“Cafe and art room” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 24 Attractions in Keswick
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Perfect all weather attraction for all the family. Discover Keswick's industrial heritage, be amazed at the World's Longest Coloured Pencil, artist demonstrations and workshops are held throughout the year. A full range of Derwent Fine Art pencils are available in the Museum shop, along with Sketchers Coffee shop serving light lunches and afternoon teas.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Cafe and art room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The cafe is very pleasant but doesn't offer interesting food for veggies, the coffee is nice
The art room is a total joy. If I visit Keswick with the grand children we always go, that big round table and usually a tutor just make it a perfect stop.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
“Good points!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Interesting place to visit, difficult to find due to lack of signage in the town, had to ask for it. Didn't give myself enough time to do justice to this very interesting museum, Gift shop expensive, lacked pocket money colouring pencils for kids, cheapest I found were half price to £6 ish. Biggest disappiontment colouring books printed in china, couldn't find any from the U.K.

Northumberland
“Kept hearing there was more to it - there wasn't”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We walked across Keswick to get to the pencil museum, and quite frankly wish we hadn't bothered. £4 each to get in to a small area, (but I did get a free pencil). The only saving grace was the story about hiding maps in pencils during the war. The lady on reception was lovely, and explained everything. I quite honestly thought there would be more to it, but it is very much what it sounds like, pencils on a wall. There is a table set up for kids to do colouring in on, and a small cafe area. If this was anywhere else in the country it would be free admission to try & get people in, I'm ashamed that people have to pay good money for this.

North Yorks
8 attraction reviews
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We went at the weekend. It doesn't look much from the outside, but we all enjoyed it (more than I expected really).

The lady on reception was lovely with the kids (6 and 9) and took time to explain the various trails, quizzes and competitions. There was an offer on and it was £7 entry for all 4 of us which seemed very reasonable.

We toured the museum, watched the video (The Snowman was draw with their pencils) and once the kids handed in their quizzes, they were given some free pencils, so value wise it was very good. There should have been some art demonstrations on but there wasn't enough turn out which was a bit sad as the people there were very enthusiastic.

An hour and a half well spent!

Essex
6 attraction reviews
“Cumberland Pencil Museum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I learnt some facts about pencils I did not know but the museum was a little old fashioned. It reminded me of the type of museum I'd visit as a kid in the 80s. I felt it hadn't moved forward much. Quite small too. A delay in sending my personalised pencils but made up for it by sending some ordinary pencils too.

Visited October 2012