“Pleasant stay” 3 of 5 stars

Lake Road, Windermere LA23 2EQ, England   |
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Windermere
“Pleasant stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed one evening between Christmas and New Year in the Penthouse Suite. I admire the effort the owners have put in to create something special in an old building. Our room had both a sauna and jacuzzi bath and plenty of space. The Penthouse is in the attic and so has sloping ceilings, my husband is 6'2 and just about managed. It was no issue for me! The room was clean, with Molton Brown toiletries. I advise guests to bear in mind this is a old building with partition walls etc and so can't be compared with a sleek new build. Unfortunately, the shower had no water pressure at all and is situated over the jacuzzi bath which tricky to climb into over the taps despite the step. I love tv in the bath...my idea of heaven!

We dined with friends of ours who were staying at Aphrodite's Lodge, the sister hotel. THe food was lovely and all in our party were pleased. The only downside was the service, my husband ordered medium rare steak which came virtually blue, this in itself wasn't an issue as its easily rectified. The waitress asked if our meal was okay before we had even had chance to try it properly and when he asked for it to be cooked through more she snapped 'and that is why I asked you if it was ok!'. She huffed and puffed throughout service. Also, we had to preorder and had been asked to pay up front. We didn't do this as my husband refused to pay for something we hadn't yet had and the hotel couldn't provide a menu - we asked for this to be emailed but it never arrived. Breakfast was similarly odd with nice food, atmosphere in the dining area etc but stilted service. When my husband asked if there was brown sauce instead of just passing it from the buffet table which she was stood next to the waitress told him it is here for you to come and get if you want some. We had to laugh, as did the couple next to us.

The gentleman in reception was very good, helpful and pleasant. Check in was smooth although we did have to read terms and conditions and sign these which I have never had to do before anywhere. It was awkward and unnecessary given we had booked online and prepaid for the room.

Iron out the niggles and the hotel could be great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
EMTEJ, Manager at Windermere Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback after staying with us. We are glad you liked the Penthouse it is a very light and airy room which is very popular with returning guests. We are very sorry if you had issues with service (we have since spoken to the waitress) and can only apologise. We are sorry for your steak being undercooked, but this was as said easily rectified for you. We do hope this would not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Just stayed at the windermere boutique hotel for one night on 1st January. We booked late and got a fantastic deal by calling the hotel direct. The hotel is 10 min walk from bowness or 2 mins in taxi. the hotel is a lot smaller than I expected but this didn't matter. The only down side was the spa- all the pictures on the website show a beautiful spa (aphroditis lodge) but the pool we had access to was at the old England hotel which was ok but not luxury, but when I read the website again it does say this. But I think they should use a picture of the spa that they use. We stayed in the only room left which was the esthwaite suite (room16) and it was lovely very unique. Double spa bath, 4 poster and modern bathroom. Service was brilliant throughout. We were most impressed by the evening meal, best steak we have ever had. Breakfast was also very nice. Excellent value for money. Would recommend to people wanting something a little different on a tighter budget. :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay with us. We are only a small boutique and are glad you liked the hotel. We are very sad if you were disappointed with the spa at the Old England as this is very popular and most guests love it there. We are glad you liked the room they are very unique rooms in a building full of character. The food is all locally sourced from award winning suppliers and we are glad you enjoyed the steak, and breakfast. We do hope to welcome you back again in the future.
merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed on 11 th november for two nights in this lovely hotel in the wastewater suite
the rooms with the out door hot tubs are brilliant.The staff were very helpful the first morning we were late for breakfast our own misunderstanding but even though they had finished serving they insisted it was no problem and cooked us our breakfast.
The hotel is so central it is in a fab location.
We where told they were having more work done in january to some of the rooms we cant wait to return and see the new rooms.
If you need a break and to destress i would reccomend this hotel we cant wait to return.wish i was there now.

Room Tip: definatley rooms with out door hot tubs worth the extra
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
EMTEJ, Manager at Windermere Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your time spent with us and do hope to see you again soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Firstly I have had the same experience of some others in that, money was taken from me without my consent, for imaginary damage in the room I stayed in, that I will be taking legal advice about. Sadly with that money I could have stayed in a luxury hotel instead of Faulty Towers. The room was cold, small and overpriced. The bathroom dirty and the food was poor. Staff were ok and tried to help but the manager did nothing when I could find her. AVOID, ITS THE WORST REVIEWED HOTEL FOR A REASON.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
We are sorry you were disappointed in your stay with us. We are a small boutique hotel who pride ourselves in the level of facilities and service we offer and are upset by your comments. We do make charge if there has been damage whilst you stay in which case we do contact people. The rooms are all inspected by our head housekeeper daily and all our foods served are high quality local produce. We are sorry this is your opinion and we did not meet your expectations.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the Windermere Boutique Hotel, although I would suggest that it is really more of a superior B&B than a hotel.

Prior to arrival I had seen some of the reviews on here but as always, take them with a pinch of salt - we had a very pleasant stay and encoutered pleasant staff, particularly the breakfast waitress and also the lady who checked us in. The genetleman we also encoutered was most apologetic on Sunday morning when the fire alarm has accidentally gone off but had been quickly reset.

In all, the Windermere is ideally situated between Bo'ness & Windermere and we walked into both quite easily, in a little over 10 minutes. The room (I believe we had the Contempory) was clean and the Molton Brown toiletries a nice touch. Breakfast was cooked to order and there was plenty available. We did not eat dinner at the Windermere as we wanted to explore the wealth of local restaurants so we cannot comment on anything other than breakfast.

The only issue we encoutered was the inconsiderate nature of some other guests - the first night we were subjected to loud rave music courtesy of the room next door who did eventually turn it down to a tolerable level as the evening got later and also the inconsiderate parking of other guests in the car park. None of this was the fault of the hotel or their staff.

Our only observation was that the price was a little on the high side but may be the market rate for the area and you are paying for the facilities (ie a spa bath & a steam room in our room/bathroom). We would stay again but only for one night and explore the area by hotel hopping.

Thank you for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
EMTEJ, Manager at Windermere Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent break away. Windermere is quite an expensive area for accommodation; we do feel we are well priced for the area and facilities that we offer. We are glad you enjoyed your relaxing break and do hope to see you again at some point in the future.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The lady who booked us in was lovely and friendly.really nice clean room with plenty of space.hotel situated between Bowness and Windermere which are both lovely to have a little wander round.we ordered breakfast to the room for £3 extra per person which is reasonable, came at the time we asked and food was lovely and hot.the man who came to check the hot tub as I'm guessing they do every morning even waited till it was time for our breakfast to be delivered so he didn't wake us, thoughtful I thought.the room had everything you would need, kettle,tea,coffee etc, small selection of toiletries,bathrobes and even plastic glasses were provided so you could have a drink in the hot tub.i did read in the info in the room that you are able to use the spa facilities of the sister hotel, we weren't told about this but wouldn't of used anyway as only stayed for one night, but worth bearing in mind to ask if you're not told.would defiantly recommend for a nice romantic night away and we will be returning.thankyou.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking time to leave feedback and your lovely comments. We look forward to seeing you next time.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I must admit after I booked our room, then read a load of reviews which made me a little nervous prior to coming. Happy to say that we had an amazing time. The staff were very friendly, room was amazing with a log fire in the lounge (where else can you find a fire place in your bedroom!), the location was perfect nicely positioned between windermere and bowness, breakfast was very tasty and overall my partner and I had a very lovely time. It's a shame that there are so many people with bad reports, I thinks it's a good hotel ( one or two bits need a but of updating), I suggest you book and make up your own mind.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and do hope we see you again in the future.

Been to Windermere Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!