“Extra special birthday treat” 5 of 5 stars

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Holbeck Lane, Windermere LA23 1LU, England   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Windermere
Wigan, England
“Extra special birthday treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I took my wife to Holbeck Ghyll as a special birthday treat. I haven't watched "TheTrip" but my daughter has and suggested we went there. First impression on approaching the hotel was of a grand country house and on entering this still remained with a large open fire burning in the entrance hall. Parking in front of the hotel was limited with an overflow car park down the hill(but with a valet parking service).
Staff were extremely friendly and on checking in took us on a brief tour. Our room (4) was on the first floor with great views of Windermere as well as a side window which looked towards the fells. The room itself was spacious and had a separate WC from the ensuite bathroom. There was a complimentary decanter of Damson gin, which given the inclement weather that day was welcoming. The bed was extremely comfortable. The one minor issue I had was the floodlighting on the front of the hotel which shone on the windows making the room lighter than I would have liked.
Dinner was booked 8 for 8.30 and whilst we were choosing our meal we were served canapés. The food was what you would expect from a Michelin star restaurant but the service was a little slow - we waited quite some time for our desserts (and were the last ones in there!).
Breakfast was of a high standard as one would expect and check out that morning was again well handled.
Despite the cost of the stay I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a special treat in an unfamiliar location. I must get The Trip and see what Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden thought of it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed everything. I have made a note about the floodlighting in your guest profile - we have a very regular guest who has a similar dislike and we disconnect the lights whilst they are staying. Our electrician has alos amended the times the lights come on and off.

I must also apologise for the slow service - I have spoken with Tom, our Restaurant Manager and he joins me in sending our apologies.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us.

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

It's pretty hard not to feel relaxed when you arrive at Holbeck - we'd driven down from Inverness on a return leg of a tour of the highlands and were feeling pretty whacked. The staff on arrival were very welcoming and could see that I needed food and something to drink so took me straight to the lounge whilst my wife went to the spa for some relaxation.
In the lounge looking out over the lake and with a martini and some sandwiches I felt so relaxed - this is what I want from a destination hotel like this.
We had booked dinner and it did not disappoint - the highlight for us being the banana beignets and that there was a huge selection of 1/2 bottles of wine available.
We really enjoyed the food - it was well presented and fresh.
The only thing I'd say that was not a positive was room 22 - we'll go back, but I will try for a suite. For the money I feel the room was a little tatty - there was also a couple of broken tiles in the bathroom, niggles but they should be fixed. And cobwebs on the ceiling need to detailed!

Room Tip: No to room 22 :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I have made a note regarding your room preferences. The cobwebs were unacceptable and my housekeeper joins me in sending our apologies. Room 22 is due to be combines with another room to form a larger suite but in the meantime I have asked our maintenace team to give it a thorough checking.

Once again, thank you for your review (and for agreeing to the e-shot!) and I look forward to seeing you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I booked the hotel for a treat for my boyfriend's birthday back in March 2013 after watching 'The Trip' and was really looking forward to some great food in a beautiful location. And I was definitely satisfied with the beautiful location - we had a fantastic view from our lake view room, and I have no complaints whatsoever about the accommodation. Additionally, the staff were very polite, welcoming and friendly, and there were nice touches in the room, e.g. hot water bottle at night when bed is turned down.
However, I was somewhat disappointed with the food. It started off well with some interesting amuse bouches whilst having a drink in the lounge pre-dinner, but our starter of scallops were not cooked adequately, then one of the main courses varied significantly from what was stated on the menu and the desserts and petit four were just not that interesting. Furthermore, at breakfast the next day, the american pancakes came as 3 tiny little (blini sized) pancakes with 3 enormous back rashers of bacon...the balance of ingredients wasn't right. These are all small things admittedly, however when you are paying £170 for dinner (+ over £200 for the room), you expect more, especially after better experiences (and better value for money) at many other michelin starred restaurants. And unfortunately, the very polite staff didn't seem particularly bothered by my feedback at the time.
Overall, if the dinner hadn't cost so much, I probably wouldn't have blinked an eye at some of these things.

