“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moss Grove Organic

You added Moss Grove Organic to your Saves list
Moss Grove Organic
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   off A591, Ambleside, Grasmere LA22 9SW, England   |
Ranked #12 of 21 Grasmere B&B and Inns
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Whether this is a hotel a guesthouse or a B&B , does it really matter ??? The rooms are all beautiful , the bathrooms are stunning , the breakfast is lush and the lounge area has loads of tables to sit at " on your own " if you are anti-social The staff were all lovely to us and were always welcoming .
We loved every aspect of our stay and cannot wait to go back again
Grasmere is beautiful and so is Moss grove organic :)

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Out stay at this hotel was lovely! Grasmere is a great place to visit and this guesthouse is a gem! We had one night in the ground floor suite which has a fabulous outdoor hot-tub (as it often does in the Lakes it was raining but the hot-tub is sheltered, very private and really nice in contrast with the rain). The room was a great size, huge comfy bed and lovely products in the bathroom!! The staff here were brilliant, we were traveling with our cocker spaniel who got fussed and treated (to tasty organic sausages) loads! Really friendly and pleasant :) The hotel had a really relaxed atmosphere and it is great to see a business dedicated to keeping things local, organic and Eco friendly. Breakfast is a Mediterranean selection, great selection of different foods - tip the croissants are homemade and delicious! Moss Grove Organic is more of a guest house as you have to go into Grasmere to dine which we found no problem as we ate at the Jumble Room which we have also reviewed and recommend! We enjoyed our stay at Moss Grove Organic so much...we stayed another night :) Thank you Moss Grove Organic and your staff, we will definitely be returning!!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a dog there are two rooms, one is the suite and the other an executive roo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
north east England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Great place. Check out rooms as some are very low ceilings. Staff were super helpful and accommodating. Quirky set up for breakfast. Ecowarrior s dream . Great walks from doorstep. Lovely restaurant s nearby and a couple if pubs .

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Moss Grove Organic over Easter weekend 2014, and had an enjoyable time in Grasmere.

It would be prudent to first address a common question about this establishment; namely is it a hotel, a guest house or a B&B? Most reviewers seem to touch on this point, and I would describe it as a guest house. It's not a hotel, and it doesn't have the facilities of a hotel. It's not as cosy as a B&B either. If you are quite alright with that, you may find Moss Grove an enjoyable place to stay. It is not a great deal better, or worse, than many of the surrounding establishments but the pricing tends to be somewhat stiffer.

My reasons for going were that my wife booked a room fairly close to the Bank Holiday weekend. Our usual accomodation at How Foot Lodge by the Wordsworth Museum was fully booked, so we took a chance on Moss Grove. We have previously admired the looks and location of the place from afar, but this was our first time staying there. We were upgraded in secret by a family member to Room 2, which is the ground floor suite with a jacuzzi on a private patio to the rear. The location of the Moss Grove is fantastic. You could not pick a more central location in Grasmere, and the building is picturesque in both day and night. Access to local restaurants and walks is brilliant; you are but a minute's walk from Tweedies bar and about two minutes walk from the local Co-Op store. However, the central location does have a serious downside, and that is the dismal parking situation. Grasmere has become ever more popular over recent years and parking space is fiercely defended and at a premium. The parking lot at the front of the building does not appear to service the needs of the business and it seems a frequent complaint that there are more rooms/booking spaces than the car park can provide for. I was lucky to grab a space right at the front door which afforded me an easy manoeuvre out onto the main road when I left, but during certain times less considerate guests had double parked. However, I cannot say whether they made arrangements with the staff to have their keys available to the owners of the cars they had blocked in. When it came to checking out, I was eager to get away quickly to prevent the arrival of a new guest blocking my car in. I was also relieved I took a small car on the trip, if I had taken a bigger car I would likely have struggled to get the doors open once I had parked it! It does not seem that a solution to this issue is forthcoming, other than to charge for parking and limit the number of spaces at the hotel.

