“Last minute break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sweeney's Bar, Restaurant and Rooms

Sweeney's Bar, Restaurant and Rooms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keswick
Sweeney's Bar, Restaurant and Rooms
You added Sweeney's Bar, Restaurant and Rooms to your Saves list
20 Lake Road, Keswick CA12 4TN, England   |
Ranked #152 of 178 Keswick B&B and Inns
Glasgow, Scotland
“Last minute break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Booked last minute by telephone. Stayed in room 4, family room. Bright, spacious, clean and pleasant room. Good advice on arrival about parking which we appreciated. Our 4 year old was made to feel very welcome at this b&b/pub. No noise at all from bar area, but the street outside can be noisy, but it wasn't a huge issue for us. Breakfast was good, fruit, yoghurt, cereals etc followed by fried breakfast option. No complaints at all about the food we had. Never stayed for dinner but we were aware on one of our nights in the bar that other diners were not happy. Don't know what it was about however. Based upon our experience, at a quiet time of year, I'd be happy to recommend this place for a short break.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was so bad that I don't have the energy left in me to write a review. All I need say is: the poor sod left on his own to run it with two girls who barely spoke English at least gave me a complimentary chocolate as he gave me my jacket after we left before our 'meals' arrived.
Keswick's answer to Fawlty Towers, only Basil in this case is a Geordie

Stayed March 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

If you want a giggle/entertainment definately go here to eat. This is something on the lines of Fawlty Towers. As a party of six, we stumbled across Sweeneys, which from the outside looked quite appealing. The table cloth should have given us a clue as what was to come. Stains... ok we thought could have been a busy day. So first came our drinks order. We ordered Corona which is usually drank from the bottle with a piece lime in the top and COLD. Instead we watched the chef run across the road and buy six bottles. We then received our drinks in glasses, flat and warm. Ok we thought, one of our party would just ask for cold beers in future. Yes the manager agreed. Next came the food. The starters were passable. The mains however were dismal. I asked for the 'Chefs Special' on the board of steak and kidney pie, but chips rather than mash. Out came a Hollands round pie with a dollop of frozen mash with two florets of brocolli! Chefs Special???. Then when the manager came to swap the mash for the chips that I asked for, he tripped and threw them all over the table. If it wasnt so hilarious, it would have been frightening how the rest of the evening progressed. We watched as people shook their head and left vowing never to return. We eventually ventured a desert. I opted for the Eton Mess thinking well that cannot be that difficult to make. I was wrong. And search as I did for some meringue, I was damned if I could find any as I tucked in to my final bit of meal that I had hoped could redeem what was the funniest, yet extremely poor service and food. Could I recommend this place? Absolutely not. Of course if you are looking for entertainment, you could find no better..... Just go in, sit at the table and let the fun begin......... Two words. ABSOLUTELY DIRE.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This place is superb. We were looked after by Alan from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. We had a lovely spacious room.

The full English breakfast hit the spot and set us up for the day. The dinner menu looks inviting although we never got to sample it.

I'm sure we'll be back!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went to Sweeney's twice whilst in Keswick this New Year, and I can not see why people are complaining! We went the night before New Year and booked for New Years eve, Alan the Manager (I think) was great and we felt really welcome with our dog and the food was great both nights, my partner had the fillet steak and said it was the best steak he ever had! My food was also great as was the service we were made to feel really welcome as was the dog! I would ignore the reviews and judge for yourself give it a go! we will be back next year!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, Uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I visited the restaurant as part of a party of eight adults and the initial welcome was promising. Unfortunately, the shared starter of mushrooms, calamari and bruschetta was lacking in substance and quality. Worse was to come: my piece of cod consisted largely of batter with very little, watery fish inside it; probably the worst piece of cod I've ever experienced. My friends thought their dishes ok, hence the two stars not one. Would definitely not return as I'm sure there are better restaurants in Keswick.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

we normally come to keswick a couple of times a year and have stayed at different hotels in the area.This time we booked a couple of nights at Sweeneys Alan the manager showed us where we could park up which was great. The room was really nice and spacious,great bathroom and shower could not fault anything.It's a great little location for everything and definatly would like to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sweeney's Bar, Restaurant and Rooms? Share your experiences!