“Fantastic fishy feast!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 67 Restaurants in Windermere
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Fantastic range of seafood, cooked fresh to order. Menu changes daily depending on what comes in from the local supplier in Fleetwood.
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic fishy feast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

My husband and i booked a table after reading trip advisor reviews and we were very happy we did. We received a lovely warm welcome and, as we ate in the early evening, were offered the choice of a couple of tables. The style of the restaurant was plain, simple and minimalist but the ambience was warm and cosy. The menu was concise with only 5-6 selections for each course, but we found it so hard to choose as everything was really tempting. We managed to squeeze in 3 courses each, and a bottle of wine, and left feeling absolutely stuffed and very satisfied - and a little smug that we had made such a brilliant choice! If you are a fish lover, don't miss out!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“An absolute must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

We had the most wonderful evening. The host Michael was fantastic; very welcoming and attentive. He stopped to chat with each of the tables which was really lovely.

The meal itself was sensational. We had pre-drinks with our starters; I would highly reccomend the Langtons Gin and Tonic. For starters we had smoked haddock chowder with crusty bread and the garlic and lemon tiger prawns. The chowder was particularly lovely, delicately flavoured with tasty fresh peas and spinach.

For mains we had the Cajun Marlin with spicy tomato chutney and the Sea Bream with shellfish risotto. The menu changes daily using seasonal produce.

The venue is small but cosy. I would highly reccomend this resteraunt for anyone stopping through Windermere. We will be going back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Beautiful setting....fantastic service....even better food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We went to this resturant back in Sept 2013, we were greeted by a veey friendly gent who gave us great ideas on what to eat and what wine goes great. The only down fall being I didn't note down the wine as it was so tasty. Will definitely pop in again when we are are round that way.

• Visited September 2013
leeds
“Hooked,line and sinker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We ate here last night after a personal recommendation and reading the great reviews on Tripadvisor . They were thoroughly justified . Hooked is a small, unpretentious restaurant on the edge of the main drag in Windermere . There was a choice of 5-6 starters,mains and desserts . We were tempted by everything . Finally settled on sardines and smoked haddock chowder for starters and hake and swordfish for mains . The mains were accompanied by new potatoes, carrots and sugar snap peas and the fish was sublime . Never tasted such delicate swordfish . Daily deliveries from Fleetwood are credited with providing ultra fresh fish . We had a very reasonably priced bottle of an excellent French white wine and were too full to manage a dessert . The service was excellent - and if I had to make one comment about something to improve - and it seems a little churlish - but the service was almost too quick ! We would have preferred just a little longer to pause between courses.
Definitely need to book to avoid disappointment but don't miss this place if you are staying in Windermere and appreciate good food and wine . And it is worth going out of your way to enjoy what is on offer here . Our meal for 2 courses, wine and coffee was a very reasonable £80.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Absolutely superb (ignore the bulls**t reviews of bad service)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

For those who love to skim read reviews: This is the best meal I have had in years and cannot recommend Hooked highly enough. Just fantastic, with lovely service, lovely setting and amazing food. Go there, right now (but Book!).

Full review.... Make sure you book!!!! I was naive enough to think mid November, midweek, there'd be a table. There wasn't (and now I can see why!). We were politely told this, it was no problem (my fault anyway!) and I booked a table for the next day instead. For all of the negative reviews related to booking for this restaurant it just looks like people cannot handle being turned away when you can see an empty table (they only book 2 slots every 30 minutes). Shame they are so short sighted/idiotic/plain rude, as they're missing a treat.

My GF and I had 3 a course meal and every course was absolutely delicious, with very good serving sizes. My main, the Swordfish, was absolutely sublime and I was genuinely sad when I finished it, it was that good. The service is fantastic as well, and no question or request is too much hassle (contrary to complaints of rude service, we found the owner to be one of the nicest people we'd met). It is also ridiculously good value. Full 3 course meals and 1x drink each came to £60 - I'd have happily paid far more,

We're not wine drinkers so can't comment, but the owner was very helpful in his recommendations to everyone else there so I think you're safe!

All in all, do not let the impatient serve-me-or-suffer people leaving poor ratings deter you; this place is fantastic and if you're in Windemere you'd be crazy not to give this place a go.