“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Penrith
Whiteley, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for a short break with the girlfriend for a relaxing break.
Although just off the M6 we had no problem with traffic noise, and it is really handy for Ullswater, Keswick etc.

Once inside, the public areas were impressive and newly decorated lots of oak beamed ceilings and a hunting lodge feel, but very comfortable. The executive room we booked was well furnished and nicely laid out. The bathroom was clean with a bath and reasonable shower. Our sheets had a small stain on them and we asked to get them changed. The staff did this without a problem. Unfortunately the bed wasn't the comfiest and we both didn't have the best sleep. There wasn't any climate control apart from opening the window. This meant that we were both very hot.

the Gym and Spa were always busy but not packed. The showers in the changing rooms are amazing. One of the best showers I have ever had. I want one.

Good food in the Martindale Restaurant in the evening, but a little pricey. The food was amazing with differing specials on offer.
The buffet breakfast was delicious and a good variety of foods and drinks on offer.

The Staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Quite a few conferences and meetings were going on during our stay which meant lots of suits around, but it wasn't really a problem for us, and they didn't seem to be around in the evenings.
We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ShireHotels, Antony Penny - General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Antony Penny - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Shrewsbury,United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Good location for the Lakes and the M6 ,clean(in parts) and comfortable accommodation,some friendly and helpful staff,but not all.If you like black pudding with your " Full Cumbrian Breakfast", don't go to the North Lakes in the Summertime."We don't do black pudding on our Summer breakfast menu" we were told.Couldn't find out why - it was management policy. In Cumbria,would you believe,where black pudding and Cumberland sausage are serious local delicacies?.And the gourmet delights of Cranston's food hall,including superlative black pudding, literally just across the road !
Ah well.
It's hard to find authentic local quallty that offers something a bit more than the bland
sameness of so many "chain" hotels,no matter how "clean and comfortable".
For what we paid - no, not really value for money,but as ever it's horses for courses.

Room Tip: Try requesting a quiet room, but it won't make a scrap of difference. Staff don't really kno...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback, and I do hope that the lack of Black Pudding on our Summer breakfast menu did not detract too much from your stay.

Montrose, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Heading South again, we wanted an overnight stop somewhere different to the places used in the past. If your in transit from the Northerly parts of Scotland and don't leave at the crack of dawn, the Lakes is a great overnight stop and this is one of the best hotels of its kind that we've found so far. It's not too far off the M6 if you're heading South.

Check in was very efficient and the rooms are clean and comfortable if (like most hotels I find) a little hot. There's no aircon and if you open the window, there is some motorway noise - but it would only disturb the lightest sleeper. The rooms are targeted at single occupants, so if there's two of you, you have to hunt for the extra towels that are provided, but closeted away to prevent wasteful usage. Very nice clean and sacious bathroom - great shower and lots of hot water.

We had dinner in the resaurant and it was very nice. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. I always question why, in a reletively empty restaurant, everybody has to be crammed into small clumps. The young romancing couple on the next table would, I'm sure, have preferred not having us sitting less than arms length away! Breakfast too was very good - I had the full works and it was ample enough to set me up for the rest of the journey.

This is a very good overnight "pit-stop" from the M6. If I was not one to enjoy finding "new" places, I would use this hotel every time (and I'd come equipped to use the spa) and we travel this road often.

Room Tip: I'd go for a room that faces away from the M6 so that you can open the window for additional ven...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Lovely comments, thank you. Hopefully next time you’ll find time to use the Spa!

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed 3 nites at north lakes on national trust tour as driver and hotel and staff were excellent food and location good. If your there for busisness or pleasure then use hotel if your going to the lakes then this hotel is ideal.

• Stayed June 2013
ShireHotels, Antony Penny - General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Lovely recommendation, thank you!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Not an unpleasant experience,or hotel,the opposite in fact.I lived in PENRITH when this was being built,I stayed on a visit to my daughter.All very OK for want of a better word,clean rooms,friendly staff,just seems soulless,on a roundabout,which is probably the correct place,I see places like this everywhere,usually near motorway service stations.That being said,no down marks,just lacks "something"

• Stayed August 2012
Thanks for your review, which I must admit, has confused me somewhat. Lots of positives quite damning strapline and a 4 star score? I'm not sure we've ever been described as soulless before, quite the opposite in face, and I am genuinely sorry you felt that way.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed with my partner in a luxury double room. The room was extremely spacious and included everything it had boasted in the online literature. Some complimentary drinks in the mini bar, fluffy white dressing gowns on the bed, flat screen TV, huge soft double mattress and a spacious and spotless bath/shower room.
At check-in we were offered complimentary newspapers, morning wake-up call, breakfast booking, help with our luggage and friendly service from the receptionist who realised half way down the hall that we'd got lost on the way to our room and immediately came out to help us. Our room included free use of the spa facilities which boasted a heated pool, whirlpool, steam room and sauna. I used the facilities twice and had a very relaxing time on both occasions. Both times I had the entire pool to myself for an hour. Had a meal in the restaurant on the one evening we were there. Had the grilled lobster which was superb. My partner had the haddock which was melt-in-the-mouth gorgeous. The service was top notch. Had a very peaceful and comfortable night's sleep. Partner had full English breakfast next morning and came back to the room very happy. Check out time was not until 12 so this gave me time for another swim in the morning - although we were told that we could use the facilities all day. Would highly recommend this little slice of luxury.

