“Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riverside Hotel

You added Riverside Hotel to your Saves list
Riverside Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beezon Road | Stramongate Bridge, Kendal LA9 6EL, England   |
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Kendal
Scotland
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Stayed there for a night while traveling home from Holiday. The hotel is generally quite dated. The room we stayed in had been updated but it was not finished to a high standard. I would not have been surprised if they had painted around the pictures. Breakfast was included in the room rate but it was nothing to write home about.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
newbybridge, Assistant to the Director at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
I am really very sorry that you found our hotel ‘average’, I must say I am genuinely surprised about the comments about your room, we have ensured that all the bedrooms have been refurbished to an extremely high standard, and we do often get comments to that affect. I am also surprised with your comments about breakfast, we are three star hotel offering high quality rooms and service at three star rates but our breakfasts are four star standard, they include a wide variety of choices to cater for everyone’s taste – but I will pass your comments onto our chefs as we know there is always improvements to be made.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

Stopped at this hotel for 2 nights weekend of 26th June, We booked for dinner, bed and breakfast, fcouldnt fault anything, rooms were beautifully clean, food was far better than expected, staff couldnt do enough for us, overall a wonderful weekend, thank you all

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
newbybridge, Assistant to the Director at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Thank you for your great review. I have passed it on to each department and the housekeeping team are particularly pleased with your comments. We hope that you will come and stay with us again soon.
warrington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Me and my husband had a most enjoyable stay on our wedding anniversary unfortunately it was tainted by the lack of sleep due to the position of the room ,we were right next to the lift motor which started at @ 5.30 am together with the noisy welsh crowd next door who along with their friends thought it was a good idea to hold loud chats in the corridor. I had called the hotel when I made the booking to ask for a room with a big window on the 4th floor if possible as it was for a special occasion however I got a room on the 1st floor right next to the lift motor and all the elderly guests who rise very early for conferences held outside my bedroom door.!
It was such a shame as apart from that the hotel is lovely in a good position and the staff were very friendly, I would be reluctant to stay here again in case I got the same room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
I am really sorry that your stay was tainted by our other guests, please let me assure you that noise is a very rare occurrence at the hotel, one of the comments we receive regularly is how quiet the hotel is as the rooms are away from the road. The noisey group in question was part of a coach trip and we have already spoken to the coach company about their noise levels. If you do decide to book again please let us know about the problems you experienced last time and we will make every effort to show you what a great (and quiet) hotel we can be.
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Stayed at Riverside for 2 nights last weekend. Could not fault this hotel for anything.
Very clean rooms, look brand new almost , helpful staff , good location with rooms overlooking the river, nice pool and jacuzzi and to top it off the food was fab. Booked for the evening meal both nights, three courses, food was great, three courses, quick, hot and would easily pay top price in a restaurant for . Easy to get to and free undercover parking . All in all .....had a great time and would definately stay there again. Thanks to the staff and management

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
newbybridge, Assistant to the Director at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2010
Thank you very much for this wonderful and glowing review our hotel, we really appreciate you taking the time to recommend the Riverside Hotel to other holiday makers. I have passed you review and your thanks onto all the staff, and we all look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.
redditch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

what a lovely comfy spotless clean hotel top class cleaners rececption staff helpful could nt get evening bar meal there was a wedding on might have been that a little noisy around 1am but i think we were next to wedding party room 408 my son and wife had roo m 103 apart from a very obvious smell of cigarettes on the corridor there room was fine as well all in all excellent value as we have about six mini breaks a year we stop in hotels all the while and this one was the cleanest and the idea of hot buffet breakfast fantastic

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
newbybridge, Assistant to the Director at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel, we are very sorry that you were disturbed by the wedding we do always ask our wedding guests to try and respect other guests and keep noise to a minimum on returning to their room. We hope that you think of us again on your next visit to the Lake District and have a chance to sample our delicious bar food.
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stayed two nights for our wedding anniversary. A throughly lovely relaxing stay, the food both evening meal and breakfast were excellent. Our room was on the 3rd floor and unfortunately the lift was out of order, but a lovely guy carried our bags up to the room and back again on departure. We had a lovely large clean room and although the hotel was busy we werent disturbed by any noise. The staff were pleasant and efficient. I would recommend this Hotel and will certainly be returning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Cheshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

We wanted to go away for a few nights for our wedding annivesary, and liked the look of this hotel - but when we tried to book it using the various hotel booking sites it showed no availability - and by chance I went on to the hotel's website which showed there was availability and we got a really good rate for two nights half board and one night b and b.

