“Wonderful way to spend your 32 nd wedding anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 110 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Wonderful way to spend your 32 nd wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We dined at the Castle dairy last evening following a positive report from the owners of the bed and breakfast, where we were staying in nearby Bowness on Windermere. The reception and menu was amazing. It is definitely a place to dine. It's an absolute must. Michelin star service without the Michelin star price. Our waiter was called Jordan who gave us excellent service. Sincere thanks for the complimentary champagne and canopies which really helped to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary.

Kendal, United Kingdom
“This place deserves it's first place in Kendal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had the most wonderful meal last night at Castle Dairy. Everything from start to finish was faultless - Adam our waiter was spot on, the food was fabulous - from the delightful and unexpected aperitifs to the petit fours at the end - it was fantastic. Surroundings were lovely too, cosy with the fire going, and the history of the place adds to it's charm. Will definitely return many times.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carnforth
“Exceptional lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch on Friday 8 February and would highly recommend, after a slightly odd first impression (nervous waiter?) we had a really great lunch.

There were two menus to choose from, a la carte or bar menu, and you could mix and match from them no problem and we were offered some superb elderflower sourdough bread after ordering.

I stuck to the a la carte and had cauliflower risotto to start, pheasant (lots of different pheasanty elements including a delicious tortellini filled with leg meat) as my main and a pear and walnut tart with salted caramel ice cream to finish.

Wife had ham hock terrine to start followed by warm roast pork and stuffing ciabatta from the bar menu and spiced rice pudding with glazed pineapple, rum and coconut espuma and pineapple sorbet to finish.

There was a decent selection of drinks although the bottled real ales were a bit pricey at £6!

Overall a great lunch, really could not fault the food in any way, and will be back, sooner than later hopefully!

Bedford, United Kingdom
“Bless the service standard. The food saved the day!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Typically when I spend more money than usual on dining out I expect a certain experience - as I'm sure we all do. The Castle Dairy today was good, but it could be spectacular if it wasn't for a few points.

We attended today and I would give the food 10/10 in a second but the service delivered was pretty poor and just to be honest... flat.
There was no flare or real interest in the waiting job that the waiters were doing. A number of times plates were slammed down on cutlery and near toppling over glasses. The waiter forgot to offer us bread until after we'd finished our main course which by then we were asking for the bill. To begin with we were the only people in there, yet the effort to provide us with a good service failed. The second waiter upon meeting other guests informed them of some of the history of the beautiful place which we had to eavesdrop into. I suppose you could say that we should have asked, but I think this place should let people know the history when they come in it adds to the character.

The interior and building was stunning - there wasn't a surface or wall in the place that wasn't on the "wonk". However the ambience and atmosphere was a little like a sparkler in a bucket and we didn't really feel like we could relax. I really think with some training and enthusiasm from the waiting staff this place could be even better. I feel awful to say it, but I wouldn't come back here solely on the fact of the service.

The food was delicious, simply perfection. The price of this place compared to the London restaurants we've been to is second to none. The value for money was superb. Compliments to the chef/chefs you were worth every penny!

The toilets are upstairs and badly sign posted but nothing to complain about there. (I always like to let people know the accessibility to these things!)

Overall - I think it sums up the place when we left to go elsewhere for pudding! I still tipped though - I'm no monster :P

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paul G, Public Relations Manager at Castle Dairy, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your experience at the Castle Dairy Restaurant. We've sat with the restaurant team, gone through each of your points in detail, and we hope that we have now gone some way to addressing each point.

The Castle Dairy Restaurant is the oldest building in Kendal, but we have been open for business for just over a year and value any constructive feedback that helps us grow and develop our business.
Lake District UK
“Fine dining at its very best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We dined here in celebration of my 70th birthday and had a wonderful evening.
The excellent food was beautifully cooked and presented, and had something to please every ones taste buds. Congratulations to the chef and kitchen staff for producing such fine food.
I have not enjoyed a meal such as this, in a very long time. There were so many different tastes, that had been creatively put together.
They were served by an efficient and very friendly young staff who were a credit to their tutors.
The atmosphere at the Castle Diary was wonderful with some lovely old antique furniture gracing the establishment.
Certainly a jewel in the crown of Kendal, and one not to be missed by anyone that likes wonderful food of the very best quality.
We shall be sure to return soon.....after all, I want to try out the lunch menu!

• Visited January 2013