“Nice Hotel - Friendly Staff” 3 of 5 stars

County Hotel
Station Rd, Kendal LA9 6BT, England   |
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Kendal
Leeds
“Nice Hotel - Friendly Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My friends and I wanted to stay in Kendal for an overnight stay, and this hotel looked pretty central (its opposite Kendal Train Station). From the outside it looks absolutley beautiful - a fantastic display of baskets and planters. Inside it didnt live up to the image. Its an older hotel that needs a lot of money investing in it by the chain that owns it to bring it back to life. the decor is dated and desperately needs attention. The lady on Reception was very friendly. Within 10 minutes of checking in there was a problem. The door knob on the room door totally came off - with chunks of the wood attached! Obviously rotten. They got a maintenance man there very quickly and by the time I returned from a short walk it was fixed. But when i went out or dinner that night it took me ten minutes to try and lock the door! I didnt feel particularly happy leaving the room with my luggage inside!

The room itself: Well it was extremley basic and clean. There were little touches there i appreciated: a nice sized tea and coffee tray with a teapot. Hairdryer in the drawer. One wall looked like it had been wallpapered recently but whoever did it, did a TERRIBLE job. The paper was all bubbled. The curtains were hanging off the hooks, bedbase and mattress were very old and uncomfortable - and the pillows lacked any form of pillow or support! Amazingly the television looked new and worked very well.

The Hotel has entertainment most nights so in the heat (having a window open) people were standing outside the entrance to the hotel and smoking/ chatting loudly. But then again how often do we get a heatwave!

This hotel attracts a clientele of the elderly on coach trips or contractors it seems. So bear this in mind if you want that style of hotel. There were no singles when we booked, so instead of £45 they ave the three of us double rooms at a lower rate but we paid £60. That I feel was far too much - and given the disasters i personally encountered felt the staff should have automatically offered a partial refund to me.

We requested an early breakfast and they were happy to oblige, It was nice enough - nothing to write home about - basic food.

The staff I encountered were polite and cheerful - obviously it would be nice if the head office of this hotel were to read this review - and PLEASE invest money into this hotel. It lets you down. Your staff work hard but the customer feels flat after their stay. Also there is NO Parking. A few spaces outside or in the station car park opposite. The part of the town the hotel is situated in is quiet but not that attractive to the eye. Few nice shops, and about a 10-15 minute steady walk into Kendal Town Centre

Kendal is billed as the 'gateway to the Lakes' but this Hotel just felt like the back door to it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was naturally most disappointed to learn that you had an unsatisfactory stay and certain aspects of the hotel failed to meet with your expectations and I would like to begin by saying that we do take all feedback seriously. Kevin, the General Manager, shares my disappointment and has asked me to pass their apologies on to you.

We do believe that we offer value for money compared with other hotels in the area, however, we know that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel. We have an ongoing maintenance programme for this and are always looking at aspects which could be tackled in the short term and have certainly taken your comments on board to aid this process.

Thank you once again for your review and please be assured that your comments have been taken on board.

With Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My better half stayed here for a few days while I went walking and I joined her on the last night. Accommodation is basic but clean and the staff are very friendly, especially if you ride a bike, ref. the earlier comment, our bike was also stored securely away in the garage.
So if you want some place to stop over before hitting the lakes proper, food also very good and a hearty breakfast will set you up for the day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your constructive comments and have passed these on to Kevin and his team who will be pleased to read them.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards.
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I used to visit this Hotel many years ago when I lived in Kendal so thought I would give it a try when visiting friends in the area.

Very central for Kendal restaurants. No parking, although you can park at the station, which is, surprisingly, free.

Receptionist friendly and helpful. Room basic, no hair dryer, clean though and was fine for one night. Plenty of tea and coffee and jiggers of milk.

WhenI returned there seemed to be a coach party of elderly people listening to 'taped music'.

I got the feeling that this hotel survives by taking lots of coach parties.

Overall though for £40 for a room, it did 'what it said on the tin' and represented good value for money, much cheaper than Premier Inn or Travel Lodge in Kendal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your recent stay with us.

With Kind Regards.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Booked a long weekend for 6 six hairy motor bikers and I can't fault the service. The Manager (Kevin)/ staff were very accommodating and even cleared the Hotel garage so could store our bikes in the dry. Kevin was also willing to purchase certain beverages for us if the brand wasn't stock within the hotel..... you wouldn't get this service from mainstream hotels.

The Manager is certainly the best asset to the hotel

Great place to stay for biking around the Lake District!! Great value for money!! And great staff

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Many thanks for your recent review.

I was please to read you had enjoyed your stay at the County Hotel - Kendal.

Kevin is a very good manager and has built a very good team there over the last year or so.

Once again many thanks and we hope to see you again soon.

Kind regads
Lake Wales, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed one night, on arrival reception was very friendly, check in was supposed to be 3pm but had arrived early and they allowed us to check in about 3 hours early at no extra cost. we had just come off the train, as as soon as we were out of the station the hotel was easy to spot, great location, 2 mins walk from the shops. The rooms were basic but had everything u needed, and very clean. We were offered breakfast for a reasonable £5 but as we were at a wedding, knew we probably wouldn't be up in time! Which we weren't! We did actually get up a bit late and were not out of our rooms by checkout time, despite this, we were not charged any extra.. Kevin on reception was helpful and friendly with all requests, including directions, taxis etc..would definatly stay again!

• Stayed May 2013
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Kevin and his team who will be pleased to read them.

Thank you once again for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards
Kendal, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have marked this hotel a 3, after staying for 5 weeks on business. On the second week of my stay I was very badly bitten by what the doctor told me was bed bugs. On my return to hotel the Manager assured me that the mattresses were cleaned on a regular basis and could not have been bed bugs. On my last week in a different room the exact symptoms reoccurred again. I once again spoke to the Manager but he seemed to think it was nothing to do with the hotel. I beg to differ that is why I shall not be staying at this hotel again. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Many thanks for your review of your recent stay.

We have investigated your comments and found no trace of bed bugs. We are sorry that your stay was overshadowed by this matter and I can assure you that your comments have been taken seriously and as such we have also taken all precautionary steps to ensure that none are present within the hotel.

Once again I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you feel unable to stay at the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Went here with my Walking Group 2 weeks ago. Staff were very nice and helpful. Had to call on Kevin to sort out the telly, he did very quickly. Nice room, comfortable just needed a bit more updating. Food on the whole was great, especially the poached eggs for breakfast.We (nearly all on our table)said how good they were.The food was always well cooked and hot.
K evin told us there was even a place for cleaning off the muddy shoes etc.When we left a few of the staff even came to wave us off and Kevin thanked us for being a good crowd to look after. A happy and cheerful place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Gemma A, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the County Hotel, Kendal.

With kind regards.

Been to County Hotel? Share your experiences!