“The best B&B we have stayed at!” 5 of 5 stars

Norcroft Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Graham Street, Penrith CA11 9LQ, England   |
Ranked #26 of 72 Penrith B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“The best B&B we have stayed at!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

A warm welcome from owner and friendly,attentive staff at breakfast. Large room with clean modern en-suite. Not modern decor, but that would not suit the building. Bed very comfortable. We stayed for 3 nights and even though most rooms were taken we never heard anybody coming or going. We always managed to be able to park in the car at the rear and although the b&b is on a corner, there was hardly any traffic passing by. Location is near enough to walk to centre of Penrith.
Best of all is the breakfast - good quality and lots of it, will keep you going all day!
Will be back again for sure.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

We (family with two grown children) spent two nights at Norcroft, one each at the beginning and end of our week-long cycling tour of the lake district.
Our room was very nice and spacious, with a comfortable bed and a new bathroom with a luxurious shower. I didn't investigate the children's room but they didn't complain about anything. The best thing was our host Paul. He met us at the railway station and took us to the guest house. He lent us lots of cycling equipment (rain clothes etc.) that turned out to be very useful. He also came to help us on our last day of cycling when one of the bicycle chains got terribly tangled.
The breakfasts were large and delicious, with lots of choices (including vegetarian sausages).
I didn't rate the value as this was part of a package and I don't know how much was paid. However, we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010 via mobile

Thanks to an engine problem I got stuck in Penrith on a Sunday night. The garage pointed me towards Norcroft so I gave them a bell. As they had no guests that night the proprietor Paul Lamb was socialising with friends for the evening in Penrith. He put that to one side to save my bacon and check me in for the night, walking up the road to meet me to make sure I didn't get lost.

The room was spotless, as was the bathroom, the huge lounge, dining room, etc. In the morning the staff made me a huge fry up, just what I needed before braving the news at the garage!

I have nothing but praise for the Norcroft. Paul focuses on quality for the customer and is the consummate friendly and welcoming host. If guests aren't happy he wants feedback and reads these reviews to make sure he gives people what they want. Though he'd prefer that they tell him during their stay some can do something about it! I only wish I'd ended up meeting him in different circumstances! Next time I'm in Penrith I'll be back there. One of the best.

• Stayed July 2010
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

We booked a room at relatively short notice (a week beforehand) after we decided against our pre-planned B&B in Carlisle. I'm glad we booked when we did, otherwise we would have missed out on this great B&B - there were no vacancies when we got there.

We had a double room with a very large comfortable bed. The bathroom was a very decent size - not your usual tiny bathroom crammed into a corner - it was actually big enough to have a bath!

The B&B was easy to find and had a car park at the back - which seemed unusual compared to other B&Bs in the area. Be aware however, on their website they claim the car park can fit between 7 and 12 cars - I'd say it could hold 5 comfortably and 6 at a push. We didn't have any problems parking though.

Breakfast was lovely, with plenty of options if you didn't want the full fry-up and the serving staff were very efficient.

Location wise it was perfect for us - off the main road, so quiet, but within 5 minutes stroll of the town centre, with lots of restaurants to choose from in the local area. Overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Not a typical review, but I hope a useful comment on the Norcroft. On riding my bike into Penrith at 5:45pm on a Friday night, the chain split and mangled the rear mechanism.

Paul was a absolute star, his reaction was - put the bike on the back and I will take you straight round to Halfords (where I bought the bike from). He waited, and as it couldn't be fixed until the morning, brought me back; he subsequently did this in the morning too.

This is way above the support a normal guest house would provide, even to the stage of offering to lend me a bike if required!

This is enough for me to recommend a guest house, on top of this the breakfast was fantastic, the luggage transfers worked perfectly - the only downside was the fact the bed I was sleeping in was a touch short as it had a footboard on.

• Stayed May 2010
Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

I have stayed at the Norcroft several times before and I have always found it a very comfortable guest house with friendly staff and owner. The rooms I have used have been larger than most guest houses (and indeed many hotels) and spotlessly clean. The service is excellent. Breakfast is first class and provides a very suitable start to an energetic day.
I stay at the Norcroft when mountain biking or walking in the northern Lake District. I can ride directly from the house to the northern fells. Paul Lamb is sympathetic to mountain bikers and chains the bikes in a locked outhouse for safety and convenience. There is a drying room for wet kit.
There is a comfortable lounge.
There are several pubs and restaurants within walking distance in the town centre.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

Stayed here in August. Our bikes were stolen from the supposed 'safe storage' because the landlord failed to lock the shed...

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Norcroft Guest House? Share your experiences!