“Hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

017687 71171
Improve this listing
Ranked #93 of 116 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: British
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was in on Sunday night had a lovely meal with my partner starters very good and steaks cooked to perfection. Asked for mine rare and it came just as I asked for made to feel very welcome Lovely staff well worth a visit we only visit once a year but will certainly be back next year and will be recommending it to our friends thank you for a lovely night

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Lovely atmosphere with friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Me and my partner visited the other night the staff were friendly and pleasant we both had garlic mushrooms which were lovely and the steaks were done to perfection I Wud highly recommend it and we will be visiting again

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The only thing that makes any link to 'being 17 again' is hostility, stroppiness and poor attitude.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My boyfriend & I visited today. Firstly it was freezing in there both temperature wise and atmosphere. We seated ourselves & waited a fair time to be served. The waitress didn't even crack a smile, looked thoroughly fed up. She got our order wrong but on hearing her attitude and seeing her rolling eyes when a man on another table raised an issue we decided to keep quiet. The woman was moody & v unwelcoming - a real shame as the idea of a shop & cafe could really work. The place was freezing cold, I kept my coat in the whole time. There was coffee stains on the wallpaper where we were sat, my cup and saucer were both dirty. The waitress let some people leave without even saying goodbye. We paid up and it was only as we were leaving she perked up & asked if everything was ok by which point we just wanted to get out of there. It was as if we( the patrons) had done something wrong?! We left and will never return. On walking round the town there are many,much nicer more welcoming places to eat. Such a shame as the cake was lovely but totally soured by the negativity from the staff. Only reference to being 17 that we could see was stroppy rudeness with a sullen attitude.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Hostile staff and poor food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our first and last visit to 17 again! We chose the 2 course meal from the evening menu which looked quite appetising and worded very well. However the food was very disappointing and the service was appalling. I chose the garlic mushrooms which were ok as you can't reali go wrong cooking a few mushrooms and filling them with garlic. My partner chose baked Camembert. There's baked and there's cremated, it was terrible and swimming in grease as it was over cooked. We both chose steak. Both steaks were over cooked and very dry when I first complained the woman became quite abrupt and said she had never had complaints before. I asked for the bill expecting to be some discount as we had explained that we did not enjoy the meal however she threw the full total amount bill at us and walked off. My partner took the plate to the woman which then snatched it out of my partners hand and stormed off. I questioned the bill to which she started arguing with myself and my partner. The woman wanted to charge us £20 for 2 starters when it cost £27 in total. I said I would not pay £20 for a few mushrooms and an over cooked Camembert. The woman became quite rude towards us. I would avoid it like the plague!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Back to an old Favourite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Thought I should write a few words regarding this wee gem of a restaurant in Keswick.....its fab!

For a number of years now I have been holidaying in Keswick in various guises and a few years ago stumbled upon "17again". Decided to try it as it looked a wee bit quirky and was blown away by the quality (and quantity) of the food....Returned to it tonight and was a wee it apprehensive as a couple of folk had given it not so good reviews.....Had it changed that much??

NO was the answer...the food was still first class both quality and quantity - the service was great (thanks Emily!!) and yes I would return without hesitation.

Yes it hadn't been plain sailing for them over the summer with the passing of (i believe) the owner, however her sister has it under her reigns - its back on an even keil and I would have no hesitation at recommending this fab restaurant to anyone..

And as one famous actor once said....."I'll be back!!"

• Visited September 2012