“Exceptional Restaurant!! Worth Travelling For! Exceptional Staff, Too!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Green Hotel In Kendal

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Green Hotel In Kendal to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Green Hotel In Kendal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Green Lane, Kendal LA9 6RG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Kendal
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Exceptional Restaurant!! Worth Travelling For! Exceptional Staff, Too!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I were knocked out by absolutely every facet of our recent one-night stay at the Castle Green Hotel.

From the first greeting by the Receptionist - who was probably the best Receptionist I've ever encountered, she made us feel so welcome and relaxed and taken care of - to the Restaurant and its staff (more of which below), to the ease of checking-in and checking-out, and finding our room, and the value for money, location, cleanliness, facilities...it was wonderful.

RESTAURANT/FOOD
OK, I'm going to have to start with this first, as it was brilliant!!!!
I didn't really pick this up from TripAdvisor beforehand, but it is very important to state that: THE FOOD IS SUBLIME, AND - IN MY OPINION, AS A FOODIE - IT IS BETTER THAN GORDON RAMSAY AT CLARIDGE'S.
There were three menus, from which you could interchange, and so dip in and out of a set menu at a very reasonable price (£22.50 for two courses, £28.50 for three) or the a la Carte, or the Cumberland Taster Menu. I chose the lamb as a main dish, and it was WONDERFUL. There were four types of lamb on the plate, which was decorative and a sight to behold...but more importantly, backed up by immense flavour and succulence. I could rave about this for hours, but suffice to say, I was bowled over by how wonderful it was.

Dessert was even more impressive...chocolate fondant, but unlike any other fondant I've ever tasted. It inexplicably melted away on the tongue and yet was still a sponge, with a divine crustiness to the outer shell and what must have been a Belgian chocolate interior. There was the most special item I've ever encountered sitting on the homemade vanilla ice-cream - an orange crisp - which was the most microtomed section of orange imaginable, and which packed a punch and yet was light and delicious. It was absolutely unctious and I so wish I lived nearer...it would be the hotel I would choose for ALL our celebrations and special treats!!

VIEWING WINDOW IN THE RESTAURANT
I liked the viewing window concept. From the restaurant you could see the chefs preparing food in a very clean environment, with a good view of The Pass and dishes being prepared.

WINE LIST
Good, and excellent pricing.

SERVICE
Everyone in the restaurant really interacted with the customers and really CARED about the customers and the quality of the food they were serving. I should imagine their job is a real delight, given that the food is out of this world, and such good value for money. Everyone was upbeat, positive and friendly with a smile and a nice word with the customers.

ROOMS
Compact but with sufficient space to move around comfortably, and with an excellent view over the gardens. I would say possibly thinner walls than I expected though I didn't wake up during the night. Really powerful showers, and well-lit bathroom. Good storage space. Very comfortable bed. I slept like a log!! A highly positive experience.

RECEPTION
As I've already said, the Receptionists who checked us in and out were friendly, helpful and professional, but somehow made us feel more welcome and looked after than I've ever felt. I think SINCERITY is the word I'm looking for! We had just driven down from dropping our daughter at University, and the Receptionist had a chat about it and immediately made us both feel relaxed at having arrived at our destination, and understood that we were feeling jaded and slightly traumatised. It made a big difference.

GROUNDS / LOCATION
Lovely - so peaceful, lovely eating breakfast overlooking the valley into Kendal, and from a good vantage point. Good location, not far into the town and in a pleasant part of the area.

PRICE / VALUE FOR MONEY
So good! I found an offer for a room with a pull-out bed for £117, and we didn't actually need the additional bed, so I cancelled this aspect, but knew that the £17/18 was now an overcharge. The Hotel make the payment a down-payment, so the bill is readjusted and you just have a balance to pay from dining, etcetera. I only paid £62 extra, which took into account the meals we ate, and it was exceptional value for money for dinner bed and breakfast.

They were one of the only hotels who actually catered to three adults staying in one room (our daughter would have been the third adult) - it was so hard to find any hotels with a search for a room large enough to take three, and this hotel had THREE choices of accommodation for three people: a pull-out bed, a family room or an executive room. I think that is pretty unique, and they were all reasonably priced too. So it gets a plus from me for this aspect of its adaptability and catering to larger parties on a budget.

LEISURE FACILITIES
We could see the gym through the window and it looked very clean. We didn't unfortunately get to swim due to timing constraints.

WOULD WE RETURN?
Absolutely yes, I can't speak highly enough of this Hotel. I had one or two negative experiences quite a few years ago with Best Western hotels and so had been avoiding them purposely. With the ratings and reviews on TripAdvisor I was prepared to try this Best Western, and I have to say that it outperforms practically every other hotel I have stayed in, in terms of quality of food and service by every member of staff we encountered. Sure, there are hotels who have slightly more modern or even traditional interiors, but the experience of the stay was what made the difference for us. I can't wait to go back and eat the duck this time!!