Room Tip: Go for a lake view room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for my comments. I was very disappointed to read that you felt my staff did not care about your comments and I am working with my managers to remind them how to deal with feedback. We do encourage our team to listen to feedback and pass it on to either myself or another senior manager, so it is sad to read that this did not happen.

We have taken on board all your constructive comments and we work towards aiming to improve our food offering.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

A lovely hotel in the lakes, a little out of way, but with lovely views across Lake Windermere, it was a little bit too cosy in the small lounge we sat in for pre-dinner drinks, but the dinner was really exceptional - though a little slow - it was full of diners, due to its reputation.

Each plate we were served was not only worthy of a photograph, but cooked to perfection, and the tastes were superbly balanced. A very comprehensive Wine List was available and the wines recommended were excellent.

The room was lovely with king size bed which was very comfy and sheets were crisply ironed and of good quality - a little pricey. The ensuite was of high quality.

The gardens are well looked after.

The parking area is a little small so the overflow car park was where we had to park about 100 yards down the hill which on the day we parked seemed a little close to an aroma of septic tanks - fortunately far enough away from the hotel!

The staff were all extremely attentive and pleasant and well trained.

Room Tip: Book a room with a lake view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for your very good review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and general ambience. I have taken on board your comments regarding the speed of service and that is something that David, Tom and I will look at. We do want everyones experience to be as good as it can be.

Once again, thank you for completing such a favourable review.

Bedford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

What a vindictive lot guests can be, having stayed at Holbeck for the last five years often twice a year, I can not believe how anyone could not relax and enjoy there stay and give such a derisory score as one guest below.

Clearly a little misshape is allowed to distort there whole perception.

Trust me, Holbeck is good very good and beautiful location.

Room on arrival warm and inviting, a short note welcoming us back with the complimentary sherry and small chocolates. Big SMILE in the first two minutes and thats how it stayed.

Dinning, a picture on the plate with a taste to match, Staff friendly polite. Quality is what Holbeck strive for, breakfast fruit great, all fresh and high standard. Cooked breakfast spot on.

Dinner was always fully booked, served and carried out very efficiently.We expect as return guests to have a dinning experiences that goes a little wrong, not a chance. David and his team of chefs are to be congratulated such hard work for guests enjoyment. What enjoyment.

Perhaps I have been watching to much TV, in particular the hotel inspector of which all guests are in the league. Couldn't resist running my finger along the top of the bathroom mirror little sad I know but i was not surprised spotless clean.

Very difficult to fault and be critical of this wonderful hotel, every thing is just wonderful for us, so to mention anything does make you feel picky indeed, but hear goes.

The hand soap in the bathroom felt a little course on the skin for us very minor I know.

As for a previous guest suggesting, go down the road for a curry, clearly these guests booked the wrong dinner on line, and may have been looking for wolbck guest and curry house Bangladesh.

Thank you Holbeck see you all again soon cant wait.

Room Tip: Rooms are all very good and spotless
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Your review made all the staff smile! Sometimes such reviews can be hurtful but we have to take the rough with the smooth and thankfully there is more smooth than rough!

My whole team would like to thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming your back to Holbeck - interestingly, there is often a curry competition for staff tea seeing the chefs and the owner pitting their cooking skills against each other - believe me, it is great curry!

Best wishes

uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went for lunch to celebrate a birthday, on arrival we were greeted warmly and we went to take seat in one of the lounges, there was some delay in getting a drink initially but from then on service was attentive. The food was fabulous - all four of our party had great dishes, cooked very well, with a great balance of flavours and good portions. The wine selection was great. You cannot fault the view from the dining room it is a delight to look out across the lake. Overall we had a lovely meal, there was only one slight down side which was I am afraid to say the presentation of the waiting team, the maitre'd really needs to have a clean suit!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hawes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Didn't stay this time but went for lunch. We find it difficult to fault the food, but would agree that the menu doesn't change very much irrespective of the time of year etc. Would be good to see a more varied menu from time to time.

This is not a criticism of Holbeck Ghyll in any way, and we shall continue to both eat and stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holbeck Ghyll Country House? Share your experiences!