“Could have been a lot better” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
England
“Could have been a lot better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

For fear of being controversial but every time I go up to the lakes on a walking weekend, which is reasonably frequently, I always come away with the thought that the vast majority of the eateries just go through the motions and rely on the fact that Keswick, Ambleside and Windermere are such tourist traps

Sweeneys was one such place - we (2 adults, 2 kids) ate there on a Sunday lunchtime whilst seeking respite from the usual autumnal lakeland deluge

Menu was an odd mix of snacks and some mains, all of which was "safe" pub fayre

The food and service waisn't bad, it just wasnt good. Every course missed the mark in some way.

I had a seafood platter starter which was pretty good and very large for the price. Yet my wife had a OKish Caesar which was a bit on the miserly side for the money

Our chicken roasts were OK, there was no stuffing (?) and we had to pay 50p extra for yorkshire puddings (we discovered when the bill came) - why?

Kids fish and chips was alright - straight out of the freezer though

Our chocolate brownie desserts were dry

Could have been so much better with a little more attention to detail

• 3 of 5 stars Food

London
“Great alternative to pub fare in Keswick!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

After several nights of delicious but hearty and not-very-healthy pub grub, my husband and I went in search of a healthier alternative in Keswick that would also be fairly easy on our wallets. The hotels were out (too pricey!), but we found Sweeney's and it was absolutely perfect. The wait staff were attentive and pleasant, the menu was varied, and the food was just what I wanted! The goat cheese salad was perfect and well-proportioned and my husband enjoyed his pizza. The atmosphere wasn't anything special, but it was very good for the restaurant's price bracket and we both appreciated the candlelight. There aren't really a lot of non-ethnic/non-pub restaurants in town for those of us who don't want to break the bank, so Sweeney's was a good alternative and centrally-located to boot!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Best food on our short visit to Keswick.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I went here with my wife to meet some friends.
It was virtually empty on a Thursday night, and so we received a very friendly welcome. The fixed price menu offered the choice we were looking for - steaks, gammon / salmon.

My steak & chips was perfectly cooked & the best I have had for a long time. My wife had the same & agreed. Starters & desserts were also excellent. Our Merlot was of a good quality & quite reasonable.

We will definitely return to Sweeneys, on our next visit to Keswick. I trust that they can manage to retain the high standard we experienced.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Durham, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Booked here in advance to celebrate a 50th birthday weekend. Very disappointed in the food. The beef steaks were well cooked, but so small, and the gammon steaks were tiny. The lasagne had no meat in it, just smothered in tomato sauce. At first we thought they had made a mistake and given us a vegetarian lasagne, but no they confirmed it was supposed to be beef lasagne. We sent it back and were offered a pizza instead. Service was average, the atmosphere was zero. Such a disappointment as it could be a lovely restaurant and in such a good location. Shame.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
CHESHIRE
“Rock hard Yorkshires”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

On the third night of our weekend stay we tried Sweeneys as it looked inviting. They advertised Sunday lunch on the billboard one price all in. When we came to order they could only offer chicken the ony meat left that day. So we had the chicken. The waiter asked did we want yorkshires, we said yes as as far as were concerned this is part of the Sunday lunch. The food was ok. But the yorkshire puddings were rock hard so we left them. I always tip but found out when we got the bill we were charged extra for the rock hard yorkshire puds so didn't bother beware of the hidden charge.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere