“First Class Dining Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 67 Restaurants in Windermere
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: First built in 1854 as a private country retreat and housing an unmissable 200 year old cedar tree in its grounds, tradition and a sense of place are important to both the look and the food at The Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant. You will find Cedar Manor offers a seasonally changing a la carte and table dhote menu of classic British food on which all produce is sourced from providers based in the surrounding Lake District. Open to guests and non-residents, one might want to relax with a book in the cosy hotel bar and take in the views of the nearby Lake Windermere before taking a seat in the restaurant which has been awarded 2 AA Rosettes.
Wales
“First Class Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Interesting selection of superbly presented top quality dishes professionally served in comfortable surroundings. Good wine list and all fairly priced for a first class dining experience

Visited June 2013
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank for dining at Cedar Manor. We are delighted with your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sandbach, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I booked a table for a birthday treat. Everything was just excellent. I read with amusement some comments on this site regarding cost and value for money. Personally, I find £40 per head excellent value for money especially as you actually get nibbles, pre-starter, starter, main, dessert, coffee. The portions are perfect to allow you to enjoy all of the courses and are far from being small in my opinion. Having eaten in many restaurants, I must say that the food quality was the best I have eaten in the lakes. The paprika bread was amazing! Until this trip, my top lakes meal had been at the Rothay Garden in Grasmere closely followed by the Holbeck Ghyll. This now takes top spot due to quality and value for money. Service was top notch too, with a nice birthday suprise awaiting my wife on her dessert order. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing you recent evening at Cedar Manor. We are delighted with your feedback and to be mentioned in the same sentences at the other fine establishments is an honor.
We look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.
Caroline, Jonathan and the team at Cedar Manor
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Pleasant and attentive service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I came here for dinner as a non resident as I was incredibly interested to see why the Cedar Manor holds the number one spot on Tripadvisor and has done for some time. Overall my experience was enjoyable. The service was warm from the get go, right through to coffee. Attention to detail and anticipating our requirements was impressive. However I found the menu didn't match the service. A comment that would be in reverse in some places. I am a fan of red meat and hence found some options strange: smoked steak for example. I tried this simply due to curiosity and was disappointed. My group also had similar experiences and being the large chap that I am I had to try there's aswell. I found there mains again to be interesting with a strong cumin flavouring overpowering the lamb for instance. It was all however immaculately presented. It wasn't until the desserts that I was really lost. Nothing seemed to jump out at me. If memory serves right, there wasn't a chocolate option and for the first time ever I opted simply for ice cream as a dessert.

All in all I enjoyed the experience. However for the price we paid for the food, I would look elsewhere personally.

CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing you recent evening at Cedar Manor. We are delighted that service was impressive but are a little disappointed that you didn't enjoy dinner. As much food as possible is sourced locally from which a modern British menu is developed seasonally. You dined on the Spring Menu, we have now moved on to the Early Summer Menu.
The smoked steak proved to be a big success, with just one or two comments over the last couple of months saying "it wasn't for us", which is really just down to personal taste. We have to try to be inventive and creative as part of our commitment to the AA Rosette Scheme.
Unfortunately, you did miss a treat with puddings, we always have a "chocolate" option and on this menu it was a Dark Chocolate Semi-Freddo with Cinder Toffee Beignets - one of our most popular desserts to date.
If you look around other 2 AA Rosette establishments in the Lake District I think you will find us one of the best value, taking into account the sourcing of food and creativity that comes out of our kitchen.
Thank you again for your review.
Windermere, United Kingdom
“Something very special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Seeking to celebrate a special birthday our decision to follow recommendation from a colleague and visit Cedar Manor restaurant proved a truly special experience.
An extremely warm welcome was followed by an excellent meal providing an innovative fusion of flavours and beautifully presented.
From the comfortable lounge to the relaxing restaurant the venue itself reflects the very high standards maintained by Jonathan and Caroline who themselves were perfect hosts.
This is a restaurant that we will certainly recommend and to which we will definitely be returning.

Visited May 2013
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent celebratory Birthday evening at Cedar Manor. We are delighted that you chose for this occasion and pleased that you enjoyed the ambience and food.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London
“Fabulous fabulous fabulous!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

A trip advisor recommendation that we decided to go for. Absolutely fantastic. Beautiful surroundings, fantastic friendly hosts and the food was to die for! Book it now!!!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your "fabulous" review, we are very pleased that you tried us and just as pleased that you reviewed us!
We look forward to seeing you again on your next escape from London