“In the centre of things” 4 of 5 stars

The Skiddaw Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Keswick CA12 5BN, England   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Keswick
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“In the centre of things”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Just stayed one night, on spec., and was totally satisfied. Comfortable room, great bathroom, excellent breakfast rapidly presented. Location is ideal for the town - you are in it - and car parking arrangements are ideal.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear John T

I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and hope you will be back to enjoy another lovely stay soon.

Neels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Overall Keswick is an incredible place to stay, the Skiddaw Hotel is brilliantly located however the overall experience had a little less to be desired.

The room was well furnished but it was rather small, it was not easy to get ready with 2 suitcases in the room. It also incredibly hot, which can cause some difficulty trying to sleep.

Breakfast was good and the dinner was up and down. Good starter for both my boyfriend and I, however the mains were not so good.
I ordered the steak which was cooked very well,, but the standard vegetables you get were boring and bland. My boyfriend order the lamb, it looked like cat food and tasted like school dinners.

The redeeming fact was that the staff were very nice and friendly. I am not sure if I would come back, but it was a good base to go for walks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EllaDarling5

I am glad that you ejoyed your hoilday in Keswick, I agree it is an incredible place. I am also glad that you enjoyed most of your stay and hope that you will stay with us again. I hope and trust that next time you will leave with only positive memories.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at The Skiddaw Hotel and was very impressed. All very clean and tidy, centrally located in the town and the staff were very friendly/helpful. En-suite bathroom was recently refurbished to a high standard. Full English breakfast was good too. If I went back to the Lakes, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Richylucas

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at The Skiddaw Hotel. I am very pleased that you had such a lovely time and hope that you are able to visit the Lakes again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I recently stayed here with my husband and another couple. We chose the Skiddaw for its central location. We both had double rooms overlooking a side street, the rooms were small and the décor was very old fashioned. However, the beds were comfortable, there was plenty of tea and coffee in the room and the bathroom looked like it had recently been refurbished, very clean with fluffy towels, good shower and nice little amenities.

Breakfast the next day was probably below average as cooked breakfasts go and the room was so hot it was ridiculous!

You can park in the main car park at the back of the hotel and they give you a pass to put in your car so you don't need to pay.

My only complaint is the strange thing that happened when we checked out........I went back to our room to collect a couple of tops that I had left in the wardrobe (the maid must have gone straight in and found them so rang reception to let me know) when I got back to the room she took me into our friends room and told me they had been smoking in the room. I have a number of issues with being told off by the maid.
1. they were not smoking and they will be writing to complain about being accused of this when they were not there to defend themselves.
2. that wasn't my room so its nothing to do with me and I don't appreciate being marched into someone else's room and told off for something I know nothing about.
3. nothing was said at the desk as we checked out so why accuse me when I went up there.
4. I believe the maid wanted me to offer her money so that she wouldn't charge me as she kept saying there was a £100 fine for smoking and kept repeating herself.

Im disgusted at being treated like this after we had spent an overpriced night at a hotel clearly only able to charge these prices due to its location. I have stayed in far better hotels/B&B's in Keswick a lot cheaper such as the Keswick Park Hotel and the Babbling Brook Guest House.

This review would have been far better had the maid not ruined it for us on check out. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Terri Anne E

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am very glad that said you enjoyed most of your stay, until after checking out.

I must confess my surprise at the incident you experienced as the "telling off" you mentioned was recalled very differently by the housekeeper who spoke to you after she found your clothes which had been left behind. She mentioned the smoking in the room as she was in that room when you fetched the clothes from her and were talking about it and she knew that you were friends with the people who were in that room. The lady in question is VERY chatty and mentioned the smoking as it is illegal and mentioned the £100 charge but was trying to make the point that as the smell wasn't very strong, it won't be a problem and not worth mentioning to reception. I am sorry that you were disgusted and can assure you that this was not the intention of the lady you spoke with. She is one of the friendliest people I know and was quite upset when I told her of the upset that she had caused. The suggestion that she wanted you to give her some money is ..... just wrong.

I am sorry that you left feeling upset that you didn't experience the same friendliness for which we are well known and which most other guests have commented on on this site.

North Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We ate in the Restaurant, after just walking in to Hotel on a Saturday night. We were given a table after a few minutes and from start to the finish of the meal we treat like royalty. The food was excellent and plentiful and the staff all were attentive helpful, all with smiles on their faces.
Thank you well done we will be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JillandMal

I am very glad you enjoyed your meal here and have taken the time to pass on your experiences. I am fortunate enough to work with a very good team who work well together and it shows.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Been to Keswick and stayed at the Skiddaw hotel .The staff are very friendly and extremely helpful .Very clean and the food was excellent. The room was great.Entertainment on Friday and Saturday was good. Stayed here before and it was nice to see familiar faces among the staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear HCWHolmes

I am very glad that you have had another very enjoyable stay with us. As nice as it is for you to see familiar faces, myself and the other staff also love seeing and chatting to guests who have visited before. Our Friday and Saturday night music continues to get more and more popular and will continue throughout the winter. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

One of the few Hotels in Keswick that allow dogs to stay.
Lovely people and very comfortable, Joe the Beagle loved his first holiday.
Thanks for looking after my bike.
Hotel is ideally located although can get noisy at the weekend

• Stayed September 2013
Dear JamesMKemp and Beagle

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay here at the Skiddaw Hotel. It certainly was our pleasure looking after your bike and defintely a pleasure to have Beagle stay with us too. It's not just The Skiddaw, the whole town of Keswick is such a dog friendly town with most shops welcoming dogs and an abundance of beautiful areas to walk dogs within the town.

Neels

Been to The Skiddaw Hotel? Share your experiences!