“Lunch only” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lunch only”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have not stayed at the Langdale Chase so cannot comment on accommodation, but we were given a voucher as a Christmas gift for lunch.
The setting is beautiful - gorgeous views over the lake, a really special location. It was a Saturday in November, no weddings that day, it was very quiet (only one other occupied table in the restaurant) but we were warmly welcomed and service was good. There were a few more tables occupied in the bar area for more casual lunches.
The meal itself was good, tasty, but not outstanding. I had butternut squash soup, duck then chocolate bread and butter pudding. The duck was a little dry, sauce was rich and tasty. The dessert was delicious but lacked finesse. My husband was a little more disappointed with his starter (prawns) and main (pheasant). He enjoyed the dessert.
I wasn't disappointed, I thought it was good - but compared with the Cragwood (just a few hundred yards away) it really is no contest. When in the area we will choose to dine at the Cragwood in future. Otherwise, for lunch I think I understand why the bar area was so popular - same beautiful views which is really the highlight of this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for your review following your lunch visit to the hotel, I am pleased you enjoyed your lunch, however if your husband was disappointed with his starter and main, if he had brought it to a member of staffs attention they would have been happy to rectify the problem. I do feel however to name other establishments when reviewing a hotel is unfair.

Andrew Tighe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

On Nov. 1st I had the immense pleasure of attending my nephews wedding in the hotel. Family & friends took over the whole hotel for 2 days/nights which made the experience even more unique.
Never in my life have I experienced such attentive, courteous, & accommodating staff. The service was super friendly & made us all feel very special, nothing was ever too much trouble for them. The buffet breakfasts were amazingly plentiful & delicious. The rooms were spacious, individually decorated, & extremely comfortable. The grounds were gorgeous, well kept & with stunning views in all directions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the wonderful and kind words about your recent experience at the Langdale Chase Hotel for your nephews wedding. We pride ourselves on our location, attention to detail and high calibre members of staff.

Bolton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I write this as father of the groom on a wedding on 5th november 2012. Several rooms were booked the night before the wedding for close family/friends. Then entire hotel booked for the wedding day with exclusive use of all rooms and facilities for that day and night.
The wedding took place in the large panelled hall with beautiful olde world staircase leading of a landing with "romeo and juliet" balcany where a string ensemble played as the bride walked down the stairs. Blessed with perfectly clear weather with the view over the lake onto snowcapped peaks. Wedding breakfast set in another wood panelled room that held about 30 guests.Food excellent as were the breakfasts. Rooms are elegant. The grounds around the hotel go down to the shoreline.All in all a perfect wedding location.

Room Tip: If booking a wedding I suggest you request to look at the rooms, and decide which rooms you like the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you so much for the lovely words said about the hotel and the perfect day you had for your Son’s Wedding. Having exclusive use of the hotel gives you complete privacy for your big day with award winning grounds and views to enjoy. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the future.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We visited Langdale Chase as a spontaneous lunch time walk-in, without a reservation, and with 3 adults & 2 children.
What a marvellous treat was in store for us! We were seated in a beautiful conservatory overlooking Windermere & the hotel's extensive landscaped gardens, providing a stunning range of autumn leaf colours, bunny rabbits on the lawn & multiple birds enjoying the variety of foliage.

The hotel staff were attentive, friendly, helpful and, most importantly for us, really nice to our children!
We thought there must be a catch somewhere, so we expected some complaint with the food but we were wrong! Our food was outstanding - and the manager came out to chat with us & to compliment our children.
We actually preferred our dining experience at Langdale Chase to our dinner at Holbeck Ghyll, as the overall customer experience was so much better, with a much more cordial atmosphere.

We were also lucky to be seated next to a lovely couple at the next table, who told us that they were visiting one year after celebrating their wedding at Langdale Chase. It had been a fantastic event which had truly helped to start their married life in a wonderful way.

After lunch we took the children outside to walk through the beautiful grounds before, reluctantly, heading home.

Overall, a lovely experience - thanks to the warm, friendly team at LC & the focus on good hearty food & great customer service. We'll be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your visit to us for lunch. We really are blessed with our location and our high calibre members of staff. We serve food all day until 10pm, with traditional favourites on offer such as Beef and Ale Pie, to our fantastic Fish and Chips, or for those without such a large appetite sandwiches are available all day. We also have a separate Children’s menu on offer which is available al day. We hope to welcome you back for lunch next time you are passing through.

NW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is not your standard corporate hotel.
It is old fashioned with charm with wonderful lake views.

Bedroom might feel a bit on the cool side.
The restaurant offers a good choice of “master chef” dishes, not a grilled steak in sight but wild rabbit, pheasant, duck and turbot what a change.
Breakfast unfortunately is buffet service.
Overall good value for money when compared with the chain hotels nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your recent review and your kind words regarding the delicious options on our dinner menu and I agree it does make such a change from the normal offerings on standard dinner menus. Even with buffet style breakfast on busier mornings a great selcetion of hot items are available along with choices of eggs and different fish options along with porridge, and we are pleased and proud to be completely independant and free from chains.

Andrew TIghe
Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My partner and I had wanted to stay here since seeing ITV's The Lakes and couldn't believe our luck that the day/night we were travelling through the area, we spotted a special deal for a one night stay (less than half the normal room rate) and booked straight away! After a long five hour drive, which sadly saw us arrive in the dark (about 8pm), we checked in and were given a fabulous room (well, almost a suite!) with a huge bedroom linked by a tiny corridor to a small sitting/TV room and a large bathroom. Having just spent 12 nights in a Travelodge (due to house renovations), we felt like we'd died and gone to heaven!! Just what we needed.

As we were very hungry after our drive, we quickly went down to the bar and were pleased to see that it served food until 10pm. It was our experience here that cost the Hotel a 5 star review and the 'but . . . .' element in the title of this review. It was also so avoidable. We were only one of two couples in the bar area, so the staff, who were very friendly and welcoming, weren't run off their feet. Initially, they were also very attentive.

When they took our order, I explained that while my partner was having a starter and a main, I was going to have a main and then a dessert. The food arrived fairly promptly and was good. By the time we'd finished our main, it was about 9.30pm and we waited and waited and waited for a member of staff to come and clear our plates and take my dessert order. We could see them in the dining room preparing it for breakfast, but no-one came near us until about 9.55pm. By this time, I was really looking forward to dessert. However, when I ordered I was told that the kitchen was now closed. Given that they knew when I first ordered that I was going to have dessert, that it wasn't yet 10pm (just) and that I would have ordered by approx 9.30pm had we not been 'abandoned', I find this very poor customer service. If I'd known I wasn't going to get dessert, I would have ordered a starter, like my partner! Although this is only a relatively minor gripe, it left me feeling somewhat aggrieved and often it's the small things that set an establishment apart from others. It is also the reason I marked down the Hotel's Overall service, which is slightly unfair on everyone else, but in such places everyone stands or falls together.

However, apart from this the rest of our stay was an absolute delight and the view we woke up to in the morning was breathtaking! Inside and out, the hotel is stunning and full of character. Breakfast was delicious and served in the restaurant, with windows on all sides - ensuring that everyone has a panaromic view Lake Windemere. Superb!

Hopefully, the one negative in my review was out of character, so don't let it put you off staying here. Langdale Chase is an experience not to be missed - for all the right reasons! Hopefully, if we ever go back I will finally get to have that lovely looking dessert . . . now that would be the icing on the cake!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, and I was pleased to read that the bedroom made you feel like you "had died and gone to heavan" this is one of our superior rooms with spectacular lake views. I was concerned to read your comments about when you went in the bar for your evening meal and you get my sincere apologies for this and have spoken to our Restaurant Manager so he can relay the importance of customer service to his team.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast and hopefully you will come back to enjoy the dessert you have been waiting for, and I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We enjoyed the best wedding we have ever been to at the Langdale Chase Hotel, Windermere.
Our room in Lake House was spacious and had every amenity. The views over Windermere Lake to the Langdale fells, which give this lovely Victorian hotel its name, were stunning. The panelled hall was a perfect setting for our friends' wedding ceremony. The carved 17th century fireplace mantel was the most impressive we have ever seen and is believed to have come from one of the Clifford family castles. The wedding feast was excellent and the staff friendly. If we got married again this is the venue we would choose.

Amanda and Paul Taylor

Room Tip: The pay-off for our wonderful peaceful room in Lake House was the short walk to the main hotel which...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
It is with great pleasure that I read the comments regarding your friends wedding and I am delighted to read that it is the best wedding you have ever been to. If you are planning a short trip away please be sure to look us up again.

Andrew TIghe

Been to Langdale Chase Hotel? Share your experiences!