I took my wife to Holbeck Ghyll as a special birthday treat. I haven't watched "TheTrip" but my daughter has and suggested we went there. First impression on approaching the hotel was of a grand country house and on entering this still remained with a large open fire burning in the entrance hall. Parking in front of the hotel was limited with an overflow car park down the hill(but with a valet parking service).
Staff were extremely friendly and on checking in took us on a brief tour. Our room (4) was on the first floor with great views of Windermere as well as a side window which looked towards the fells. The room itself was spacious and had a separate WC from the ensuite bathroom. There was a complimentary decanter of Damson gin, which given the inclement weather that day was welcoming. The bed was extremely comfortable. The one minor issue I had was the floodlighting on the front of the hotel which shone on the windows making the room lighter than I would have liked.
Dinner was booked 8 for 8.30 and whilst we were choosing our meal we were served canapés. The food was what you would expect from a Michelin star restaurant but the service was a little slow - we waited quite some time for our desserts (and were the last ones in there!).
Breakfast was of a high standard as one would expect and check out that morning was again well handled.
Despite the cost of the stay I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a special treat in an unfamiliar location. I must get The Trip and see what Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden thought of it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in seven acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room and gym equipment. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which has retained a Michelin Star for seven consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District