“Warm, friendly and magical.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crosthwaite House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kendal
Crosthwaite House
You added Crosthwaite House to your Saves list
Crosthwaite, near Kendal, Kendal LA8 8BP, England   |
Ranked #11 of 42 Kendal B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Warm, friendly and magical.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I will say up front that Sam and Tiree are friends of mine however I take my family to stay with them every year. Despite them offering a friends discount I never take it as I see how hard they work. I love staying in bed and breakfasts and I can honestly say Cristhwaite is by far the best I have ever stayed in. Now obviously you will think it am biest so let me explain why- the warm friendly welcome, the large comfortable rooms, the home made biscuit (made by Tiree) on the pillow when you arrive, the free cakes and home made sweets when you come back in from a long walk with little Alice in Wonderland signs saying "eat me" the large log fire in the front room and the complementary damsel gin laid out every evening. The amazing breakfast with a special that changes every day. There is probably much more I could say.

I was very distressed to read the review of the customer who did not get there deposit back. The only thing that was right in his review was that they need the money. This is because in the 4 years they have run the guest house they have spent nearly all their money making the guests happy. You get so much more than just a bed and breakfast. I know from speaking to them that they are always fully booked and if they do get a cancellation on a room they have been holding it really costs them. With any seasonal business you have to make your money when you can. I think it was very unfair to write such a scathing review having never stayed there. Thankfully there are 75 other customers who have stayed there who have all rated excellent.

We can't wait until our next stay.

• Stayed March 2014
Crosthwaite_House, Manager at Crosthwaite House, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thanks so much for your kind words and support, we really appreciate it. We've really missed not having you here yet this year, hope you can make a trip up north to see us soon. Love Sam and Tiree xx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

In response to a recent negative review of Crosthwaite House.

Comments completely inappropriate. The reviewers did not even stay there.
Crosthwaite House is beautiful and I would recommend wholeheartedly
Come on TripAdvisor why are you allowing comments to be shared publicly when the reviewers have no experience of the place

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words and for leaving us a review, we really appreciate your support. Tiree and Sam x
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

My partner and I stayed at Crosthwaite House over a year ago and we haven't stopped thinking about going back to stay at this wonderful bed and breakfast since. The house is set in the most beautiful countryside and was easy to find after a long journey. You feel welcome from the moment you step through the door, from the tray bakes in the hallway, the welcome from the family, to the lovely rooms and attention to detail. You feel at home and apart of something special here. Our room was comfortable with a gorgeous view and the breakfasts were incredible, I've never stayed anywhere where the food has been so good.
Thank you for our stay, we can not wait to book up and come and stay again later in the year.
Rachael and Steve

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for leaving us a review following your stay last year, we really appreciate it and it's so nice to hear that you still have fond memories of your time here. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back to Crosthwaite House, we've got lots of new traybakes on the go! x
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Amazing. We stayed for two nights and Sam and Tiree were lovely hosts. Breakfast was amazing and I shall attempt the tomato recipe! Sam met us at the door, despite arriving at 11.45pm and was extremely friendly, welcoming and encouraging of our stay. We shall recommend Crosthwaite house to anyone and everyone and hope to visit again in the future!

• Stayed April 2014
Crosthwaite_House, Manager at Crosthwaite House, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thanks so much for leaving us such a nice review :) Good luck with the tomatoes - we make up a bottle of the dressing with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic and fresh rosemary and basil, then drizzle it over the halved tomatoes before baking them for an hour or so :) x
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed for two nights, as was attending a wedding nearby.

From the off this was a superb stay. Great location, about 15 mins drive from Bowness.

Everything about the stay was fantastic. The décor of the place is bright and air yet homely cosy vibe. There a lot of cool retro trinkets and ornaments dotted about. Gives the place a real charm and unique character. Plenty of sweets, biscuits and indeed Damson Gin were left around for guests to enjoy. There’s an ample selection of books magazines and dvds as well to borrow.

Breakfast was such good quality, great coffee, amazing home made granola and fruit cups and the full Cumbrian breakfast was first class.

The hosts are both very friendly and welcoming people which is absolutely crucial in a small hotel. Speaking from experience it can make or break a place! I get the impression that nothing is too much trouble for Sam. We had an extra guest who was stuck for somewhere to stay at short notice, so my room was converted from a king to a twin with no fuss whatsoever. Beds were comfy, radios and tvs in each room, teamaking facilities, massive white towels were great too.

I’ll definitely be recommending Crossthwaite House to friends and family and hope to return at some point myself. Really can’t stress enough how much I liked the place and enjoyed my stay.

Absolutely brilliant.

Room Tip: Had room 5. Lovely room but doesn't have a view of the valley. Didn't bother me too much.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks so much for leaving us such a glowing review :) We're really pleased you enjoyed your weekend at Crosthwaite House, hope to see you again! Tiree and Sam xx
Painswick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stopped here on our way to the Highlands following reviews and were very impressed. Our family of five had a lovely welcome to this big & airy house and all three rooms had great views over the fields to the front. Rooms are well appointed, comfortable, clean, with individual quirky vintage elements and great en suite facilities. We went to the nearby Punch Bowl for dinner (see sep review) which is just a few minutes walk way (torch provided by front door if needed), Breakfast was fantastic with excellent choice and something for everyone - all beautifully presented in a lovely dining room over looking the fields and hills in front. At just a few minute off the M6 this was perfect for us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Crosthwaite_House, Manager at Crosthwaite House, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We're so pleased you all enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you had a great time in the Highlands! Best wishes and thanks again, Tiree and Sam x
Ilkley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Having stayed in many B&Bs I would like to say how delightful a place Crosthwaite Guest House is. It is friendly and relaxed, I had a cosy single room with a view and the most imaginative and beautifully presented and served breakfasts I can remember, rivalling any top 5* establishment's food. All in a lovely peaceful south Lakeland setting.

Don't tell too many people, I want to be able to go back.

Room Tip: Any that I had sight of. I had the only single room, south facing. All are quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for leaving us a review. We're all glowing with pride at you giving our breakfasts 5 stars :) made our day! Really glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again. Sam and Tiree x

Been to Crosthwaite House? Share your experiences!