The room itself I found very comfortable. The bathroom was massive, though the glass door between the bedroom and bathroom had massive panel gaps. It looks stylish and trendy, though as such, it offered no insulation of privacy for conducting private business, so I would not recommend this room for a newly dating couple who have not yet confronted the realities of 'the call of nature'. The shower was fantastic and the range of Pure Lakes Organic Skincare products were delightful, a real cut above what one would usually find in a guest house. The filtered tap water was a nice touch and saved me drinking bottled water for my stay. The linen was fresh and luxurious. The bed was massive, and found the firm mattress very comfortable. However, noise was an issue, particularly during the night. Given that Room 2 is next to the kitchen and staff desk, I could accept some noise during the day. However at night, the thin walls and ceilings did little to disguise the noise made by other guests (including the sounds of a woman in the room above amidst the throes of passion!).

I did greatly enjoy the jacuzzi, and would recommend upgrading to the suite for this feature if you can. The patio area with the jacuzzi is quite private and the facility is generally clean. It really lifted the stay to something a bit more special, and I must admit I would probably have been a little bored without the distraction it offered.

Breakfast was not really to my taste. I didn't think it offered particularly good value for money, and though the choice was eclectic, a lot of the stuff on offer was not to my taste. I find the best breakfast before a day walking in the fells is a hearty full English (a rare treat). As such, the organic selection didn't greatly interest me. Oddities like the basil flavoured tofu, and the spring rolls were an interesting distraction but hardly a replacement for a hearty rasher of bacon and a fried egg. The glasses for the fruit juice are also very small, and I required frequent return trips to slake my thirst. Being on the ground floor, I found the arrangement of taking my tray to my room quite acceptable, though I did glance into the lounge area where other guests were dining - it didn't look like the most comfortable experience. Whilst the breakfast selection works hard to stick to the brief of organic, fair trade or local produce, it does not represent value for money given the top-end pricing of the Moss Grove.

The Moss Grove represents a unique proposition, given it's fantastic location and interesting mission for sustainable, organic accommodation. You may find some satisfaction in their goals, and that may increase your enjoyment. I would probably stay again, but only if my preferred accommodation was fully booked and I could book Room 2. I would, however, definitely recommend trying the Moss Grove; you might find that you really 'click' with what they're doing and have yourself a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room 2, with the private jacuzzi on the patio, is a delight.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend.

She had never stayed in the lakes so wanted somewhere special to stay on her birthday, the Moss Grove is just that.

We stayed in room 3 which is one of the best rooms I have ever had the pleasure to stay in.

The bed is amazing....If it was any bigger you would need a sat nav

The owners was very friendly and helpful and gave us a guided tour on arrival.

We stayed for two days and didn't want to leave.

I would defiantly go back there !

Room Tip: Room 3 is amazing
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Other reviewers seem to love or hate this place. I fall into the latter category. Really this is a slightly more upmarket version of a bunk house but the price cannot justify the quality.

Not enough parking spaces for the number of rooms which inevitable meant double parking. Not exactly convenient when you are trying to leave, have been blocked in by another guest who has disappeared...) no warm and friendly greeting upon checking in - indifferent staff.

A lovely communal living area that you can't use after 9pm as the staff all leave at that time and lock everything up. Access to DVD's until 9pm because of the same reason.

Breakfast arrangements were quite frankly weird; collect your breakfast on trays from the kitchen and bring into living area to eat on sofa's or sit where you can at a table. The room was silent apart from other people munching. Some quiet background music wouldn't have gone amiss just to make it feel less like. Doctors waiting room.

Personally I'm not keen on seeing strangers in their pj's first thing in the morning...

The breakfast was good if you like tiny portions of nuts and seeds. I've never had a spring roll until breakfast until my stay here! It would have been good to have had hot food available - a sausage does not count as a cooked breakfast in my book.

It was quiet here, the room was far too hot or far too cold - nothing quite comfortable. If you like sleeping on the hardest bed in the world, this is the place for you.

Sadly the overall experience was one I did not enjoy, and would recommend other hotels in the area which are much cheaper and better quality than this.

This place is run as a business alone. Little focus on customers and they are the ones who count.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Wonderful stay at the Moss Grove for my fiancé's birthday. The room was delightful, decorated beautifully and the spa bath was amazing. Located in the heart of Grasmere, it's ideally situated for the local restaurants and shops. The breakfast was beautiful, home made bread, organic cereals, ham, fruit salad, something a little different to a usual fry up! We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Moss Grove Organic? Share your experiences!