“A wonderful base for exploring Keswick” 5 of 5 stars

Tarn Hows Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   3 - 5 Eskin Street, Keswick CA12 4DH, England   |
Ranked #90 of 178 Keswick B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“A wonderful base for exploring Keswick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Tarn Hows is a wonderful base for exploring Keswick and the surrounding areas, and is only a short walk into town. Andy was a great host and had some good tips about walks I could do in the area, as well as decent places to eat. Private car parking is a big plus, and the single room, although small, was perfectly fine for one person and had a gorgeous view towards town. Very comfy bedding! Thought I was going to miss breakfast because I didn't want to get out of bed!

The only slightly negative comment - and I say "slightly" because it didn't disrupt my stay, but it might for others - is the noise of the pipes in the walls (well, I assume that's what the noise was). It did get a bit loud one night but fortunately I wasn't trying to sleep at the time.

Apart from that, if I ever visit Keswick again, I'll definitely be staying!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Daventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

This is the fourth time I have been to TARN HOWS and again had a wonderful stay. Marvelous breakfast and the host was very friendly indeed. The guest house is wonderfully clean and all that you want for a walking break. I shall be going back there again. There is a great pub there too THE BANK TAVERN which serves some wonderful food and great value for money. THOROUGHLY recommend this place for your evening meals.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Southend on Sea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

We enjoyed our short break at Tarn Hows,our room was attractive, comfortable and clean. The breakfast was delicious, and there was a good choice of alternatives to the 'full English'. It was only 3 weeks since Andy took over and he was still settling in. He already had a good local knowledge and recommended some good eating places. We would certainly stay at Tarn Hows again when we return to Keswick

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

First the positives. Room was quite nice but a bit on the small side, breakfast was lovely.

Negatives, hardly any sound proofing in the rooms. You could hear people fart in their sleep. Not joking, its honestly that bad. I'm not a early bird andI tend to go to bed after midnight. One particular evening, before bed I credpt down the stairs to have a cigarette. I was trying to be as quiet as a mouse. Upon finshing and re entering the B&B the owner rather rudely told me that its time to "settle down" and I was keeping the other guests awake. Cheek! His attitude the entire time my parnter and I stay was less than satisfactory. I'm not sure if he took an instant dislike to us because we were gay, the look of us or what. Something was definitely stuck up his nose. The wife on the other hand was always very polite. Another point of literally thowing my clothes into the ward drobe was also pretty rude!

To sum up I wouldn't stay at this B&B again, mainly because of the way the owner acted. I recommened that if you are young or gay, to look for another B&B.

If you go to bed before 11pm, not young and not gay and don't mind the small rooms then I recommend this B&B.....

Room Tip: Do not get the bedroom above the owners bedroom!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
AV1963, Owner at Tarn Hows Guest House, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
I am writing to point out that as from 23rd June 2011 ( after your stay in May) Tarn Hows is under new ownership. I am sorry to hear you were not entirely happy with your stay wiht the previous owners. I am also and surprised as it seems contrary to so many of the other reviews on this site, the guest house visitors book and the high level of guests who return year on year.
Norfolk, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Tarn Hows has recently changed ownership and Andy, the new owner, is determined to keep up the high standards it has become known for. The room we had was a good size and had attractive decor. It was also ensuite (which was clean but a bit snug), which not all the rooms are. There is a decent sized carpark behind the house and guest entrances at the front and rear (handy if you're carrying luggage in or out in the Lake District rain!). It's in a quiet location, a fairly short walk to the town centre where there are a large number of pubs and restaurants to suit all tastes. Andy gave us several recommendations, which were all very good.

There is a good selection of walking-interest books and a PC with internet access and route-planning softwear available for guests use, which is a good idea. Andy is a keen walker himself and is happy to suggest walks.

All in all we were happy with our stay there and will return when we're able to.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Havinbg stayed at several places in the Lake District, None have been as welcoming as that at Tarn Hows Keswick.
Everything from arrival to leaving was Just spot on. Rooms and Breakfasts were (are) just perfect

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I stayed for three nights in Keswick to do some walking on the nearby fells and thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Tarn Hows. It's located in a quiet part of Keswick but only a few minutes walk from the centre of town. I received a warm welcome and Trevor and Gillian were very friendly throughout my stay. The single room was a little small but this is certainly not a complaint and I would be happy to stay in the same room again. There is also a guest lounge with a TV if you want a change of scenery. The Full English breakfast was lovely and set me up nicely for some long walks. I'd certainty stay there again when I plan my next trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Tarn Hows Guest House? Share your experiences!