“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Keswick
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Top marks for this great hotel. Fantastic views of Derwent water and Catbells from our lovely and spacious bedroom.To wake up with that fantastic view is just fab. The staff are all friendly and well trained. Evening dinner is an experience not to be missed, top quality and beautifully presented, an excellent cooked to order breakfast and a good selection of fresh fruit. Situated on a quiet street with private parking to the rear, within 2 minutes walk of the town centre just makes this hotel our favourite in Keswick.

Room Tip: A large tree can obscure the view from some rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary, my wife and I had a lovely stay. The hotel was easy to find, very well located for Keswick centre and had a brilliant view from our room to the lake.

We had dinner in the hotel first night and the food was very good. Very rich and a nice choice of meals, can recommend this hotel and the breakfast was equally nice!

The staff were very helpful and always pleasant, will happily recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights bed and breakfast in the East Turret room (and one night with dinner). I enjoyed my stay here and the room was lovely. It had a little extra upstairs room with a window seat and the most fantastic view across Derwentwater! The room had a queen bed with basic coffee facilities, small bathroom and a lovely big cupboard that fitted my large suitcase. I was a bit worried when I booked that, given it was an older building, it would have that 'old people's home' smell - but it wasn't at all!!

I'm vegetarian and I found the single item offered for each course on the menu focused too much on cheese! Only ate here one night because of the limited offers; the food was delicious and the chef accommodated my request to change listed menu items. Breakfast was not particularly exciting (a better selection of cereal and fresh fruit would rate higher) but covered off good basics and the hot food was cooked freshly.

The access to the main street in Keswick was by a short walk (max 2 minutes) and it was also a short walk to the launch across the water. The location was perfect and having a car park meant we could either drive to other areas or just walk out from the hotel. There is no lift but my bag was carried up the stairs!

Service was fantastic and very helpful!
I will definitely stay here again when I return to the Lake District.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our second six night stay at the Highfield. We've had occasions before where a repeat visit to a hotel has been disappointing compared to the first stay but that was not the case at the Highfield. The rooms are very high quality and the food is stunning. Many of the staff from three years ago were still working there and they are all very good. The weather was absolutely appalling but at least we had a comfortable room and quality food to keep our spirits up. Location is also superb and the views from some of the rooms are lovely. Highly recommended from a seasoned traveller.

Room Tip: First floor rooms with bay window better for winter. In summer first floor rooms with balcony if the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have visited the Highfield on many occasions and it never fails to please, from the amazing customer service, the friendly staff and the delicious food, you really can't go wrong. The hotel is ideally located for walking into the town centre, the Theatre by the Lake and down into Hope Park. Nick the manager is delightful and very helpful. I have breathing difficulties and Nick helped me to get my bags out of the car and put them back for me before I left. We even had sunshine!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have just had a wonderful week at this excellent hotel, (weather was appalling though, but that’s the Lakes for you). We were warmly greeted by Nick the manager who saw us personally to our room (The Woodford). The room was marvellous, a large and well appointed bathroom, with a deep bath that was gainfully employed after a full days slog on the Fells. The overall layout of the room was excellent, complete with the biggest bed I have ever seen, and an elevated seating area with comfy chairs to watch telly. The evening meals are first rate; we ate there three of the six nights; the service is top drawer, and the quality of the food is of an extremely high standard. If you are strictly B&B, the breakfast will not disappoint, the Cumberland full English is to die for. The location of the hotel could not be more convenient to Keswick, literally minutes from the centre of town and the Theatre by the Lake. And last, but by no means least, there is plenty of private parking behind the Hotel. All in all, this is a very civilised establishment, with well-trained and helpful staff and a credit to the manager.

Room Tip: Book the Woodford, it will not disappoint
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Car parking, 5 min. walk into the centre are important in Keswick. Add to it, this hotel is incredibly comfortable, has great views, exceptional service, and a restaurant that serves top,top food. We were a party of 6, and we all thought the same. We will definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: the lake views were great from the higher floors
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Highfield Hotel? Share your experiences!