Room Tip: book online with booking.com for excellent deals
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ShireHotels, Antony Penny - General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Lovely review from a 'Top Contributor', thank you so much it means a great deal. Come back soon!

Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

First impressions of the hotel are good it is bright and welcoming on the outside with ample parking and well tended grounds , stepping into the reception area is a nice surprise, high beams beautiful wooden floor complete with rustic furniture around an open log fire welcomes you into this 4 star hotel. Unfortunately the fist contact with hotel staff does not go well, the receptionist is waspish and unsmiling and talks to me like she really can't be bothered , to my rescue comes a lovley gentleman who looks very like a highland wildling, I did not catch his name but his manner and helpfulness was faultless, I also received wifi help from Richard who was also very helpful and professional, unfortunately the wifi itself is terrible and if you spend a lot of time in hotels using tech prepare to be disappointed and bored. We were booked in for a spa treatment in the afternoon to which I attended somewhat reluctantly, the staff in the spa were nothing short of amazing they are welcoming and calm and bend over backwards to make you feel relaxed and welcome, the facility itself was to a very high standard, clean, hi spec and worthy of the self preening in the booklet found in the rooms, I didn't personally enjoy my treatment but that is not a reflection on the facility it just isn't my thing. The other spa facilities, the pool and jacuzzi are beautiful and inviting, there are also class rooms for the more dedicated health fanatic. The bedroom is well proportioned and doesn't feel as though everything is stuffed in , the in room facilities are basic and I would have expected more from a 4 star, you are provided with 1 small 330ml bottle of water with 2 glasses for a twin room along with a tea/coffee tray with mugs and a selection of twinnings tea and coffee. The beds are comfortable but are supplied with duvets but no sheets not giving you the option if duvets are too heavy, the pillows were comfortable with extras available in the wardrobe , the bad aspects to our room were cleanliness, the carpet had not been hovered from the last guests, there were tea splashes on the desk and on the wall above the bin , the wallpaper is coming away from the wall in a couple of places surrounded by a stain. The bathroom is nice and roomy with plenty of space to get ready, they are generous with towels but put a sign up advising you to think about reusing them to save water, I found the single tiny shower gel and single tiny shampoo miniature bottle disappointing for a 4 star hotel that boasts that customer comfort is paramount.On to the restaurant , which is a mixed bag. The staff are friendly, efficient, accommodating and a credit to the hotel, I came on a package that includes dinner and breakfast and the personal allowance for dinner was £35 per person which was a lovley surprise, very generous and allowed me to choose 3 courses from the menu. The food was nothing short of sublime , local fresh produce, seasonal ingredients , it was difficult to choose as everything sounded so wonderful. I went for the taste of Cumbria starter which was displayed in a Buffett style on a bed of crushed ice, our waiter invited us to go and look at everything there before selecting the dish from the menu in case we found we didn't like many things once we got there, everything on offer was beautiful, I selected smoked salmon, smoked fish, cured sausage pieces, eggs mayonnaise, pesto, chilli sauce and creme fresh salmon tartlets. For my main I selected wainwright's ale battered fish with homemade mushy peas thick cut chips tatre sauce and lemon which again was perfect.... I found it hard to select a desert so opted for the pudding selection which offered at taste of chocolate brownie, strawberry cheesecake and macaroons, when it came I was pleasantly shocked, the cheesecake was a full portion of soft cheesecake in a glass, the brownie triangles were large, soft and crumbly and came with a little jug of thick warm chocolate sauce, they macaroons were light and tasty a little on the small side compared to the other two deserts on the plate but very tasty. The plate was finished off with fresh seasonal fruit and scattered popcorn, this is one of the nicest dessert platters I have found anywhere. Based on this experience I was looking forward to breakfast in the morning but I was very disappointed. The breakfast consisted of 2 buffets , the cereal's were limited the fruit was mostly sliced and in juices not a lot of whole fruit to choose, there was yoghurt and small pastries, there was plenty of fresh orange juice and a pomegranate option but no apple juice, fresh water or fresh milk ( for drinking) the hot Buffett was very disappointing , the do not permit you to serve yourself which negates the whole point if a buffet the choices were poor, the bacon burnt, the baked beans luke warm and in total contrast to the night before the staff kept watching waiting for you to finish to whisk the plates away as soon as possible, not remotely enjoyable. To finish I would highly recommend a stay here but I think they need to work harder in some areas to earn their 4 stars.

• Stayed May 2013
ShireHotels, Antony Penny - General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Goodness! Thank you for the comprehensive critique. I do appreciate being made aware of areas where we can improve, and am delighted that overall, they did not detract too much from your 4* review. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Antony Penny - General Manager

Been to North Lakes Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!