“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Windermere
Lancaster
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

We booked for afternoon tea on Saturday 9th April. Luckily the car park next to the hotel was full so we went back a few yards down the drive to the overspill car park. This allowed us to wander up through the garden. We turned the corner and were greeted with the most wonderful sight, a huge bank of daffodils. The setting of the hotel is idyllic.
As it was a hot, sunny day they asked us if we'd like to eat on the terrace which we did. The view is absolutely stunning. Afternoon tea was substantial, sandwiches and four types of cake including scone, jam and cream. Very reasonable at £14.95.
It turned out to be one of those perfect days you will always remember. The daffodils were still out, the weather was wonderful, and the view of Windermere and the Langdales was amazing. Service was excellent. It would be great to stay here and watch the changing colours on the Langdales. Unfortunately you can't always guarantee the weather.

• Stayed April 2011
HGB1, Guest Relations Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
Dear Emberton,
Thank you for your comments.
We are very lucky to have what I think is one of the best views in the Lake District! And it is great to read that you enjoyed the wonder up the lane to the main house and enjoyed the daffodils.
We would love to welcome you back in Autumn, with the reds, gold’s, oranges and brown colours.
Kind regards,
Caroline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Chorley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Booked for lunch on Sat 9th April.

The day was helped by it being really sunny and the views from the Holbeck onto the lake were great. There's even a telescope in the lounge for you to view the scenery in a bit more detail.

3 course lunch for the wife and myself was £83 including two drinks.

Was it worth it ---definitely !!!

Got some canapes with our drinks which were the bog standard bowl of olives and a not quite so standard breadsticks with a truffle flavoured cream. I quite liked it but the wife wasn't keen, I do feel that truffles are a bit of a con in that they are interesting but I find it difficult to say I really like them. Still it was a sort of freeby so what the heck.

The Amuse Bouche ( yes I know restaurants are a bit poncy nowadays--lets live with it) was a pumpking squash with gruyere cheese. It wasn't the normal smidge on a spoon that you sometimes get but a decent little cup of a really flavoursome concoction with what appeared to be miniature croutons..very nice.

I then had pressed ham hock and chicken for my starter whilst the wife had pressed guinea fowl. Really great combination of a decent sized, very pretty starter that tasted fab-- I started really getting a good vibe at this point.

For mains the I had Best End of Lamb with Swede Purée and Haggis Beignets and the wife had Roasted Brill with Apple, Potato, Celery and Cider Foam. Both of these dishes were spectacularly good and I was heard to spout the unusual phrase," I 'd pay £30 for this dish alone". Being a tight so and so who thinks we are severely overcharged in some restaurants that was a bit OTT and I apologised to the wife later, but I was lost in the moment and the taste of this great meal.

Puds , well the wife had cheeses ( yawn) and I had a date pudding. It was fine although it never really touched the sides long enough for me to get to grips with the flavours.

Then we went outside for our coffees and to enjoy the good weather.

Other thoughts:-

Staff were attentive but not overly so and were also smiley and polite.

When they noticed us go outside for our coffee at the end somebody obviously figured this might become a trend and they quickly set about setting up more tables out there for other guests-- nice to see people thinking quickly on their feet rather than acting like robots.

We got nice hot bread rolls with our meal and the table next to us at one point asked for more bread ( why didn't I think of that). There was a slight delay and when they queried it they were told that this was because the bread is only delivered to the tables freshly baked ( it duly arrived a few minutes later). Really good attention to service but more importantly , instead of saying they had none when the customer asked for more they just got on and baked more.

All in all I felt that this was really good value and some elements of the lunch were pretty spectacular---definitely going again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words - we look forward to welcoming you back to Holbeck Ghyll in the future.
Florida, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Basically they advertise this is a place for children and dogs but clearly it isnt ?? We took the dog as per the advert and the room was poor . Our bathroom leaked . It was all ponce without quality ?? They decanted the wine away from the table , they allow kids but dont provide any chidrens meals in the restaurant ...Give me a break you can have the Gourmet menu but all you have to it , including my 9 year old daughter ?? If not then its just the menu ,on which again nothing to accomodate childrens taste .In order for my daughter to eat we had to order room service and go back to the room. The dining room had a stuffy atmosphere .The food was Ok the service again was full of poncy waiters that didnt know their stuff , wine not corked at table , wine decanted out of sight and we had to ask to have a glass after several courses ..

I dont mind paying anything for service , but please please dont pretend this is a family hotel sutible for dogs and children ... I was underwhelmed by the whole experience

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
HGB1, Guest Relations Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Dear PDH114,
I am disappointed that you found our hotel to be unwelcoming to dogs. As the owner of a six month old golden retriver ( check out our facebook page for a picture of daisy!) i go out of our way to make sure it is a home from home for pets as well as their owners!

We do have certain rules regarding children. I feel that the evening meal is time for adults to enjoy. This is made clear at the time of booking.

The Gourmet menu involves upto seven courses; our evening menu offers four courses. Tables who mixed menus would end up with diners on lesser course menus sat for long periods watching people on the Gourment Menu eat whilst having nothing in front of them.

I am very proud of every single one of my team, who work hard for long hours to try and ensure everyone staying with us has an enjoyable stay. Your comments are unhelpful and are representative of poor social etiquette.

Andrew McPherson
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I took my husband here for dinner on 17 March 2011 during our short break to the Lake District. The food and wine were delicious and the service was fantastic; we really were made to feel welcome and special. The one thing that let the evening down was that when I rang to make the booking (albeit quite last minute just a few days before) I had specifically asked if anything could be done given it was my husband's birthday that day. I was given two options, either the local bakers could be contacted to arrange a cake for him, or a dessert plate arranged with a happy birthday message on it. I decided on the latter option but unfortunately it didn't turn up. It was a small thing and I would still recommend the restaurant to anyone wanting a special treat, but it would have been a lovely finishing touch to a very enjoyable evening. I feel that the extra touches are what sets a place aside from the rest, particularly in this price range.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear LouQ123,
I am truly sorry that we failed to deliver on this detail. We do have a system in place that should make sure that important guest requests such as this are executed. It is terribly disappointing to read that we didn’t get it right. I have spoken at length with my management team, and, although we are pleased that you enjoyed the overall experience, we all send our apologies. I would be grateful if you would contact me at the hotel so I can apologise in person.

Yours sincerely

Andrew McPherson
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Holbeck Ghyll for our 30th wedding anniversary and his 55th birthday. When we arrived we were upgraded to a lovely room with a balcony and views over the lake.it was stunning! Dinner on both evenings was delicious but what takes Holbeck Ghyll into another league is the exceptional quality of the service provided by the wonderful staff,who have got it just right! Thank you for a brilliant break, looking forward to a return visit!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

went at the start of feb, amazing room views of the lake, just lovely to sit there and sip the damson gin they provide. The place is full fo good touches, wellies if you ant to wander, the gin , hot water bottles.
lovely food and drinks, good service, informative but classy.
one really picky complaint. Lamb on the otherwise great gormet menu, just isnt at its best in jan!
must go again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
N. Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

I was actually a couple of years before this date that I stayed. This hotel is pure luxury with a price tag to match. Michelin star resturant, great food. Room's were very well presented, free sherry as I remember, we had a room with a terrace which overlooked Windermere. This place is great for a romantic break in luxury.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holbeck Ghyll Country House? Share your experiences!