“Lakes District VEGAN food!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
San Francisco Bay Area, California
“Lakes District VEGAN food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

WOW! Vegan food in the Lakes District? Such a cute little restaurant - and what a great surprise! It's hard enough finding vegan breakfast in the Bay Area and I was surprised to find the Pedlar Cafe. My mom and I ordered a small breakfast - two hashbrowns and one homemade vegan sausage, with coffee drinks. The potatoes were two gorgeous triangles of hash browns, perfectly lightly crisped outside and tender inside but not greasy. I can barely describe the homemade vegan sausage - it was soft, not like a Tofurkey or Field Roast sausage that you could pick up in hand and eat like a hot dog -- but it was shaped like a sausage, seared on all sides and about 8" long on the plate, maybe 2" around - and had such amazing delicious texture and flavors. It was really a "don't miss" - and I wish I had that recipe!

The cafe itself is super cute and the young women who work there are very friendly and helpful. They also have a selection of desserts -- the vegan chocolate cake is absolutely delightful. Rich, tasty, moist and fluffy - with a frosting that was not overly sweet and just the perfect amount.

Definitely a great place for a vegan or vegetarian to stop for a meal in Keswick!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“I agree with 5th Aug review, service was terrible and all tables were dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We were told about this place, popped in for a quick tea and scone, it was far from quick. It was 2.30pm and very quiet yet one member of staff walked right past my partner who was waiting to be served. Our order was taken, we had to ask for our table to be cleaned, we would have sat at a clean table but they were all in a similar state. No obvious manager present. Staff seemed clueless, another customer had to explain how much their drink was due to staff not knowing, watched several people query where there food or drinks were. The tea was nice as with the scone. But watching the staff operate was nearly comical. I'm interested to see what the managers reply will be, as I was quite shocked with his reply to 5th aug review. In sat in restaurant now and just heard someone ask where their large order was, to be told, it hasn't made its way to kitchen, not my fault as I didn't take order, would you like to reorder!? Shocking

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
PaulMax M, Owner at The Lakeland Pedlar, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Fortunately there are lots of nice people feeding us with nice reviews, thousands more that don't bother writing reviews & very few with not so nice reviews. All are taken on board.
Always two sides to a story & the young member of staff was very intimidated by your attitude towards her, so enough said on the subject!
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Yummy, delicious food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Persuaded hubby to eat here when we were on holiday (I'm veggie, he isn't). We both had a delicious meal and it didn't take any persuasion for him to suggest eating there again! And once again, both meals were fantastic. And the cakes - they are heavenly!

Staff were very friendly and helpful and we were allowed to take our dog, which was very helpful for us.

This place will definitely be top of my list, next time I'm in Keswick!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
York
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We ate here as a family one evening as, although we aren't vegetarians, we had heard great things. We weren't disappointed! The food was lovely and fresh and you could tell had all been made from scratch. Drinks were reasonably priced (a small jug of sangria for a fiver and a large jug of tropical juice for 3 quid) food was a little pricey but your paying for quality here! We would definitely visit again

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing food & lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Came here with my boyfriend last week for an evening meal & it was lovely! We are not veggies but had heard great things about this place so decided to go. We were so impressed with the tasty food & the staff couldn't be more helpful. Will certainly visit again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere