville and David......see you in a year for our first anniversary.

• Stayed May 2013
enjoy with you your special day.

I will pass on your comments to Gemma, Rea, Nevil and David and to the team. We very much look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel to enjoy your first wedding anniversary. Once again congratulations. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Longtown, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

the service provided by ALL staff was excellent, nothing was too much trouble, we all had a most enjoyable stay at the hotel and the wedding was second to none, the staff catered for a Hindu wedding and a civil ceremony in the one day, totally amazing day from start to finish.

Room Tip: the hotel is like 2 in 1 as in one half is more modern and up to date and the other more tired and d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at Low Wood Bay to celebrate your friends wedding, I hope they had a wonderful time. I am pleased that you enjoyed the wedding’s and that you found our team to offer excellent service. Once again thanks for the review and we hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future, Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Cheshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Benefiting from a midweek offer spent 2 nights at the Low Wood with husband and baby. Location and facilities are excellent. Short hop into Ambleside and short drive to Windermere.
Access to Wansfell Pike at rear of hotel for good walk.
Room was spacious, clean and easy to access. Service second to none, staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make sure you are happy with your stay.
Breakfast was buffet style, lots of choice and good quality.
Pool and spa very useful with little one in tow. Pool good size and jacuzzi and outdoor hot tub a lovely treat after a long walk.

Room Tip: Rooms in main hotel are more traditional and in keeping with style of property. Courtyard rooms are...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, many thanks for choosing the hotel as somewhere to stay whilst visiting the area for a midweek break, I was delighted to read that that you enjoyed your stay, especially the room and the service from out team. It was also pleasing to read that you enjoyed the walk from the back of the hotel to Wansfell Pike. Once again thanks for the review and we hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future, Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a very good overnight stay here at Low Wood. The rooms in the old part of the hotel are in need of an upgrade, but the room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent - scrambled eggs in particular. The leisure centre is a great treat - decent sized pool and both indoor and outdoor hut tub. Despite the rain I really enjoyed the outdoor tub which I had all to myself!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at Low Wood Bay. With reference to the quality of the rooms we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place which aims to upgrade the few rooms that we believe are in need of upgrading.

I am pleased that during your stay you were able to make use of the hotels leisure club and the wonderful hot tub. It was also great to read that you enjoyed your breakfast in the. Once again thanks for the review and for sharing it with the Trip Advisor community and I will ensure the team are made aware of your wonderful comments, Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We cannot recommend this hotel enough... our wedding was absolutely perfect.
All details and arrangements were done to perfection. all the staff made us feel like royalty but at the same time soooo comfortable and at ease. like old friends if im honest... we felt that welcome.
The grounds of and around the hotel are absolutely stunning not forgetting the beautiful jetty literally afew feet away from the front!!
The rooms were gorgeous and so clean with beautiful decor... we ate in the restaurant in the evening and again in the morning for breakfast. the food was delicious, and we were spoilt for choice. the service was fantastic.... it really was perfect.
our special day really was everything we'd imagined it to be (and with the help from low wood) alot, lot more :-)
we will never forget our experience here.
it really did make our big day... spectacular!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Newlyweds, thank you for your review and the fantastic comments about the hotel and the team. It was a pleasure to host your wedding and welcome your family and friends to enjoy with you your special day. I will pass on your comments to Gemma and Rea our Wedding Coordinators and to the team, we do pride ourselves on our team and comments such as yours are greatly appreciated.

Been to Low Wood Bay? Share your experiences!