“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

We ate at the Strickland Arms on 4th Oct and although the service was excellent, the meal was probably one of the worse meals I have had in the last few years. I had venison which was tough, the veg was very under done and the red wine jus had never seen red wine. It was like thickened potato water. My husband had chocolate brownie for pudding and it was burnt. I had sticky toffee pudding and it was drowned in far too much sauce. I appreciate that restaurants can have off days & we really like the Strickland Arms so I sent an email to raise my concerns. Sadly I have not had any response which is very disappointing. Such a shame.

Visited October 2013

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Great fresh food , Superb choice of real ale and all at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

It's interesting reading the reviews after having visited somewhere : I can see why the wide variation in star rating. The downstairs comprises of a bar area where you can't book and a restaurant area where you can. Upstairs is more restaurant - haven't been up there in 3 years so don't know what it's like now. Downstairs is wooden tables and chairs with cushions - basic , rustic and with character. There are 7 real ales that change on a regular basis - if you're not sure you can have 3 x third of a pint for the same price as a pint. There are 2 menus - standard and specials. The value in my opinion does vary from dish to dish, but choose wisely and enjoy. We had a sea bass starter for £6.50 and stuffed pheasant breast for £14.25 and at the end we were well replenished - and I have a good appetite. However fish an chips ( great portions ) is £12.50 - so it depends what you want. I have eaten thee 3 or 4 times and have always been impressed by the willingness to please and the service - and the beer. The specials menu contain dishes not usually found on a standard pub menu : if standard pub fare is what you want it's there but probably higher priced than a normal pub. I like it and will go back , again and again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Preston, UK
“Surprisingly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We came across this pub by chance after a bracing walk in the local countryside, and were encouraged by the number of cars parked on the road outside. We were greeted by a very friendly host who showed us to a table upstairs. Both upstairs and downstairs was packed with diners and there was a lively atmosphere. We ordered drinks first and the 2 men in the party were enthusiastic about the beer. There was a very inviting menu with seasonal and mainly local produce. In spite of it being so busy, we didn't have to wait too long for the meal to be served (but not so quickly that we would have suspected the use of a microwave!) My wild boar-stuffed pheasant breast on a bed of dauphinoise potatoes was absolutely delicious, tender and juicy meat. My husband had the duck and damson burger, again delicious and the especially praised the chips. The other members of our party had the cold meat and cheese platter with homemade chutney, again highly praised. The waitresses were very friendly and efficient. The decor may not be new but it is a country pub after all and you get what it says on the tin, apart from the food which is far better than any pub I've eaten in for a long time (and I am VERY choosy!) There are plenty of tables outside and a lovely beer garden.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Off day?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

When we arrived, at about 8pm on a Saturday evening, there were several dishes on the menu which were not available which was a shame. The potted shrimps were truly excellent, but none of the people in our party were particularly satisfied with their main courses. My burger was not what I would have expected for the price and most of the others found their portions over-large and were unable to finish them. As a result, the prices seemed too high and it would be better if they reduced the amount of food served and the prices correspondingly.
However, the atmosphere was super with a large spacious area to eat in and the staff seemed friendly and attentive.
I had heard good things about this restaurant, so I was disappointed, but I must review it as I found it. With a few changes, it could be very good

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Strictly for those looking for a land of promise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

A heavenly experience awaits those who seek great service, fantastic food in traditional surroundings at an affordable price.

• Visited September 2013