“Clean, Comfortable and friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dun Horse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kendal
Dun Horse
You added Dun Horse to your Saves list
5 Stramongate, Kendal LA9 4BH, England   |
Ranked #41 of 42 Kendal B&B and Inns
“Clean, Comfortable and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed here with a group of friends. The staff were very welcoming and friendly, to ensure we had everything we needed. The rooms were basic, but clean and comfortable. It is in the centre of Kendal, so perfect location for shopping, drinking or eating out. The bar provides great entertainment at the weekend, so can be a little noisy if your wanting an early night. We had plenty of information provided by the manager for activities to do and were to eat.
Ideal stay at the weekend with friends for a great night out! I would definately stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

On the 17/1/2013 myself and a friend on a weekend away booked into the dun horse,
Upon arrival we were greeted by the manager who was very friendly and welcoming, he showed us to our rooms witch were basic but what you would expect and perfectly adequate for the price.
He offered information and advice on things to do in the surrounding area. Later in the evening we ventured out into Kendal for a meal and a couple of drinks, upon return we found the bar to be vibrant and a fun place to be
The bar staff were full of life and made us feel valued
Great night had buy all !
Wil be going back again soon.

• Stayed January 2013
Colchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at the Dun Horse Hotel with a friend for two nights, the 27th and 28th December 2012.
On arrival, the young lad behind the bar showed us to our room. He was polite and gave us the information we needed at the time (Where to park etc)

The room itself was outside the pub building, in another building the staff seem to call 'the bungalow'. It's perfectly adequate to house guests outside, but the rooms leave alot to be desired. The room was very warm on arrival which was lovely. It was not so lovely when we realised the radiators did not switch off. Ever. I turned it right off, and it was still baking hot. Opening the windows was also not an option, as they only opened about an inch, and let no air in at all.
The 2 room windows opened on to the alleyway where the bins were kept, and the empties were stored, and where the 'smokers' gathered. Quite frankly, it stank outside.
The bed linen was dirty. One of the valances looked like it had not been washed in some time. Wallpaper was peeling off, wires were hanging out of the walls and my bed was so squeaky it kept my friend awake. The tv also did not work and had wires hanging out everywhere, and the promise of WIFI, was not to be, as it could only be picked up in the bar!

The bathroom was clean, but freezing cold. The shock from the tropical conditions in the room, to the Baltic of the bathroom, I think has been the reason for me having a stinking cold this week! It was adequate, though the tiles would full of mildew. Fresh towels were supplied in your room, which were clean. The water was tropically hot thank goodness!

Let's talk about the bar...

This is not a hotel, and should never have been called one. It is a pub, that has nightclub style music, even on week nights. It has two nightclub style floors, with purpose built in flashing disco lights. None of this is mentioned on their website. I also thought it was a gay bar, but was corrected on the second night. (Not that I have anything against gay people at all! It was just an observation!)
The music went on until 2am both nights. There were two doors to get into the 'bar/nightclub', and internal and external door, neither of which were ever fully closed. Hence, the music was even louder. The pub users were loud, and abusive. At one point I asked two women to keep the noise down outside my window, only to have abuse hurled back at me, and the noise to then increase, as up to 20 people stood outside screaming, swearing, and one man was urinating up the side of the hotel (When the toilets were 30 steps away) and smoking underneath our window. Needless to say, we had no sleep whatsoever. You either closed the windows and cooked and put up with the noise, or opened the windows and the noise was even worse. Later in the evening, a man was actually hanging off our window by his fingertips. If I had been on my own, I probably would of been quite scared!

After this had happened the first night, I asked to speak to the manager. To be fair, he was very understanding, but blamed all of the problems on someone else. The plumber had messed up the heating. His manager wouldn't spend any more money on repairs etc. He also tried telling me that the website clearly stated they played music. No it doesn't. Not anywhere! It also does not cost anymore to wash your linens to a better standard. He also said the WIFI did not work in our room as it was 'an old building'.
He did however, offer me a one night refund, which I accepted. He then disappeared upstairs, oblivious to the fact that doors being open were causing problems still and made no attempt to make us any more comfortable than the night before.

On arrival, the lad behind the bar directed us to park in the alleyway behind the pub. When we got up the following morning, we had been blocked in by two cars, both parked over dropped kerbs. By luck, one was signwritten, so I managed to trace them and get them to move. There is a car park across the other side of the road, which is free though.

There is no chance of breakfast. The pub advertised an available 'full english'. The pub was locked from the inside, and no one stirred until gone 9.30am, which is a bit late for us going out exploring for the day.

The pub has quite a good location. There are a few local places to eat (We didn't risk eating in the pub, apparently you can upstairs) Kendal itself is a bit far out if you want to check out lakes/fell walks etc.

This hotel/nightclub/bar, is cheap, but not cheap enough for the filthy conditions and lack of sleep. I was glad to get my money back.

Overall, I would not return. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they were deaf, had no sense of smell or fear, and didn't mind sleeping on a really bad bed. Poor service, poor facilities, very, very, very noisy.

Room Tip: Choose one in a different hotel, not a bar with some lodgings.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Blackpool, Lancashire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Can't think of a good thing to say about this place. We stayed on a Saturday night. It was gone midnight when we arrived back. The music just got louder and louder and went on till well gone 3 am. The door from the bar was not secure and I ran into drunken people when I went to the loo. It was awful. The bed was lumpy and only one skinny pillow. The top half of the wardrobe had disappeared. We thought the room being warm was a good thing but not when the heating was on all night!!!!!!!!!! window wouldn't open either and we couldn't turn the radiator off. Couldn't wait to get out in the morning.

Unless you are going to stay in the bar until the death JUST DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sutton Coldfield, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

So I booked accomodation for The Kendall Mountain Festival a little late, that's my fault. But I didn't deserve this:

- £50 a night for pokey little room with shared toilet and shower (cold). And no breakfast.
- Locked in (had to use a fire escape) and out (if the cleaner hadn't been in) during the day
- Loud (really loud) music from the bar until 2am the first night and (apparently) 3am the second

After no sleep at all the first night I gave up and drove 150 miles home. I'd rather sleep under canvas or in my car than this dump.

AVOID AVOID AVOID!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else or camp.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dun Horse? Share your experiences!