“Perfect couple of days stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake
M6 Moto services | Roadchef Motorway Scv Area, Kendal LA8 0NW , England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 17 hotels in Kendal
“Perfect couple of days stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Booked 2 nights stay just as the snow arrived. The view from our room was amazing and we found the hotel to be a great location to visit different areas of The Lakes. The room was very clean and lovely and warm as it was so cold outside! The lady on reception was more than helpful. She advised us to purchase vouchers from the hotel to use at the resturant next door so our meals worked out a little cheaper. We got a good deal on the room and would definately return again come snow, rain or sun.

• Stayed January 2013
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We seem to have had quite a lot of snow this year, I do hope it didn't cause you too many problems! We are a handy base for visiting both the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales and one of the advantages of our special offer rooms is that you can book an extra night or two to thoroughly explore the area! Do keep an eye on our website for our best offers.

I'm delighted you found the room clean and warm, we try to keep the rooms cosy for guests arriving when it's as cold as it has been, and I'm thrilled you found the receptionist helpful and friendly. Our vouchers for using in the Roadchef Restaurant are good value and I'm pleased you were able to take advantage of them.

Thank you again for your review - and I hope that you have sunshine on your next visit to us!

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised - after all this is a budget hotel at a motorway services. I needed a couple of nights on speck in the area and hotels were few and far between coming close to New Years Eve so I booked a couple of nights here for £32 per night on a Saturday and Sunday.

Everything was clean and bright, unlike some of the other budget hotels I've tried in the past and the attitude from Reception was just simply amazing - they couldn't have been more welcoming. My room had clearly just been painted (they should have removed the light shades and covered the furniture to stop the paint speckles though!).

There are tea and coffee making facilities, free Wi-Fi, flat screen TV, not much in the way of toiletries but this is a budget hotel - bring your own!

The view of the lake from the rooms at the back is stunning, considering it is slap bang at the motorway services.

No restaurant, of course, but there's the services next door including a 24 hours Costa Coffee (useful!), a burger bar, a small motorway standard 'restaurant' and a WHSmith.

If you go with expectations of a dingy, unfriendly standard budget hotel you will be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back with the stunning lake view - a nice sight to wake up to.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you were so happy with your stay.

I can only apologise for the paint speckles on the light shades. I have made sure Housekeeping deal with this immediately. We are currently using our quiet season to refresh as many of the rooms as we can.

We do offer complimentary hand wash and shower gel in all of our rooms, but many people do prefer to bring their own from home.

We are very lucky in our location. The view over the lake is stunning, and we are very close to both the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales. Many people also find us being on a motorway service area useful - as you note, we have a Costa Coffee and WHSmith which are both open 24 hours, and you can get on and off the site - both north and southbound, with ease.

Most, but not all of our rooms overlook the Lake. We would ask that if you would like to be allocated a room with a view you contact the hotel directly as this is the only way of ensuring this.

I'm delighted you received such a warm welcome. I will make sure the team member on duty sees your lovely feedback.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Distracted by a £25 room deal that we feared may be too good to true for a family of four including baby and toddler and a Yorkshire terrier dog. Days inn are dog friendly and the terrier found a nice nest under the desk. He also relished walks with grand views of the lake. This hotel has family rooms that includes separate annex with twin single beds for the girls with a cot provided for baby. The girls loves their den. Room was clean, practical, comfortable, warm, importantly quiet. we will return again

• Stayed December 2012
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and delighted that you will use us in the future. The large family room you were allocated is ideal for a family, however we only have 2 of these family "suites", so we do ask that you contact the hotel directly by phone to request one. This is the only way of guaranteeing we allocate you one of these rooms. We love being able to accept dogs, especially ones as well behaved as yours, and we hope you found the £10 per dog charge reasonable. The beautiful lake and grassy areas around the hotel are ideal for quick runs or longer dog walks.

Thank you again for your lovely review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We booked this for an overnight stop on a longer journey and as we’d always wanted to spend longer nearer Killington Lake and its view.
The evening receptionist was very friendly and helpful, though it would have been useful to know how to access the free Wi-Fi before getting into our room, and having to go back along the long corridor and upstairs to be given the information.
We were allocated a quiet room with lake view as we had requested, but, having arrived late, the longish walk back to Reception put us off going as we sequentially discovered things missing in the room.
There appeard to be few guests staying.
Parking was stated as being free on the internet booking, but we noticed next day in the car park that fees should have been paid for staying more than 2 hours....Luckily we were not fined.
As others have written, the place had a tired feeling, and housekeeping in our room lax. The sofa bed fabric was very faded from daylight. As this had been a Premier Inn and given some reviews about large beds, mistakenly we had expected the bed to be bigger and firmer but it was a standard size and soft and wobbly, leading to a poor night’s sleep. Toilet paper was of poor quality and rather minimal in quantity. Both gel dispensers were empty and a Carex hand wash was available in a bottle designed presumably for a dispenser as it was difficult to use on its own, and it was far too harsh to use as shower and shampoo gel. Luckily we had brought our own shampoo and used it also for our shower wash. The bath tap had a small leak. The TV had the 5 main channels but the remote control only worked when standing to the right of the TV! The complimentary drinks tray did have Fairtrade sugar (well done) but only tea, no coffee.
The view next morning was lovely even under lowering wet skies, and we enjoyed it especially over breakfast next door in the service area.
We gave this average for the helpful receptionist and the view, but otherwise might have opted for poor.

