“Great B&B! Highly Recommended.” 5 of 5 stars

Squirrel Lodge
and 1 more site!
You added Squirrel Lodge to your Saves list
Squirrel Lodge
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   43 Eskin Street, Keswick-on-Derwentwate, Keswick CA12 4DG, England   |
Ranked #134 of 178 Keswick B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“Great B&B! Highly Recommended.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed at the Squirrel Lodge for 3 nights in a twin bedroom with a friend. It truly defined the vision of a cozy Lake District B&B. Pat was extremely accommodating and the breakfasts were DELICIOUS.

We arrived early Friday morning in order to begin a long hike up Blencathra. Pat welcomed us inside so that we could dump some of our gear. After learning about our intended destination, she pulled out a book giving us the best route up to the summit. Without having this book on the journey, we would've easily been lost on the trail as the weather turned bad fast.

In the mornings, I tried both the meaty and fishy breakfast options. I can honestly say you can't go wrong with either. The wonderful breakfasts really jump started our day and helped push us through our grueling daily hikes in the mountains.

Being able to come back after each hike to a comfy room with great decor was extremely relaxing. In fact, Pat even folded my stray shirts and scarves in addition to making the bed while we were out on the trails.

We received excellent advice about the weather and how to hike the mountains we were able to summit during the 4 day stay, including Scafell Pike.

I highly recommend staying at the Squirrel Lodge if you are looking for an amazing B&B located close to the greatest peaks in England.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
LANCASHIRE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Me & my Brother stayed here for one night as a base to sleep after walking Hellvelyn. We were greeted pleasantly by the owner Pat at the b&b and shown to our rooms. The rooms were typical of a standard b&b and were clean & tidy. After freshening up we went out for something to eat and drink...

Upon our return we made our way up to our room to find that the door would not open. The key would not turn in the lock. We tried to find someone to assist us but there was no one in sight. We did try and ring the number off the hotel card but this rang through to an answer machine. Luckily i had come in a camper so we went and slept in there with no quilts. We deciced at 6am to go back inside the b&b and see if anyone was up. There was no one there so after another half hour we rang the number again and Pat answered.

Pat then came out from where she must have been sleeping and said she would open the door even though we had tried numberous times. This was not the case and after trying to contact a locksmith with no success we ended up breaking in the room at the owners request so that we could collect our belongings and get back home for our various commitments.

Before we left we obviously brought up the subject of a refund as we felt we had not even managed to get in our room to sleep let alone eat breakfest. We paid £64 for a twin room and the owner offered us £30 of that as a refund!!! We felt £34 for a shower was an absolute joke & insult and she never even offered an apology. As soon as we challenged her about the refund her attitude changed immediately and she tried defending the fact that we had used the shower! After arguing the toss she gave us £50 back (charging £14 for a shower) along with no apology which we felt was the biggest insult.

The reason why I have added our comments onto this site is not because of the £14 shower but due to the fact that there was no apology. By the change in the owners mood I can understand why some guests never discussed their feedback upon check out.

Prior to us getting locked out the room I would have recommended the b&b but as she was not even concerned that we had slept in a van on the street I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

We look forward to hearing your feedback Pat.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
KeswickSquirrels, Owner at Squirrel Lodge, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
It saddened me to read this review, as being an accommodation provider I aim to please and want my guests to enjoy their stay with me.

The reality of this situation was down to a lock mechanism failure and although I got the blame for it, it was totally out of my hands.
The chain of events which followed, led to a worst case scenario. I don't blame my guests for being upset and frustrated at not being able to access their room, but did they really have to vent their anger on me in such an intimidating manner, littered with expletives?

When they first arrived it was a normal check-in procedure; they showered & changed, I offered to dry their jackets and they went off happily into town at around 3pm to eat and drink. What happened in the intervening period of ELEVEN HOURS of eating and I suspect much more drinking, no doubt had a strong bearing on the eventual outcome of their night. They said they tried to find a member of staff to enable them to gain entry to their room at 2 am, but did they really expect to find someone up at that time of night?! I didn't hear the doorbell (we have an alarm upstairs where I was sleeping) or have any missed calls on the landline or mobile and there weren't any messages left on the ansaphones. I don't believe that they had tried to contact me to be let in and It is anyones guess what state these men were in after such a long period of drinking.

The first inkling I had that something was amiss was when I received a phone call from them at around 7 am, demanding to be let into their room and asking for a refund. You can imagine my horror! I raced downstairs in my dressing gown to be confronted in the hallway by my two irate guests, plus another man who I had never seen in my life! They reeked of alcohol and were clearly angry and still drunk and hungover. I felt very vulnerable and threatened and not least because I was alone in the house. I frantically tried to open their door with both master keys and was at a loss why the door wouldn't open when it had worked perfectly well the day before. I then tried to contact a locksmith and it was during this time that they kept berating me to hurry up and give them their money back, and yet bizarrely boasting about how much money they earned. They said it wasn't funny any more-well I never thought it was funny in the first place! Eventually after trying in vain to find a locksmith, I realised the only answer was to force the door so they could get their belongings and leave. I was so frightened I just wanted them to leave as soon as possible. I gave them a £50 refund and off they begrudgingly went.

I composed myself and started to prepare breakfast for the third man from the party who was booked into the single room, but I was still shaken from the experience. He duly arrived around 9 am and apologised that they had all drunk far too much and he didn't feel like eating breakfast. He was a true gentleman and very polite and apologised on behalf of the other guests for their behaviour.
With hindsight, it could all have been so different. If I had been alerted to their predicament at the time of it happening I could have offered them a different room and everyone would have been happy.
I am sorry that this happened and feel sad and sickened that I have been cast as the villain just because I didn't utter that word at the time, sorry.

Pat Gallagher, Proprietor
Hawkes Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We had one night with Pat at Squirrel Lodge. Pat was very friendly and gave us ideas on what to see and do. Our room was nice, clean and tidy with a comfy bed. Pat served a very nice breakfast in the dinning room where we enjoyed chatting with other guests.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Cosy room, beautiful breakfast, attention to detail, Pat very helpful and accommodating, highly recommended

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011 via mobile

I stayed last night, on my first time in Keswick .firstly pat accommodated our arrangments tremendously and we were ever grateful and due to this fact I did not expect the earth as it was a last minute arrangment.

On arrival I found the bnb quirky and quaint. As long as you are not stuck up and expecting a swish modern accommodation you can't complain! I found my actual room fairly modern (decor) there was nothing the room did not have for an over night stay. It was all very clean. My only criticism is that we were very warm in our room, we had our window wide open and as a result we struggled to sleep through ,due to some lager louts in the side street shouting and balling at 4am, until local police moved them on! - however this was not really the bnb's fault.
Our shower cubicle was a wee bit small but as I guessed I had the smallest room, I can see it was a tight fit.

But the BEST part of the stay was the amazing breakfast we had the next day! I think it maywell be the nicest full English breakfast I've ever had! It was beautiful, fantastic quality meat, non greasy and 100% enjoyable! I would return simply for the fabulouse brekky!
Thank you pat for a lovely bnb, was not a dampener on my first Keswick visit! - from a 20 something young couple

• Stayed June 2011
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Following staying in the Lake District on many occasions, we wish we had found Squirrel Lodge before. Our stay there has prompted us to tell everyone how excellent it was considering the great value. Started with easy peasy direct booking online, really friendly and warm welcome on arrival, comfortable and modern rooms, must be best breakfast in Keswick? What more can we say, we are looking forwards to a return visit in the near future. 5 Stars from us in every way.

Room Tip: All rooms shared equal views & quiteness.