“Just what Kendal needed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 110 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Just what Kendal needed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I'm not one for writing reviews but have been encouraged to by my better half. We often visit Romney's for a quiet drink or a bite to eat. We came as a family group of 8 on a Sunday. They were very busy but we got a table after about 10 mins. The place is lovely as are the staff and the food. Romney's is just what Kendal needed a friendly well run local with great food at sensible prices. We'll done all, keep up the good work :)

northampton
“Terrible coffee!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very good carvery with a great selection of vegetables and huge Yorkshires! Good choice of meats- Turkey, gammon, pork, beef and lamb.
Limited choice of deserts, but the sticky toffee pudding was lovely. Knickerbocker Glory was a little disappointing.
We wanted cappuccinos, but they weren't available, so we had ordinary coffee. It was awful! We sent it back and it was replaced, but the replacement wasn't great either- like thick mud in a cup. We went away remembering only the bad coffee, which is a shame as the meal was good.

Visited November 2013
Scotland
“Great meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We all had the crayfish starter as we'd never tried crayfish before, which we really enjoyed. Then my husband had fish and chips (£9.50), said the batter was great. I had the glazed ham (£7.25), I usually avoid ham because it's usually dry, but this was lovely and moist. And my son had the Burger (£9.95) which he really enjoyed. We were then stuffed so no-one had any puds.
There was a super looking children's play area outside the restaurant, I'm sure children would love it. A lot of money has been spent on the whole building, including the self catering accommodation, where we had a great night's stay.

Visited October 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We rented one of the apartments for the night and we advised romneys we would be late , they reserved a table for us in the restaurant, the food was really nice and the service was very good, the staff were really friendly.

The decor has been done really well, it's also a perfect place for a drink as the bar area is lovely, we will be going back if we are in the area again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Local Resident Perspective”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

As a local I call in for a drink from time to time. Since Alan & Carol left in 2001 the place had a chequered history and went into a steady decline. It was very close to becoming extinct. So if anyone had told me it would become the thriving venue it is today I would have laughed at them. It all goes to show what someone with vision can achieve.
The play area is amazing. So is the interior transformation.
It has a great range of drinks at reasonable prices. Including Real Ales which are always in good condition.
The Carvery I would recommend. It has always been excellent. Two points though: why does it stop at 6.30pm? Why not serve it till 8 or 9pm? Secondly: why is there never any lamb? Gammon and pork I don't eat so I am restricted to turkey and beef.
The menu apart from the Carvery is too narrow and limited. Nowhere near enough Vegetarian options.
The service is variable. Nobody seems to be responsible for the bar at times and it can take an eternity to get a drink while staff seem to have other priorities. Please sort this problem out Romneys.
Most staff are professional and welcoming apart from one who is a misery, makes no eye contact and seems to be in the wrong job. I hope she finds another one soon.
One criticism I would make is that if you are just in for a pint you can be made to feel unwelcome at times. 4 of us were at a table one night and this man asked if we were eating. When we said we weren't he said he might need the table. We just looked at him. What about US needing it? Five minutes later he returned with a small chalkboard with a time on it and placed it on our table. Less than five minutes later we left - totally disgusted at all the unnecessary fuss he had made.
Romneys please treat ALL your customers equally or you will lose them.
So there is still room for improvement but keep up the good work!