“Sunday lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #149 of 181 Keswick B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

In Keswick the weekend and decided to pop into sweeny's for lunch as the outside menu looked inviting. 3 Roasts on the menu, I had the beef and my girlfriend had the chicken. I asked if I could have my beef rare, if not, i'd have the pork. My beef turned up perfect and it was very tender and delicious. My girlfriend's chicken turned up and lo and behold, it was half a very large chicken. It was amazing value and tasted fantastic. Asked for some extra gravy and horseraddish and nothing was too much trouble. We thought it was just a small restaurant with a few tables until i ventured to the toilet downstairs, where I saw another bar area and spacious outside gardens. They also do rooms at sweeny's and would definately consider staying there in the future. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I could not fault this place 5* all round for service, quality and value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
ladnarf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Had a very pleasant stay at Sweeneys. The location couldn't be better right in the centre of town but with a nice view across the hills. The room was clean and quiet, breakfast excellent and the staff very helpful. The bar and beer garden was also a plus. It is also dog friendly which we needed. We would certainly stay here again. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cockermouth, Cumbria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

visited here last night with my husband and the fact the place was empty at 7pm should have set alarm bells off...ordered a steak each mine was "supposed " to be a rib eye with watercress my husband a rump - I ordered mashed potato with it what we got, which I hasten to add arrived five mins after ordering did not resemble anything like our request the mash was a solid lump which had been reheated and the steak which was supposed to be medium rare was a solid hard lump of meat overcooked and impossible to chew.... We ordered drinks that never arrived and the staff did not offer one sort of apology - they cater for tourists and don't care about return customers well I live in Cockermouth and I will be sure to tell EVERYONE about my experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We loved this spacious contemporary family room in an excellent central location in Keswick! Lots of room for our toddler to play before bed in the light, bright room and really quiet! Alan the manager couldn't have been more helpful and we received great service. The breakfast was excellent and the facilities were toddler friendly. We'd highly recommend Sweeney's for a break in Keswick.

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

This is my first review.

I read a lot of comments after eating here and wonder if the people ate here??? we stumbled on here as we were looking for a place to eat for my wife's birthday weekend.

The place was really nice and clean. It was well run, ok a couple that came in after we did got seated after us but if this was the only issue i would eat here every weekend.

the service was fab and the staff took the time to talk to us and make us feel welcome. I got a a home made beefburger (i am not a massive meat eater) and have to say this was amazing. The food and ambience was fantastic and i would eat here again.

dont listen to the negative comments this is a really nice place to eat. its not michelin star but hey its a fab place in the Lake District

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Popped in to experience the best beer garden in town, it was 24 degrees after all!! Well the beer garden is downstairs at the back and we got our beers in after some waiting and took a look at this beer garden. It was a pretty nice concrete garden but if it’s the best in Keswick well… The area was nice enough to enjoy the sun with a beer, the first beer was ok and I went back again for another quick sharpish, after a 10 minute wait I was served by someone from the kitchen who said he was bored in the kitchen, the lager was cloudy which was replaced and we carried on enjoying the weather.

We visited again during our stay, the service was slow but not as slow as for some others who waited over 20 minutes and 10 of them decided enough was enough and off they went. It seems to be the theme during the day, one bar staff member service upstairs and down. We never visited at night.

We didn’t eat but judging by the menu it was pretty much standard pub fair in Keswick.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ambleside, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Walking back from collecting my girlfriend from work, we were wandering about deciding where to try in Keswick centre. She spotted this lovely looking place as we were passing by and suggested we try it.
Unfortunately, the outside enticement is as far as the positive comments go.
When we entered later that night, we stood at the bar area for a couple of minutes, popped our head around the restaurant area corner to look for some sort of service, yet none was found. A few minutes later, the floorman/barman/serviceman came through where we collared him to enquire about a table. We were told "One second". Fair enough. A moment later he came through and showed us to a "nice table" around the corner from where we had stood, were handed to laminated pieces of paper which we were to assume were menus and sauntered off.
I ordered the soup of the day, which was tomato that day, and my girlfriend ordered the "Deep fried Calamari". The starters arrived promptly in fairness, along with out drinks. However the "Coke" post mix syrup had clearly run out. Ressembling coloured soda water and tasting like a rinsed coke can, the Rosé however was lovely. My Tomato soup was the reddest red I have ever seen. Artificial red. Having previous experience in both bars and kitchens, it's not difficult to spot poor food. The deep fried calamari appeared to look delightful however.
After out starters, our table was cleared and our mains were brought out moments later.
My counterpat ordered Lasagné and I ordered Etna Pizza. The Lasagna was a small portion in a bowl SURROUNDED in tomato pureé. I don't know what they were covering or whether they were just trying to make it look larger than it was, but she couldn't eat it due to disliking copious amounts of tomato pureé. So I swapped my pizza for her Lasagné. But to my dismay, the pizza was PLASTERED in jalapeno's. It does say on the menu there are Jalapenos on there, but not that it may as well be a Jalapeno pizza. So again, she couldn't eat it. The waiter asked if everything was alright, I replied "No, not really". "My girlfriend isn't happy with her meal". I stated that the puree was way too much, however I ate the lasagné because I'm not a fussy eater in honesty. She tried to just eat the crusts off the pizza, because she isn't one to make a fuss, but couldn't, the dough seemed raw in the middle.
After the meals we were asked if we wanted a dessert, we refused and he deducted £6 off the bill for the Lasagné, which was considerably more than that I might add. Mumbling, "I can't do fairer than that". After a few more condescending comments and quizzing questions about why we had swapped, he left us be. We paid the bill and left.

Will never return there again. We see eachother once a week and go out for a meal. Completely runed our night and my visit. Sack the chef, get more staff. Use fresh produce and use it well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sweeney's Bar, Restaurant and Rooms? Share your experiences!