“Fabulous Food” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our favourite restaurant !
The food is always great, and the service is always extra special.
Very popular at weekends, so be sure to reserve a table in advance.

Visited December 2012

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A wonderful dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We ate here twice on our visit to the Lake District. Both times we left feeling bowled over. The menu, whilst not the longest, offers something for everyone. I would rather a shorter menu knowing that each dish has been carefully thought out, than pages of dishes churned out on mass. The wine list is impressive. The puddings are scrumptious. And the toilets.... interesting to visit! I love the decoration that fills the Jumble Room, it feels warm and lovingly put together to create something of interest at every turn.
Local produce always attracts a higher premium but for that you get what you pay for. Our steaks were melt in the mouth and worth every penny!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Andrew H, Owner at Jumble Room, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Hi Sasha, thank you very much for a simply wonderful review....its a lovely one to get after a couple of strange ones.... you obviously "Do Get It" ...we don't often understand what we've done wrong....as if we were trying to make peoples evenings miserable...there must be some very bitter people out there....but.....youve made our christmas, thank you so much and i hope we'll see you next year, all the best, Merry Christmas, Andy Hill
Wexford
“Don't get it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Jumble Room clearly has something, I just can't see what. The menu is eclectic, with many British favourites and Mediterranean flavours like koftas, think Robert Carrier's Great Dishes of the World. Cooking is no more than competent, a sea bass starter was on the well done side, and other dishes were straight forward and not memorable, eg. the koftas.
Like some others, I found the prices steep for a casual dining restaurant. A prosecco cocktail at 5p shy of £9.00 was too much for 125ml of wine & a splash of creme de framboise (ok, there's prosecco and there's prosecco, but to get a return of over £50 on a bottle is more about maximising sales than giving your customers a nice seasonal treat). The restaurant runs on a small team and capital investment looks minimal (lots of jumble), thus difficult to understand the high prices (other than the expense and hardship of living in Grasmere, that is).
The ambience is comfortable, lots going on and a nice buzz. This, I suspect is a large part of the appeal of this restaurant. The tub chairs at the upstairs tables are uncomfortable for the purpose of eating a meal.
In summary, I wouldn't return to the jumble room, but acknowledge that it clearly has something. It's just that I don't get it.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Andrew H, Owner at Jumble Room, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Hi Killurinranbler..........i think your looking too hard....have a merry christmas,
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We ate here on the second night of our stay in Grasmere following a recommendation from a friend. We were fortunate to get a lovely table for two downstairs. It was really busy (full) and great atmosphere even though Grasmere was incredibly quiet. The waitress was lovely and very knowledgeable. Food was fanatastic in every way. It's very quirky but this adds to the dining experience. We will definitely return on our next trip to Grasmere.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Andrew H, Owner at Jumble Room, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Hi Pennybambi, thank you very much for taking the time to give us a lovely review, merry christmas, Andy Hill
Keswick, United Kingdom
“The Emperor's New Clothes!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We went there one Friday night for our wedding anniversary. I wanted to take her to somewhere special, well big mistake! I love eating out and normally I won't complain, but this was a rip off!
Drinks are very expensive and the atmosphere I'd not greater at all!
For starter we had fig and pomorgranet salad, expensive but not bad. My wife's sirloin stake was perfectly cooked ( perhaps in some sort of hot oven) but totally taste less, for £26 We give this one a big poor rating.
I ordered the lamb hot tatie, very average, just the normal taste of lamb and rosemary, nothing special.
I don't know how this restaurant has so many "fantastic" ratings!? But it reminds me of "The Emperor's New Clothes"
Perhaps there are people who think this is noting special, but they don't want to be seen as " unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent" by saying it!

I should have give them a terrible rating for value of money, but because they are clever and playing it right empty hand, I rate them as pooooor..

Hi Homeplanet.........sorry we weren't for you, regards, Andy