Room Tip: Downstairs is probabaly quieter. Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you were disappointed with your visit. We always try to allocate guests' who request a quiet room a room at the end of a corridor, even when we aren't busy, to ensure they have the peace and quiet they have asked for. I'm sorry if you found it a long walk back to Reception.

I will certainly speak to Housekeeping about the issues you have mentioned. All of our televisions offer the major Freeview channels, rather than just the 5 you mentioned.

I can only apologise if you found the wi-fi complicated, I will certainly look at putting information in the rooms on how to connect. As our wi-fi doesn't require a password, the registration page just pops up when you connect to the network, we haven't felt it necessary up until now.

Unfortunately, due to the layout of our rooms which were built prior to us becoming a Premier Inn and then a Days Inn, we don't have the space for a king size bed, just a normal double bed, or two singles if you book one of our twin rooms.

I am pleased you found the staff helpful and the view beautiful.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We love days inn as great places to stop at when travelling between the south and Scotland. This one is in a nice spot, very friendly and competent staff but is getting a little run done especially the bathrooms. However for the rates you pay (we paid £39 pounds per night) I cant complain. The rooms aren't un clean just tired.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry you found the hotel to be tired. We are currently in the process of freshening up our rooms over our quieter Winter season. I'm delighted you booked one of our special offer rooms at £39 per night. Please do keep an eye on our website for future offers. Thank you again for your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.
preston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Nothing to look at and basic rooms, but the beds are very comfortable, the hotel was very clean, and the lady on reception was extremely friendly and helpful. Plus our room had the most beautiful view of the lake, which was lovely to see in the morning. I would definitely stay here again, especially for the price we paid of £29. (It takes about twenty minutes to get into Kendal town centre. )
An important thing to mention is that following directions on a sat-nav will take you to a farmhouse in the back of beyond. We told the lady at reception and she told us that everyone`s sat-nav does that. Just come off the motorway at Killington Lake Services, it`s right next to it.

Room Tip: Apparently all rooms have the lovely view.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. I'm particularly pleased you found the hotel clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Unfortunately not all of our rooms have a view of the lake, although the majority do. If you would prefer a room with a lake view, we do ask that you ring the hotel directly and request one - this is the only way of ensuring we allocate you the correct room. I'm sorry you had problems finding us. As our location is so rural, our postcode covers several square miles and most SatNav devices take drivers to the middle of the postcode which, unfortunately, is on the other side of the lake. We do try to make this clear on all of the websites we advertise on, I can only apologise if you were not made aware of this. I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of one of our special offer rates - do keep an eye on our website as we often have deals available. Thank you once again for your review and I do hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.
Chislehurst, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

With some trepidation I booked this, mainly because it was one of the few places on the motorway that would allow dogs. (A miniature well-behaved schnauzer). My father put the wind up me when he said that as I was northbound it would take ages from the junction above the hotel to get back to the venue itself. Nonsense! I came off at 37 and almost immediately was pulling into the car park. It was 11.30 pm and the girl on reception could not have been more welcoming. It was the first night we'd had snow in the UK this year, so was biterly cold outside, but toasty inside. I was given a room downstairs for £29. It was warm, clean with a comfy bed a very capable shower and hairdryer. There was also tea and coffee faciltities, with a limited freeview tv (but more than adequate). My bed was enourmous with an extra large sofa bed if required - the dog sat on the corner before heading for the floor. I was offered a deal on pre-paid breakfast, but unfortunately they do not take dogs, so could not sample that. I did grab a croissant and coffee at the garage opposite. The facilties inside the service centre appeared good, and breakfast would have been taken within the hotel part for £7.00 (cooked breakfast). All in all, I was delighted and the view in the morning over the lake was awesome. I will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Downstairs if you can get it and overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. i'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. We are more than happy to welcome pets, but we do ask that you call and let us know in advance that pets are coming so we can ensure we allocate the correct room. There is a small charge per pet of £10. I'm so pleased you found the team friendly. We work hard to offer a warm welcome - both service and room temperature!

I do hope we can welcome you and your dog back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon, and thank you again for your review.

Been to Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake? Share your experiences!