“Brilliant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Cumbria
“Brilliant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Very consistent, friendly staff, good food, and a great atmposhpere ! No complaints.

Visited July 2011

United Kingdom
“Great traditional pub and great value food but now is too doggy:{”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Have always loved this pub as it is unpretentious and serves good value tasty food. Especially the goulash! But in recent years the dog friendly aspect has just got too much for us . I am not against dogs just allergic to them and thoughtless owners coming in and parking their three retrievers ( yes three!) under my table whilst half way through a meal was just too much! I have to admit I will probably not gamble on eating here again as the risk of sneezing and asthma attacks is now inevitable. They have even gone to the lengths of you being able to buy your dog a meal while you eat!
Perhaps they should consider a doggy free area to allow people like me to continue to enjoy visiting.

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Egremont, United Kingdom
“My favourite place in Keswick...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I live in the local area, about a 40 minute drive away and when in Keswick, often on a Sunday or bank holiday I wont go anywhere else for food.
Lovely small intimate atmosphere. Yes it is hard to get a seat sometimes but it isnt Wetherspoons! And as for the people that dont like dogs, dont go! Im not a big dog lover myself but niether myself or anyone I've been with have ever had a problem with them; they sit quiet and dont bother anyone, in fact I feel it adds to the atmosphere.
The pub always has nice specials and the Goulash and garlic bread is fab. Dont go if your expecting egg and chips as they dont do anything fried, a fact I never noticed as they have such fab hearty food till my friend pointed it out. Wish I could comment more on other resturants in Keswick but I never get past here!

Visited December 2011
“Goulash is overated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011 via mobile

I understand that people rave about the goulash, I have had it on 2 occasions now and have had very little meat in either one. I shall not be suckered in again.
Also there are too many dogs, I get that people have dogs and wish to take them with them to the pub. However I don't like dogs and see why I should have to share my space with them. They are hardy enough to be left outside

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Teesside
“What happened to the real fires?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

This used to be our favourite place in Keswick and we were looking forward to spending a few nights there again but on entering it was rather cold without any real fires which used to be so welcoming. One of them even had Christmas lights in front of it so I expect it will not be on again soon even though it was snowing outside one time when we went in. It was also half empty and one night they even cordoned off one end of the pub and the cordon was still in place the next evening. Because of this the times we went in we just stayed for a pint and left to get a warm elsewhere. Pity as the food used to be excellent

• Visited December 2011