“Well worth the view from the top” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Bodies of Water
Attraction Details
Scotland
21 attraction reviews
“Well worth the view from the top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a longer walk from Grasmere than most of the guide books seem to suggest - I would think you're not going to do it in less than about 4-5 hours round trip. The main pathway starts on a regular road, and then onto some well made slate paths take you along the eastern side of the valley and beck until you start climbing up towards the waterfall, and then it gets a bit more tricky - though nothing to bother about unless you don't want to pick your way slowly over boulders. Once at the top, the walk around the tarn itself is more or less flat, and you can then return to Grasmere on the opposite (west) side of the valley). This return route is more challenging: though overall it's probably less steep, it's not so clearly marked and there are many more random boulders to deal with (and I would think definitely easier to come down than it would be to go up). The view from the top, and the changing scenery on the way, are worth it - I would definitely do it again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“One of the top days of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Walked here from Grasmere.
We walk a little, but are out of shape.
I didn't know what a tarn was, and I won't spoil the moment for others that don't, but when I saw it, when I got to the top, I was speechless, and felt quite emotional (unusual for me)
If you only walk a little bit, it's a medium difficulty walk, but you need good walking boots!
I went with road walking shoes, and I was in bogs (in a wet Feb) up over my shoes - I had very wet feet!
We did a GPS counted 7 miles from Grasmere, to the tarn, around it, and back down. It's not steep, but it's a bit rocky.

Amazing though...loved my day.

Manchester
“Fantastic family walk in the snow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great scenery in a short walk; waterfalls and snowcapped fells, blue skies and a tarn. A good circular walk.

Parksville, BC
16 attraction reviews
“Great Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We walked from Grasmere up past Easedale Tarn, south along the ridge and back down the next valley into Grasmere. It had been raining and in places the path was covered in water, forcing us to detour through boggy areas, but all part of the adventure. The climb was strenuous in some areas, but the views were fantastic, and it was a great day's hiking.

Visited September 2012
Durham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Nice walks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We walked this on our second day for all it was raining the views are fantastic, we also saw a lot of wild life, it is not to much of a walk if you are new to this type of holiday

Visited January 2013