“Would have been an excellent!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 67 Restaurants in Windermere
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Lancashire
“Would have been an excellent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We hadn't book and managed to get a table for two, I'm glad we arrived at the time we did as it was exceptionally busy with many people like ourselves dropping in.
The staff were friendly, polite and looked a little frazzled but always attentive to customers.
The food was excellent, however I did have a problem with my meal that was delt with professionally and if it wasn't for this it would have been rated excellent. My partners meal was very good and the pig cheeks are recommended.
One other criticism, doesn't really cater for vegetarians.
I'd like to go back and give it another go.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Skipton, United Kingdom
“great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Extensive and interesting menu, well presented and very tasty.
Great service.

Tip - avoid table near door can be draughty when opened

Visited February 2013
Oxford
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Ate here Jan 2013 and had a wonderful meal. The food and service was first class and I would definitely visit this restaurant again - shame its over 200 miles away from where I live. Thank you for a great evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Was I at the same restaurant as previous reviewers?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Myself and my husband are in the Lake District most weekends, so having read the reviews and being tempted by the promise of lobster on the menu, we booked for ourselves and three friends last Saturday. Firstly, our table was located in a small walkway, outside a toilet door and adjacent to the kitchen. My husband's chair was on an uneven surface which made it difficult to sit forward and eat comfortably. There was only one lobster available despite it only being early evening. We asked if my husband and friend could share the lobster accompanied by a shared rib eye steak ( surf 'n' turf). We were told it was not possible ( not certain why). We were also informed that chips were not available as a side dish due to the fryers being too small. My friend had the rib eye steak ,which he described as a bun free burger!
Myself and one of my other friends had the much recommended seafood casserole. It was definitely not a casserole but resembled a pasta pescatore. It was very tasty, however my 'casserole' contained tagliatelle whereas as my friend's identical dish contained spaghetti!! The staff also seemed very inexperienced and continually had to seek advice from the kitchen for even the simplest of requests ie " Do you serve red wine by the glass?"
So , you can see why I had to ask myself if I was in the same restaurant as previous reviewers.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Still wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We visited Francine's again this month on a weekend away. In November 2011 we thought this was probably the best meal we had ever eaten - well, the standard has not changed! The meal we had equalled the first - wonderful food, excellent service, good wines, great value. Pity it is so far to travel, a really special place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere