My husband and I vowed to return to Gilpin for our first wedding anniversary as we had such an amazing stay during our honeymoon and were so excited about returning.
I am delighted to report that we were NOT disappointed a year later. We stayed in one of the Garden Suites again (Crinkle crags) as we had fallen in love with the private decking and hot tub last year .
The room was pure luxury .The bathroom is stocked with molton Brown products which add such class and it is sparkling clean with soft towels and bathrobes to add to the luxiurus element.
One extra touch which would have pleased us even more if there were slipper type shoes provided to walk about the decking ,we stubbed our toes 3 times on the wooden chairs outside ! BUT I am being very picky now !
The attension to detail is superb ,huge choice in mini-bar inc fresh milk..Have cotton wool,body lotion ,remote control to adjust the lights ...i could go on ...but more to say .The staff even visit your room when you're dining to make sure the bed is made ready .
On to the food ,it is excellent and again the attention to detail here is amazing . The only little niggle was the dessert menu was exactly the same two nights runnings but again with such a wonderfull choice it didnt matter.
The staff are all obviously well trained in being courteus,professional and helpful. One staff member who was ,I belive more senior , was curt and rather cold in her manner which was a shame ,glad she wasnt around the second day.
Being picky again but some diners appeared to have been given the choice which room they would like to dine whereas we didnt,dont know whether this was a coinsidence but the younger guests seemed to have been all sat in the same room -can't decide whether I was impressed with this or not .
Also ,contrary to some reviews ,the hotel wasn't full of 50+ year old guests...guests varied from early 20's to 80's .
To be fair,when we asked the second night for a change where we ate ,the staff were obliging and it was a pleasenter,more relaxed dining area .
The main complaint which I must mention is that we were billed for three drinks we did not have (inc a 1/2 botle of wine ) thus we were overcharged £25.50 .It was so lucky we checked the bill before driving away ,but again ,in all fairness to the office staff ,I was refunded without hesitation or question .
We enjoyed our stay immensley ,this hotel i belive can hardly be beaten (unless I win the lottery!) .
Thank you Gilpin for giving us an anniversary treat to cherish -sure to be back :)
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge
- Gilpin Hotel
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A friendly, unpretentious, luxury hotel set in the beautiful Lake District National Park, Gilpin Hotel & Lake House has been family owned and run since 1987. Members of Relais & Chateaux, the Cunliffe family were the proud winners AA 'England Hotel of the Year 2012', English Tourist Board Awards for Excellence 'Small Hotel of the Year 2012', the Catey 'Independent Hotel of the Year 2013', and Condé Nast Johansens 'Most Excellent Country House Hotel of the Year 2013’. When you stay at Gilpin, you’re not just choosing a bedroom, you’re choosing an interior design with fabulous fabrics, wallpapers and furnishings. We have evolved Gilpin Hotel over the last 25 years, spreading out instead of up, so that fourteen of the twenty bedrooms lead directly onto the gardens, many with private decking and cedarwood hot tubs, and all with lovely views. Gilpin Lake House is, put simply, a sanctuary, where just six suites enjoy exclusive access to 100 acres of private grounds, including a stunningly beautiful four-acre private lake, swimming pool and the new Jetty Spa. Enjoy pre-dinner drinks in the hotel’s stylish bar and wine cellars before dining in one of four intimate dining rooms (complimentary chauffeur provided for Lake House guests). Head Chef Dan Grigg ensures exquisite cuisine in the 3 AA rosette restaurant; the 5-course menu has plenty of choice and is a celebration of some of the finest Lake District produce and West Coast seafood. For Lake House guests, the Swedish style spa treatment room has been built to blend with the environment, raised 3 metres into the tree canopy, with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the lake. The Jetty Spa Trail is a bespoke Spa Journey designed to gently stimulate and revive the senses. Begin with a consultation to create personalised spa products just for you. Then to the spa for a private swim followed a relaxing salt snug and a reviving salt scrub shower. Through the woods to an aroma massage (and that view), followed by green tea and appetisers on the jetty. To top it off? Champagne in the hot tub, and bespoke spa goodies to take home. The ultimate goal – a deep relaxation that will stay with you for a long time. Quiet, untouched, and devoid of traffic or people the setting instils a sense of peace and calm. There are no weddings, conferences or children under seven to disturb the peace at Gilpin, just warm smiles, fresh flowers, and friendly, unpretentious service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Olotels, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.