“An update of my previous review of this wonderful place” 5 of 5 stars

The Samling Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ambleside Road, Windermere LA23 1LR, England   |
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Windermere
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“An update of my previous review of this wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The last time I wrote a review for the Samling I really wanted to give it 'excellent' status but thought I couldn't as I had a couple of minor quibbles. I am happy to say that, after a return visit, it rightly deserves to be rated as 'excellent' - as it truly is a wonderful experience to go there and it thoroughly deserves the highest recommendation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here with my husband the weather was awful but the welcome that we received from the staff more than made up for that. Our room was beautiful with a wonderful view and the bathroom spectacular . We decided to have the tasting menu which was a departure for us it was amazing and a more of an experience than just a meal.Will certainly return..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

As I said what can you say about the Samling Hotel other than a fantastic experience ...great "shabby chic" hotel, great location, great food & great service!

We stayed in the Pym suite in the loft of main house. It comprised a sitting area with tea & coffee making facilities and overlooked the lake, which ran through the bedroom and bathroom with large walking shower, deep batch and good toiletries!

We went for the tasting menu, good value and an option to try some wonderful experimental food. The fish course and pre-desert adding a touch of wow!

The staff, who were all quite young, were well-trained and couldn't do enough to ensure that you had an exceptional stay.

Only down side would be that with our suite being in the loft it was quite warm even with the windows open. So if you prefer a cooler room ask for another option.

Room Tip: Suite in the loft has great views but can be hot.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

The Samling is a wonderful place with an amazing and intimate setting. The service was excellent and the food was exquisite. Highly recommended. Will be recommending it to all my friends and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed April 2013
penn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

On arrival at the samling we were greeted by very welcoming staff and our room was very comfortable with the most amazing
views over to the lake .
We had booked the 7 course dinner and although we are both 'foodies' I don't eat fish and my husband dislikes cheese !
The chef was very accommodating and we had a meal of the finest standard which delivered wonderful fresh tastes with a couple of theatrical moments - the pre desert and the fish dish to name a couple
The second night I was going to try the vegetarian option and my husband was going to try the a la carte but the chef cooked us a different 7 course extravaganza and I still managed to try some of the cheese from the extensive cheese board
We are lucky enough to have eaten in some great restaurants around the world - to date the Quay in Sydney and rusten vrede in s Africa were our favourites but the two meals at the samling have to rival these

Throughout out our stay the ( very young) staff were knowledgeable and friendly whether discussing food wine cheese or the local area
Any one passing through the area would miss the Samling completely but we will return !

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and the hotel, food and staff were excellent.

Unfortunately my wife was unwell when we arrived. When I explained the staff and chef went out of their way to accommodate her. They put together a menu especially for her.

I can recommend the food as it is most innovative, original and very tasty.

We will be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My daughter's wedding was at the Samling. What an absolutely fanastic experience. Everybody who attended has said what fabulous food, beatiful rooms and staff who were prepared to put themselves out to make sure we had such a fantastic time.
The staff none of whom were very old made my wife and I and everyone else I spoke to feel very important, which was a really nice change from some hotels I have stayed in. The food was absolutely delicious hot and beatifully present. I can't reccomend The Samling highly enough. It is so good I now have another daughter talking about getting married at The Samlings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Samling Hotel? Share your experiences!