The hotel has a covered car park (free for guests) and we were met by a cheery receptionist and were told we were on the 4th (refurbished) floor, but unfortunately the lift was broken but would be fixed by tomorrow. We huffed and puffed up four flights of stairs - but the room was lovely - has ample size flat screen tv on the wall, ironing board and iron, tea and coffee, toiletries, hairdryer, and we had a king size so excellent bed size and plenty of pillows which a lot of hotels don't manage to provide. There was also plenty of storage space. However . . . we know the Lake District doesn't have many heatwaves and we picked the right (or wrong!) weekend to go, but our heating was on full and the towel rail in the bathroom threw out enough heat to heat a small country! The window only opened a few inches and it was like a sauna in our room!

Anyway, broken lift and room like a sauna aside, we went down to dinner - and wow, what excellent excellent food - could not fault it, or the service, and could not praise it enough. Wonderful wonderful, and compliments to the chef and kitchen staff.

Breakfast was nice, we were welcomed and asked if we wanted tea, coffee, toast - and everything else was buffet. Cereals, juices, continental, pastries and cooked served buffet style. Oh how nice to serve ourselves so I could make a breakfast where bean juice doesn't mix with egg, and make sure there were no mushrooms on my plate without having to explain it all to someone serving me. Full points yet again to the kitchen staff.

Unfortunately the lift was not fixed the next day, (or the next or the one after that) and I suffer with MS and asthma and really struggled to go up and down four flights of stairs. I do not doubt for one moment that if we had asked to be moved the hotel would have found us a lower floored room, and if I had known the lift would not have been working for our whole stay I would certainly have asked when we first booked in, but each day we were told 'it will be fixed tomorrow' - I later found out (at checkout!) they were waiting for a new cable that had to be ordered.

We made use of the swimming pool and jacuzzi, not huge by any means but certainly adequate for the hotel and a nice bonus if you are staying there.

One of the comments I read on here moaned about dirty mugs and spoons in the bedroom - I checked ours on arrival - and ours were spotless, In fact the whole room was spotless - no complaints at all about that - but sadly on our second day the tea and milk weren't replenished so poor hubby had to go up and down four flights to request more - still, I am sure the exercise did him good after all the excellent food we were eating there. He had a similar trip when our room key did not work and needed to be reset - more exercise up and down the stairs!

We eventually asked if our bathroom heating could be turned off as we could not find a way to do it, and it was turned off thankfully. We also asked if we could borrow a fan which was eventually provided, and did make a lot of difference. If you are staying there while it is warm, it is worth requesting one to be in your room.

The bar is a nice relaxing place, with two rooms and a balcony outside overlooking the River Kent - with ducks and fishes to sit and watch. It serves some rather nice real ales (for you CAMRA members!) as well as all the usual drinks and a good selection of food. One minor complaint here, while we were there the barmaid often was not behind the bar, and one night I stood there for 15 minutes waiting to be served, then gave up and sat down without a drink! I wasn't alone either, at least two other people did the same. There is a rather pleasant pub a few minutes walk away called the Castle if you fancy a change.

From the hotel it is an easy stroll over the bridge into Kendal, and just a few minutes walk to the shops and market - and it goes without saying that you are fairly close to get to Windermere and other places. There was an open top bus going past regularly that I am sure goes up past Windermere.

Oh, just in case you had forgotten what I had said about the food being excellent - let me remind you - the food is excellent!! On our last night when we were only b and b, and could have eaten anywhere - we decided that nowhere local would be that good, so still ate at the hotel yet again!

Yes, I seem to have had one or two gripes - the lift not working (one of those things could happen anywhere), no tea and milk and an absent barmaid, and oppressive heat with the heating on full, oh and someone on our floor left their used room service plates outside our room where they stayed for over 24 hours till we mentioned it to reception, but please please don't let that put you off staying here. It is genuinely a really nice hotel where all the staff are pleasant and welcoming, the food, well you know what we thought of the food!, it is clean, has wonderful views from all the rooms, even lets dogs stay although we did not see any. We will certainly stay there again next time we are in that part of the world and hopefully that will be soon :)

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Wow! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thorough and detailed review! I am very sorry that your stay was not as perfect as it should be - I have taken steps to ensure that the few things that were not right have now been fixed, the lift is now in working order, the heating has been looked at by a plumber and the temperature adjusted for the summer and the bar maid is now chained to the bar! I have also passed on all your positive comments to each department who are all very grateful for the feedback – in particular the kitchen and restaurant staff. We hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to the lakes.

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!