“Praise where praise is due!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Larry's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keswick
Larry's Lodge
You added Larry's Lodge to your Saves list
39 Eskin Street, Keswick CA12 4DG, England   |
Ranked #75 of 178 Keswick B&B and Inns
Darlington
“Praise where praise is due!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I have been, for about six years, staying at Larry’s Lodge. Early June ’12 was my most recent visit.

The Standards throughout Sue and Dave’s B&B have remained first class. Cleanliness, Food, advice on Local and District Shopping, places to visit. Walking, Climbing help, all of which makes for a relaxed mind when setting off from my home, prior to and during every visit.
I feel very ‘welcomed’ when I phone up to Book a stay, say who is calling, either Sue or Dave will use my Christian name in response! Friendly, flexible and efficient every time.

Kyle and Arthur, the two dogs, are very well behaved. They never jump up when I arrive, return from a day out or intrude into Guest’s Rooms or the Dining Room.

Some Guests, very few fortunately, are noisy in their Rooms and at Breakfast.
Recently I was woken up by loud voices and laughter. My room was next to a room booked by rowdy men, who returned from a night out, at 02:21am?!?
No B&B owners would or should knowingly take a Booking from such thoughtless selfish people.

Their behaviour will not prevent me from continuing to book a Larry’s Lodge for as long as I'm able to laugh, walk, climb, be with great 'Hosts' and two beautiful dogs.

Room Tip: I've stayed in all 5 Rooms. All are quiet, well stocked with coffee/tea etc. TV/Radio. Ample dra...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Larry40, Owner at Larry's Lodge, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Our regular customers are very important to us, and as you have stayed many, many times before, we were glad to hear the rowdy guests who unfortunately woke you up last time, have not deterred your loyalty to us, very much appreciated. See you soon, Sue, Dave, Kyle and Arthur.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bampton Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed two nights with Sue and Dave, taking a well earned break from setting up a new business. The welcome was warm, the room was beautiful and the breakfast was everything we could have wanted. Keswick has literally hundreds of places to stay, and we visit there a lot. Now we've found Larry's Lodge, we won't be staying anywhere else. Totally recommended!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Lovely B&B, gorgeous little touches, Sue and Dave are extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was plentiful with loads of choices,much better than the breakfast we had at a 5 star hotel in Northumberland.

The bedrooms are spotless and unlike review from pmjf123 did not smell of dog wet or otherwise. There are plenty of homely touches such as Sue's patchwork and embroidery and Dave's paintings. A real home from home.

Loads of things to do in the area from walks to craft shops and cafes. Best scones to be found at Portinscale Marina with fab views over the lake.

Many thanks for a brilliant stay and we will be back!!!

Malcolm and June

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I was on my way to a stag weekend in Penrith and 4 of us decided to go up a day early stay the night in keswick and do some walking. Keswick is a great place that I vist a couple of times a year, it has some great mountain walks, beautiful lake and a wealth of pubs and restaurants.

When we checked in at Larry's Lodge we mentioned in passing we were going to a stag do the next night at this point the mood changed, it was as if we had said "we're off out torching orphanages tomorrow".

The second we handed over our money the next morning we were belittled by Sue and told had she known we were going to a stag party we would not have been allowed to stay and that "wasn't what keswick was about". How kind of someone with a geordie accent to speak on behalf of keswick about what keswick is and isn't about. I'm sure the bars and restaurants with 1 o'clock licences a hundred metres from your dog kennel might have a different view of what keswick is and isn't about.

This was a myself a man in his 30s and my dad in his 50s being made to feel like naughty school children as we handed over what we thought was a lot of money for what I consider to be a very over priced below average hotel (and I've been to a number in Keswick, all of which were fully booked at the last minute. Not surprisingly larry's lodge had vacancies)

In summary only stay here if you fulfill a certain criteria if you are middle aged, tee total, like your tiny breakfast at exactly 8:30 not a minute sooner or later, have a dog (or no sense of smell), you don't intend to be swinging a cat during your stay and definately not if you intend to go on a stag/18th/21st/30th/40th/50th/hen/retirement/anniversary/etc party in the following days.

Maybe just make it clear on your website who your kennel is and isn't for, rather than feeling once you have our money in your hand you have licence to talk down to them.

All this said we were aware Keswick isn't exactly Las Vegas so tried our best to keep the noise down when we came in.I know there will be some reply to this that we were snorting concaine off their dogs tail at 5 in the morning or we had an orgy with Polish hookers in the breakfast room...which won't be true we were just 4 normal guys on our way to stag doing some walking and having some beers until 12:50 am in a town I've been to many times.

My brother and his friend also in our party went to another bar until 2, neither myself or my dad heard them come into the room under us, so I assume they were as quiet as we were coming in.

The bar open until 2 probably dont realise what Keswick is and isn't about either......

All that said the owner Dave could not have been nicer shame about his partner in crime Sue, Keep up the good work Dave.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Larry40, Owner at Larry's Lodge, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Funny that in life you can please some of the people some of the time, but no matter how hard one tries, you can never please everyone. The last time we took a stag party in we had to replace a mattress as one guest had drank too much, not a pleasant experience. Most, at least 85% of our guests come for the peace and quiet. Some are very fit over fifties just coming for a relaxing time, and are very happy with the way we run our establishment, no negative comments. They even come several times in a season. The three other guests that stayed at the same time as your party made a complaint to me personally before you came down for your 8.30 breakfast and asked me to speak to you. I was woken up at least three times during the night when various doors were slammed, as were the other people staying.

This is not the time to enter into an argument regarding what you think of me, my accent, my attitude, or my dogs, but I will take on board your comments. I just hope my regulars, who are more than happy with the way both Dave and I run Larry's Lodge see your review for what it is.
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Staying at Larry's Lodge for the Keswick beer festival, fantastic service provided in a very friendly establishment. Environment very clean and en-suite facilities really good. Breakfast provided in line with individual choice, cereals, fruit and yoghurt, full english breakfast and friends who were vegetarian had all needs met. Dave also makes his own bread which he is very generous with and had plenty of food to meet my healthy appetite. Only a few minutes from Keswick town centre. Great food, great atmosphere and looking forward to going back there again for 2013. Repeat visitor and intend to continue to stay there whenever I visit Keswick

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Larry40, Owner at Larry's Lodge, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to add a positive note after your stay with us. Always welcome here for the beer festival, as you and your friends treat us and our home with respect. See you next year again, hopefully.

Sue and Dave
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

The wife,I and the dog stayed at Larrys lodge back in Feburary this year for 4 nights before I deployed on tour to Afganistan. During are stay we where made very welcome by Sue & Dave from start to finish. We could always ask questions on where to go from day to day and given great direction on places to visit & eat. Are dog was also well looked after with clean towels after wet walks over the lakes on arrival back to the B&B. Would recommend to anyone reading this review to give it a try, it's not the ritz but if you want good somewhere with everything on your doorstep then this is a good place to start. Again thank you both for a great time.

Regards Neil & Wendy & Shylow (The dog)

• Stayed February 2012
Larry40, Owner at Larry's Lodge, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Hi Neil and Wendy

Thanks for your lovely report, much appreciated, hope you are both safe and well and hope to see you again next time you are on leave.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

If your looking for a place to stay, this is the one, Sue & Dave made my stay with them for 4 weeks, home from home, a spotless B&B in the centre of the town with every thing within walking distance, and if your a dog lover its a bonus.thanks for making my stay perfect Sue & Dave.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Larry's Lodge? Share your experiences!