Room Tip: All the rooms along the front of the Hotel overlook the grounds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ben M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
What an amazing review! We rely heavily on word of mouth so would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience.

Ben Mayou

Ps. The Greenhouse Restaurant has recently set up its own Trip Advisor page with the aim of getting to No 1 restaurant in Kendal. This shouldn’t take long if we can get some reviews of this nature!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
East Kilbride, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at the castle green. What we wanted was to relax away from the stress of life recently and that's just what we got here. We were greeted with a smile at reception, really friendly. The room was a little small, more narrow than anything but we did have a lovely balcony and once we were in the room for a while we found it nice 'n' cosy. Breakfast is delicious, couldn't want for anything better and we had a wonderful dinner at the hotel restaurant. The dark chocolate tart was out of this world! The pub on site is also lovely, really homely and the meals there are delicious. Heartily recommend this hotel.
We arrived when the torchlight carnival was on and the walk to Kendal high street from the hotel is easy, not too long and takes you down either through the park or over the river. Also managed to see the Tour of Britain cyclists so lots happening in this little bustling town.

Room Tip: The garden facing rooms are a little quieter I think as the train line runs along the back of the ho...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
It was great to read that you enjoyed the various elements of your three day stay with us. There is always something going on in Kendal!

Our balcony rooms have just been refurbished and offer fantastic views over the gardens towards the Castle and you receive bath robes, slippers, enhanced toiletries and tea tray. You can get all this for an upgrade of only £30 per night!!

These and all our rooms can be booked online via the hotel website. If you book your room in this way you will also receive our loyalty card which rewards you with 10% off food in the Greenhouse Restaurant or Alexanders Pub.

Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

had a relaxing three night break at the Castle Green, the hotel was busy with a wedding and a masonic event but the staff were all smiling, helpful and went out of their way to make you feel that only you mattered. The food in the restaurant is superb and if you want a really decadent sweet try the hot chocolate fondant with oranges, marmalade ice cream and a slice of crisp orange - oh it's gorgeous. Breakfast is buffet style but there were certain items you could order. The room and the bathroom were spotless, however no face cloth supplied. The function suites appear to be away from the hotel so you weren't bothered with noise.
The gym and spa are on the ground floor, there is a lift - gym is not all that well set out as you had to use two rooms to use all the equipment and not all the cardiac equipment was in the same room, also you had to walk through and over equipment and people to get to the treatment room, however the treatment was good, had the pamper package.
The only downside and it is a small one is that the lounge and reception area are all one and there is nowhere quiet to sit and relax.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review

We are fortunate to be a very busy hotel but as you have experienced we do manage to look after the varying needs of all our guests whether they be looking for a few relaxing days away or attending a conference or function.

I would agree regarding the chocolate fondant, it’s a personal favourite ;-)

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Me and my husband had a great stay at this hotel we were welcomed with a friendly smile from the moment we arrived the room was very clean and spacious.The walk down to Kendal town centre is a lovely walk . We ate at the on site pub which was very nice.The breakfast was very good you don't have to have the buffet you also can order off the breakfast menu.We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to any one .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Another very positive experience at Castle Green!

We look forward to seeing you next time

Ps. Alexanders Pub has its own Trip Advisor page
Peterhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a really enjoyable two night weekend break using the Castle Green as a base for a Lakeland Driving day. Great location, brilliant food, comfy room, immaculately clean and tidy. First class helpful staff!! Thoroughly recommended.
The breakfast is superb with nothing but the best available, we also ate in the attached pub and thoroughly enjoyed the honest, simple fare in here, pure quality and also great guest real ale to wash it all down with!
The only very minor gripes would be the hike up and down the hill to car park and no bath, only a shower in the en-suite! Minor inconveniences

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your very positive review.

We do have many rooms which have baths so please do mention to the reception team your preference when making your reservation.

Ben Mayou

Ps. Rest assured you will always get the best deals by booking directly with us at the hotel by telephone or via the hotel website.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a short stay at Castle Green for our anniversary and were not disappointed at all. The grounds were lovely, staff at reception were quick and friendly and our room was clean, well appointed, with a flat screen tv and a very comfy bed. We decided to have our evening meal at Alexanders pub and again were not disapponted as it was quickly served by friendly smiling staff and was tasty and well cooked. Would have no hesitation in both recommending and staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013
A fantastic review, thank you for sharing your experience!

We hope to see you again soon

Bowness-on-Windermere, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Lovely large room but at the back of the hotel which meant our outlook was over what appeared to be service units. Could not open the windows on a hot night due to the noise from these units. However this did not spoil our stay. Breakfast was wonderful. Best wedding I have ever been to.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review.

We pride ourselves on offering a memorable wedding celebration for all. Here at Castle Green the team have years of experience in hosting weddings and we have a fantastic setting with 12 acres of grounds for the perfect back drop!

Ben Mayou

Ps. Make sure you request a garden view room for your next stay!!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Green Hotel In Kendal? Share your experiences!