“Menu Madness” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
“Menu Madness”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Great place, the female waitress who welcomed us was warm and friendly, but the actual manager of the place seemed indifferent to our presence. The menu however was confusing for a vegetarian. The 4 cheese pizza was said to be veg. but contained parmesan (not suitable for vegetarians as it contains calf rennet) Quite a few places don't realise this, and I wouldn't have minded so much if it were not for the fact the rest of the menu was equally suspicious. The pepperoni pizza had the (v), and the vegetable pizza did not!? Same went for a sausage based pasta dish (it didn't appear to be vegetarian sausage). It was all a bit twilight zoneish and we had to second guess every meal. Also, when I asked if there were mushrooms in the veg. lasagna he (the manager) sharply replied 'no' with a look that gave the impression it was obvious (it wasn't...)

However the food came and it was delicious, piping hot, and the other waiters/waitresses couldn't have been more pleasant. Decent price but the menu really needs to be updated...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Gateshead, United Kingdom
“1st time diners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Visited here recently after being unable to find a chinese restaurant open and having seen this place on one way route (about 3 times). Arrived quite late about 8:30pm, quickly seated and drinks ordered. Carbonara, pizza and salmon penne ordered. No complaints from the other two just felt my salmon dish was a bit rich which was a bit sickly for my liking. Taste wasn't lacking by any means, just a bit overly fishy. Pizza was excellent as was Carbonara. Desserts - fantastic!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bedfordshire
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Simple, tasty food served in a rather dated restaurant. Excellent value; tagliatelle main course for £7.50! The waitress was somewhat lacking in customer service skills, she couldn't remember what my main course was called and referred to it as "tagliatelle something". The decor definitely needs an update as does the chipped water jug which was brought to the table.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Good pasta and homemade Italian desserts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had booked for 9pm, but got delayed so didn't arrive until 9.30. Although the kitchen closed at 9.30 with a bit of a plea they keep things open for us. Some places would have rushed us through our meal or been a bit off, but the waiter was really friendly and just left us to enjoy our meal. I was with several work colleagues and we all ordered pasta dishes which were all well cooked. I had the ravioli (homemade) and it was light and perfectly cooked. We had a couple of bowls of patatines (chips) to start and these are defiantly worth having. The desserts are all made in the kitchen, apart from the profiteroles. We ordered the zabaglione cheesecake, the tiramisu and a filled choux pasty dish which were all good and flavoursome. It's also very good value for the food we had. If your in Penrith and fancy a good meal you should go here.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Good food, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We recently visited this restaurant. We hadn't booked a table but were seated with no problems very promptly. I had tomato, mozzarella and basil salad for starter while my partner had the speciality scallops. Both were delicious and very fresh. I chose lasagne for my main and my partner had the speciality ravioli stuffed with crab and lobster in a prawn, pernod and cream sauce. I was more than happy with this choice while my partner loved his dish. We also had a pizza garlic bread with our main's. For dessert i chose Tiramisu and my boyfriend chose the zabaglione cheesecake. I was sooo impressed with my yummy dessert and it's generous portion size. The cheesecake was good but he will definately pick Tiramisu next time! With 3 drinks the bill came to just over £50 which I found reasonable for 3 courses. I feel the place is very traditional looking and could possibly do with a little bit of modernisation but I wouldn't hesitate to eat there again with good food and good service.

• Visited June 2012