“Only if some other Penrith hotels are full” 3 of 5 stars

The Lounge Hotel and Bar
Mitre House | King Street, Penrith CA11 7RU, England   |
Ranked #40 of 78 Penrith B&B and Inns
Oxford
“Only if some other Penrith hotels are full”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stay in Penrith about once a month for work, and normally stay elsewhere. The room is quite nice, but the bed felt old- a lot of give when you sit on it.
No iron and ironing board in the room- you had to go to reception to collect one. I never understand why hotels don't provide one in each room- The Lounge only has a few rooms, surely not an excessive cost to put.
I was in a room above the bar- not too noisy, but it depends how light a sleeper you are.
Breakfast was the real disappointment. There were about 15 of us arrived at the same time, and one person serving was not enough. Since I had to tell them the night before what time I wanted breakfast- so they could have predicted the havoc.
I never have a cooked breakfast, so normally have fruit and cereals. The fruit selection was really poor- a fruit bowl with some aged fruit.
The coffee machine was broken so the waitress had to run downstairs to the bar to get coffee when anyone wanted some, leading to her being really stretched to serve teas, toast, and anything else.
One of the strange aspects of the breakfast room is that there was only one bowl of sugar and one jug of milk at one end of the room- so if you wanted anything you had to squeeze past other tables to get it. Strange.
I don't think I will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

lovely food tried many things havnt had a bad lunch yet staff freindlythe white wine delish fav food is beef in black bean sauce withe rice and sweet and sour chicken withe rice yummy very modern hotel havnt stayed just lunched when visiting penrith

Room Tip: havent stayed just lunched
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was staying here on business and normally use another hotel in the town but it was full. The check-in is in the bar which was my only negative experience of my visit as it is not ideal walking into a busy bar with your luggage and waiting to be "served". The staff were friendly enough and the room was clean, comfortable and modern. I ate dinner elsewhere as I was meeting a colleague but the breakfast was good and I enjoyed the informal breakfast room with flat screen tv showing the morning news. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ccumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

There is a fair range of choice for dining out in Penrith, as a local person this has become our place of choice, both with my partner and colleagues after work. The tapas has always been good and I am always impessed how they manage to get it all out hot, and at the same time. The staff have always been very friendly. My only quibble would be eating with the rather distracting large screen TV's all around. Prices very fair too when choosing from the tapas menu.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were driving from Preston to Dumfries and decided to stop off at Penrith as it split the journey in the middle, we had no idea where to go so we parked and just walked up a road and there was the lounge . We went in where we could pick our own table and a waitress came straight over and asked if we would like a drink, we had diet coke.
The restaurant was modern with different styled chairs that looked outrageous in a really fun way and the toilets were immaculate and fully stocked.
We ordered the bacon,Brie and lettuce ciabatta and when it was bought out, we were pleasantly surprised at the portion size considering the price we paid as the ciabatta looked full and the was a portion of hand cut potato wedges with fresh coleslaw and a small salad .
It was absolutely delicious ,the bacon was thick cut and went so well with the Brie and I'm a sucker for fresh coleslaw. The waitresses were friendly and polite.
My husband got up to pay at the bar and there we saw the display case of delicious desserts, unfortunately we didn't have time ,but if we are ever near we will definitely be going back there .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Penrith
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

As a family we often use the lounge for morning coffee with free scone. The ambience is very good with well trained and friendly staff. Bacon butties are the best. Very clean and tidy. And it is situated very near the town centre, therefore handy for shoppers. A must for everyone to enjoy.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cumbria, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great atmosphere, warm welcome as we came in by a lovely lady. Shown to a couch ordered and had beers and a meal. Food was excellent well presented and delicious.

Waitresses were very professional and beautiful.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Lounge Hotel and Bar? Share your experiences!